IO: Tom Cruise is in the news again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unosdostres14

Refugee
Cruise, Lauer argue on 'Today'
'Worlds' star: 'You don't know the history of psychiatry. I do'

Saturday, June 25, 2005 Posted: 1528 GMT (2328 HKT)

Matt Lauer and Tom Cruise on the "Today" show. -- Let the cynics talk. Tom Cruise is in love -- and he just can't restrain himself.

"You know what? There's always cynics. There always has been. There always will be," said Cruise, who hasn't been shy about displaying his affection for "Batman Begins" actress Katie Holmes. "I have never worried ... about what other people think and what other people say."

Cruise, 42, and Holmes, 26, went public with their romance in April, smooching and posing for photographers in Rome. They recently became engaged.

Many have doubted the romance -- the words "publicity stunt" have rained down on the couple as Cruise has promoted his new film, "War of the Worlds," directed by Steven Spielberg, which opens on June 29.

"I have to tell you. It's just a great time in my life," Cruise said in an interview that aired Friday on NBC's "Today" show. "I'm really happy. And, you know, I'm engaged. I'm going to be married. I can't restrain myself."

The actor, whose marriages to Mimi Rogers and Nicole Kidman ended in divorce, declined to say what Holmes has brought to his life that wasn't there in the past.

"I don't want to compare things," Cruise said. "It's that thing where you just -- in life when it just happens. ... You meet someone. And it's -- I can't even describe it."

When asked if he could be with someone at this stage in his life who doesn't have an interest in the Church of Scientology -- Holmes has said she's embracing the religion -- Cruise told interviewer Matt Lauer: "Scientology is something that you don't understand. It's like you could be a Christian and be a Scientologist.

"It is a religion. Because it's dealing with the spirit. You as a spiritual being." When Lauer mentioned Cruise's earlier criticism of Brooke Shields for taking anti-depressants, Cruise told the "Today" show co-host he didn't know what he was talking about.

"You don't know the history of psychiatry. I do," Cruise said.

The interview became more heated when Lauer, who said he knew people who had been helped by the attention-deficit disorder drug Ritalin, asked Cruise about the effects of the drug.

"Matt, Matt, you don't even -- you're glib," Cruise responded. "You don't even know what Ritalin is. If you start talking about chemical imbalance, you have to evaluate and read the research papers on how they came up with these theories, Matt, OK. That's what I've done."

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. :)huh: ....whoops!)

i honestly can't believe some people's views on medicine. medicine can help people. i mean it's not one specific religion, i know some religions are against blood transfusions and things. i can't believe he actually sat there and told matt lauer he didn't know what he was talking about when he said ritalin has helped people with add. i mean when you think of add meds, you think ritalin. for him to sit back and say it's ineffective and matt is an idiot for believing so is an insult for the millions of dollars of R&D countries around the world spend so people don't have to be sick.

i consider myself a religious person but jesus christ if i'm sick and i need a blood transfusion or a kidney, fucking give it to me. if god didn't...oh geez i'm not going to turn this into a religious debate but that is one crazy view to have in these times about something as helpful as ritalin and anti-depressants.

omg khan, my boss was saying almost exactly the same thing today

of course, i tuned her out about halfway through, though :wink:

Back
Top Bottom