IO -United lost my luggage....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
Bullshit. Are you drunk.

Pretty rude hip hop. Can we please show some respect when having discussions here?

This thread is a little hot headed. How about we not ruin it for the thread starter by arguing.

Thank you.

Ah, United. :wink: They left my luggage in NY from DC and I flew all the way to the Philippines with a backpack. Coming back to DC, the same thing happened.

Oh, and ugly baggage claim lady humiliated me in front of other passengers at the airport too.

The prize for complaining? A $100 travel voucher. :angry:

You gotta :heart: United.

:madspit:

RedrocksU2 said:
Update....

No luck, it's been 3 days and no sign of my luggage....

It's too bad because besides my clothes...there was some product that I received from my Corporation for free.....expensive stuff......now United is gonna have to pay up for it.

This sucks!

Well, they have five days to get it back to you before it is truly "lost"...and if this is not a trip home, they would compensate you (depends on the airline's DOT approved commitment to the customer).

If it doesn't show up, I would like to know what/how they settle with you for the stuff inside. Often, the international "tariffs" (rules) do not hold airlines responsible for "stuff received from your corporation."

Keep us updated.

Re: Re: Re: Re: if this doesn't kill the thread......

But, when is it a claim? Is it already a claim when the bag is delayed for two days? No, it isn´t. You see, I am speaking of personal experience, I did 13 flights, and at three of them, my luggage was treated wrong - twice it was delayed, and once it was ruined. [Oh another time I had problems because I carried a scissor in the hand luggage, but I understand that - that´s my mistake]. However, I complained on some papers to get them back, but I didn´t file an official claim. i think it depends on the counting, and I know many more persons than those 0,6% have a problem with their baggage on flights, officially claimed or not claimed. Indeed, mosdt of the bags are returned within 48 hours. There´s only a claim when the baggage is officialy lost. Anyway, those 48 hours of delay means the traveller can´t continue his trip like he planned to.

So lets talk reality and acknowledge that the percentage of official claims has nothing to do with the number of unsatisfied customers for delayed baggage.

Also, there are interesting statistics about luggage problems with he airlines, last year air travel increased about 5% amongst air travelers but complaints about baggage doubled, see http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/Lost luggage, what to do.htm for details.

Three of my 13 flights were overbooked. The airlines do that intentionally, calculating some passengers will miss the plane or not use their ticket. then there starts the trouble: They offer compensation to the people if they take a later flight. What kind of chaotic business is that?

Another article on http://www.ticked.com/cheapcharlie/2000/chbag.htm

"Virtually everyone who has flown has heard stories about missing bags and lost luggage. Though the airlines try to put a benign face on the problem and couch the "numbers" in per-thousand terminology (as mandated by the federal government) they know they have a problem.

United Airlines -7.79 bags per 1,000 passengers
Alaska -7.27
Northwest - 6.63
TWA - 5.39
Southwest - 4.53
American - 4.40
Delta - 4.27
US Airways - 4.09
Continental - 4.06
America West - 3.88

This means that one bag is lost for about every 250 to 130 passengers. Another way to look at it - one passenger on every flight will lose their luggage. And remember, these statistics are only the lost luggage that is reported to DOT. Simple misrouted luggage doesn't make it to this mix."

My math may have been fuzzy...but the numbers you have pulled are the same. I got my info from the monthly reports released by the FAA at FAA.gov.

All the airlines are required to report ALL claims taken. There is no time requirement on the claim. It could come in a flight arriving ten minutes later...if the claim is taken...it is reported to DOT and FAA. Airlines are required to take a claim if the passenger requests one (unless it is OBVIOUS that the bag is there...and trust me, the airline would rather not take a claim...they rather have your bag in your hand and on your way home).

And the stats are CLAIMS per 1000 passengers. And again, 90% of these claims are closed (meaning luggage is reconnected with the passenger) within 24 hours. Misrouted luggage.

My daily life includes reviewing what claims are being charged to MY operation, and making sure that if one of my employees is at fault, that corrective action is taken. If TSA or the airports luggage system is at fault...you better believe I am on their ass.

Again, sometimes "things happen." Straps get caught in the airports inline luggage system....transfer errors occur (we are all human)....and flights get delayed.

Last week...USAir had a women headed to boot camp...she checked her uniform that she would need as soon as she got off the plane for camp. Well, her flight was delayed, so we accepted her on our airline, knowing we could get her there. I RAN all over the airport looking for her bag to get it on our flight. USAir had already sent it to Philly on an earlier flight. Her uniform did not make it with her. I am SO pissed at the USAir agents right now for sending bags before passengers....

bonosgirl84 said:

exactly which part of my post was incoherent enough for you to ask if i was "drunk"?

bonosgirl84 said:

lol, yes, not to your face.

This part. There was absolutely no need to drag a nice meeting of two nice persons in the mud. Additionally, it would be evidence of incapacity if something annoys a stewardess but she doesn´t have the nerve to tell me. :|

Therefore, not only you tried to slate me, but also her.

You just got what you asked for. Don´t bug me now.. get another of your sticky Eristoffs and have fun. ok?

Sicy said:

Pretty rude hip hop. Can we please show some respect when having discussions here?

Nope, I have zilch respect for this poster. As you know, usually she´s on my ignore list. Unless she annoys me with mean comments.

RedrocksU2 said:
...those idiots.

....now I gotta buy new underwear.:|

The last time my sister visited me the airline "misplaced" her luggage (hey, I misplaced stuff it would be called lost, I don't get why they can just call it misplaced :mad: ). I must admit I was secretly just a little pleased though, because she had been being a bitch to me then. I couldn't help thinking, that's karma for ya, bitch! :D

Not that I think you've been a bad boy or anything RR... you've always been nice here. :)

I'll send out "find that fucking luggage" vibes in United's direction... :yes:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: if this doesn't kill the thread......

zoney! said:

My math may have been fuzzy...but the numbers you have pulled are the same. I got my info from the monthly reports released by the FAA at FAA.gov.

All the airlines are required to report ALL claims taken. There is no time requirement on the claim. It could come in a flight arriving ten minutes later...if the claim is taken...it is reported to DOT and FAA. Airlines are required to take a claim if the passenger requests one (unless it is OBVIOUS that the bag is there...and trust me, the airline would rather not take a claim...they rather have your bag in your hand and on your way home).

And the stats are CLAIMS per 1000 passengers. And again, 90% of these claims are closed (meaning luggage is reconnected with the passenger) within 24 hours. Misrouted luggage.

My daily life includes reviewing what claims are being charged to MY operation, and making sure that if one of my employees is at fault, that corrective action is taken. If TSA or the airports luggage system is at fault...you better believe I am on their ass.

Again, sometimes "things happen." Straps get caught in the airports inline luggage system....transfer errors occur (we are all human)....and flights get delayed.

Last week...USAir had a women headed to boot camp...she checked her uniform that she would need as soon as she got off the plane for camp. Well, her flight was delayed, so we accepted her on our airline, knowing we could get her there. I RAN all over the airport looking for her bag to get it on our flight. USAir had already sent it to Philly on an earlier flight. Her uniform did not make it with her. I am SO pissed at the USAir agents right now for sending bags before passengers....

What you´re saying is that every delay is a claim. So that website, corporatetravelcity must be wrong? They say there is only a claim when the luggage is lost.

I figured that would be natural... with 0,6% and 95% of the bags returned (without claim) that would be 12% of delayed luggage, that would be near to the estimation I had (and the impression people generally have).

I did 13 flights, 2 times the backpack was delayed.. that´s around 15%. I must have been 30 times more unlucky than the average traveller.

0,6% would indeed be an acceptable rate for "stuff happens". Nobody´s perfect. 5%, 12% or 20%, see, then there´s something wrong with the system.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: if this doesn't kill the thread......

I did 13 flights, 2 times the backpack was delayed.. that´s around 15%. I must have been 30 times more unlucky than the average traveller.

0,6% would indeed be an acceptable rate for "stuff happens". Nobody´s perfect. 5%, 12% or 20%, see, then there´s something wrong with the system.

You were just unlucky with your 15%. Congratulations.

AND, if 5-7% error rate is unacceptable...why don't you come and try and fix it. You seem to know it all.

Do us all a favor and start with KLM in Amsterdam....they are one of the worst!

get another of your sticky Eristoffs and have fun. ok?

wow. i just googled that.

so you're still calling me some sort of drunk then.

your personal attacks in this thread are not only completely out of line, but incredibly cruel.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: if this doesn't kill the thread......

zoney! said:

You were just unlucky with your 15%. Congratulations.

AND, if 5-7% error rate is unacceptable...why don't you come and try and fix it. You seem to know it all.

Do us all a favor and start with KLM in Amsterdam....they are one of the worst!

I never said I knew it all. Just compare it to other businesses. I don´t know, maybe I am biased because I wouldn´t allow my business to have 5% of unsatisfied customers. Maybe the system of routing all that luggage all around the world, the logistics, the rise in travellers, is so amazingly complicated that it can´t be handled otherwise and actually we´re lucky if anything arrives at all. Maybe the airlines would need more luggage staff. Maybe the passenger´s luggage should always be transported with the plane he´s in.

Like I said, my opinion is that 0,6% is a fine percentage, but 5% or 7% is too high. In reality, not me, but rather the airlines themselves should be interested enough to research on this topic. Thats very usual in Customer Care. Generally, when something doesn´t work, a business should try to solve it to improve the quality of its service.

I don´t know KLM that well, didn´t fly with them in the last couple of years.

Re: ...this will

zoney! said:

You know what is lame...when passengers do not realize they are picking up someone elses bag...and walk out of the airport. They get home...and OH LOOK...that isn't MY "adult toy".

:hmm: this is why i never take my gray backpack with me! :D

Nope, I have zilch respect for this poster. As you know, usually she´s on my ignore list. Unless she annoys me with mean comments.

So, nope, you wont follow the rules of the forum and not personally attack other members? I think I asked nicely enough.

If she's on your ignore list, then ignore her.

Sicy said:

I think I asked nicely enough.

If she's on your ignore list, then ignore her.

I always follow your suggestions, Sicy :)
smokin1.gif

:nerd:

stewardess: NOUN: A woman flight attendant. See Usage Note.

Usage Note:
Many critics have argued that there are sexist connotations in the use of the suffix -ess to indicate a female in words like sculptress, waitress, stewardess, and actress. The heart of the problem lies in the nonparallel use of terms to designate men and women. For example, the -or ending on sculptor seems neutral or unmarked. By comparison, sculptress seems to be marked for gender, implying that the task of sculpting differs as performed by women and men or even that the task should typically be performed by a man. For occupational titles, the use of -ess has been almost completely replaced by recently formed gender-neutral compounds such as flight attendant and letter carrier or by the -er/-or forms. The Usage Panel finds use of the -or suffix to refer to women perfectly acceptable. Ninety-five percent of Panelists approve of sculptor in the sentence The gallery is exhibiting work of sculptor Barbara Hepworth. Sculptress is far less accepted; sixty-five percent reject it in the sentence Georgia O'Keeffe is not as well known as a sculptress as she is as a painter. ·A few words ending in -ess, such as goddess and giantess, have long been established in the literature of religion and mythology and are unlikely to be construed as sexist when used in these contexts.

:nerd:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: if this doesn't kill the thread......

I never said I knew it all. Just compare it to other businesses. I don´t know, maybe I am biased because I wouldn´t allow my business to have 5% of unsatisfied customers. Maybe the system of routing all that luggage all around the world, the logistics, the rise in travellers, is so amazingly complicated that it can´t be handled otherwise and actually we´re lucky if anything arrives at all. Maybe the airlines would need more luggage staff. Maybe the passenger´s luggage should always be transported with the plane he´s in.

It is obviously far more complicated than you know of. Adding staff...in a time when people only buy the cheapest ticket...ain't gonna happen.

Again, trying to get 100-250+ passengers on board an aircraft is a challenge....add luggage that does not have feet or a mind of their own that says "go to gate C12" - and you have room for error.

There is no quick and easy situation. Airline employees work daily to do the best they can to get the luggage to the right aircraft, but itme and resources are limited and, as I have said with every post....things happen.

I seriously could go on all day with stories of why luggage does nto end up in the final destination of that individual. I could write a book.

...I just want my luggage. :D...thanks for the insight Zoney.

....now they are saying that it might take up to 6 months to see if "they" decide to pay or replace the contents of my luggage...

United never again.

RedrocksU2 said:
[B
....now they are saying that it might take up to 6 months to see if "they" decide to pay or replace the contents of my luggage...

United never again. [/B]

That sucks big time. :mad:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: if this doesn't kill the thread......

zoney! said:

Adding staff...in a time when people only buy the cheapest ticket...ain't gonna happen.

That´s one of the problems, I agree. People want both, cheap tickets and excellent service without errors or delays.

For example, the airport fees for a plane (standing, not flying) should be reduced, then the airlines would have some leverage.

Now zoney, if the airlines were better off - financially -
do you think they would add staff? I don´t think so. In the corporate world, every business is saving. I haven´t been in the travel biz, but I think you can see those principles everywhere.. the lean managing style, everything has to be tight and flexible and lets merge and fire half of the employees.

That way of conducting business is not reliable. how often did I see "we care for our customers", and in reality no one does. Buy something, as much as possible, and then fu and dont dare to return to complain and I cant explain I have no time, Sir, but I will forward you to our.. at the moment he´s in a meeting, sorry, we´re just the callcenter here.

Know what I mean? Like you say: "Airline employees work daily to do the best they can to get the luggage to the right aircraft, but itme and resources are limited" - I agree, they do.

Still, when I hear wording like "I would say that 50% of the luggage issues stem from a lack of knowledge from a passenger's standpoint" (which sounds like "half of the passengers is dumb, and we have to play nurse for their luggage" expressed more diplomatic), I am tempted to say "Dear Airline Management, clean your own backyards first, then we can discuss about what the passengers do wrong". Can you understand what I mean?

RedrocksU2 said:

United never again.

Six MONTHS?

Holy crap.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: if this doesn't kill the thread......

do you think they would add staff? I don´t think so. In the corporate world, every business is saving. I haven´t been in the travel biz, but I think you can see those principles everywhere.. the lean managing style, everything has to be tight and flexible and lets merge and fire half of the employees.

I disagree ...if there was considerable consumer demand, the airlines would have to add staff just to keep up with the demand.

Still, when I hear wording like "I would say that 50% of the luggage issues stem from a lack of knowledge from a passenger's standpoint" (which sounds like "half of the passengers is dumb, and we have to play nurse for their luggage" expressed more diplomatic), I am tempted to say "Dear Airline Management, clean your own backyards first, then we can discuss about what the passengers do wrong". Can you understand what I mean?

Ummm ... I think zoner is correct here. I travel a bit for my job and it blows me away that by now in our post 9/11 travel world people still do not know what is acceptable and what is not.

Travelers are actually surprised that they have to remove their shoes before going through the security check points -- despite their being signs clearly posted, security personnel alerting passengers in the lines to remove their shoes ahead of time to prevent delays and the fact that every other passenger is taking their shoes off and putting them on the x-ray conveyor belt.

There are far too many travelers who think the rules don't apply to them. And that includes rules about no locks on luggage, no extra straps hanging off their bags, etc.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: if this doesn't kill the thread......

Now, I haven't been in it long enough...but I have studied it A LOT recently. The airline industry is like any industry...very cyclical. Good times and bad times come and go. The industry is near the bottom right now.

Unfortunately, I would think that, like any other business, in good times, you get fat. If I was in charge...it would not be my style...but it happens. And FIRE is a negative conotation in the English language...we lay off or furlough. Fire usually means it was an issue with the individual....not the company.

That way of conducting business is not reliable. how often did I see "we care for our customers", and in reality no one does. Buy something, as much as possible, and then fu and dont dare to return to complain and I cant explain I have no time, Sir, but I will forward you to our.. at the moment he´s in a meeting, sorry, we´re just the callcenter here.

I am not following your tangent here. BUT, if you are on complaints...I happened to review some today. I sit there and review the complaints charged against my operations and want to pull my hair out. I wish I could go into stories here...but I can't. I will sit down over a few beers and tel stories all night....but I can't do it here. Let's just say that, again, there are SO many complicated things that go into flying an aircraft that people just do not understand...and will never be able to.

the problem is, people walk into an airport, and have ZERO control over what happens with them from the time they walk through that door until the time they arrive at their final airport. Weather happens, mechanical problems pop up...things HAPPEN, and people do not have patience because they cannot comprehend why THE AIRLINE is treating them so horribly by delaying their flight (for their safety). People often lose all rationality when it comes to flying.

Their was an interesting exchange in the USA Today the past two days. Some of the airline employees posted the Letters to the Editor. One letter was from a potential passenger of a large American carrier. The person complained that the airline lacked compassion when he tried booking a flight for his wife who was going to an out-of-state hospital for some procedures. He felt that the last minute pricing was way too much.

WELL, an employee of that airline responded. She asked the letter writer if he also expected discounts from the surgeons providing the medical attention. She asked if his mortgage company was going to provide a discount to them because the wife was having the medical experience. It was such a valid point!

Airline ticket prices in the U.S. have not changed in the past 15-20 years. What other products can you say that about?

I laugh becuase I bought an airline ticket for my Vegas U2 trip. I am flying Coast-to-Coast for 241USD. Why did I laugh? Becuase the whole price of my ticket would not pay for the Jet fuel that will be spent on taxiing to the runway out of Philadelphia. And this is WITH the government taxes. I am happy that of all the tickets priced....my company's ticket was the most expensive. I could not afford a ticket on my company with my TWO paycuts (and of course all of the U2 tickets I have purchased recently), so I went with our biggest competitor. And I will be happy to take one of their seats for such a small amount.

I have no idea what you are saying...clear backyards?

There are a lot of passenger errors out there. Not 50%. As I mentioned above, airlines know people LOVE to complain about their horrible experience on an airline. Guess what....you hear this DAILY: "This is the LAST time I fly your airline."

Guess who you see next week? It is ALL about price.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: if this doesn't kill the thread......

zoney! said:

Now, I haven't been in it long enough...but I have studied it A LOT recently. The airline industry is like any industry...very cyclical. Good times and bad times come and go. The industry is near the bottom right now.

Unfortunately, I would think that, like any other business, in good times, you get fat. If I was in charge...it would not be my style...but it happens. And FIRE is a negative conotation in the English language...we lay off or furlough. Fire usually means it was an issue with the individual....not the company.

Ok, laying off instead of firing. Thanks. Can follow your point there about cyclical business. Also agree with the points you made in your last post.

zoney! said:

I am not following your tangent here. BUT, if you are on complaints...I happened to review some today. I sit there and review the complaints charged against my operations and want to pull my hair out.

I can feel for you. Maybe you can follow my tangent when you know that part of my job at a major telecommunication company was Customer Service. Until I was totally burnt out, after three or four years. Too many people complaining about their mobile phones. And how does SMS work anyway.

I guess my call for better management stems from the job there. Everyone expects the staff to be superfriendly and professional, and they work their asses off for minimum wages. Often people don´t realize how much energy it costs.

I wish you a lot of energy for the rest of the week! Try not to explode when they play pool with your nerves.

I have learned how to keep my cool.

I have also learned that there will ALWAYS be "that one customer" that will never get it.

I have also learned the best thing to do is communicate/educate CONSTANTLY and apologize. Many people leave these two important points out....

zoney! said:
I have learned how to keep my cool.

I have also learned that there will ALWAYS be "that one customer" that will never get it.

I have also learned the best thing to do is communicate/educate CONSTANTLY and apologize. Many people leave these two important points out....

True, true :) And when you´ve been busy apologizing about 50 times per day for 2 years or so - and always for the same reasons - and the company that has outsourced because they are afraid of those problems in their own holy halls, lol.. doesn´t change anything, even if they have thousands of complaints - one gets very cynical at a certain point. Next person you got on the phone is a 12yr old kid saying youre gay, hahaha.

I was fed up, got very critical of the job and of myself, because I want 100% quality of my own service first and foremost. When I realized I couldn´t possibly give those 100% anymore I looked for another job.

That´s why I can so relate to what you say.

When you´re a customer, however, you see things from his point of view.. you see.. things happen. Its just not the top thing when your backpack is cut and ruined and half of the things drop out, even if you didn´t put any lock on, and you arrive in San Jose, Costa Rica, in the evening, it is raining, and first thing you have to do after checking in your hotel is to go to a luggage repair service by taxi, you don´t know Spanish well, you sdont know if you will find the address, you have to telephone Iberia twice to make sure that they will pay the repair, after two metres out of the taxi you´re soaking wet, spending an hour there, amongst 35 other ruined bags... your luggage gets repaired but you haven´t eaten since you had to fix that first, the plane was delayed so its already 11 p.m. and you take another taxi to the hotel. You know, that´s just.. a string of events that costs people part of their happiness in their holidays. (and not the airlines´ fault in that case - but it is their agents who say triple sorry, instead of the TSA).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom