IO This SERVER BLOWS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think some maintenance needs to be done but Elvis is out of town at the moment. He is aware of the slowness/weird shit that we have been encountering lately.

First, I'd like to address the problems in the past week.... we had a log running on the server, which wasnt supposed to be running.... this file finally built up to about 80 gigs which caused the primary drive partition to be full... thus causing some major problems with the database. It ends up that it was this same thing causing other similar problems within the past month, but I didnt realize exactly what was going on. This issue is now resolved and shouldnt happen again.

As a result of the problem late last week... I ended up having to do work on the DB to make sure everything was OK,.. however, although it said it was... it seems over the last few days (while I was away) the DB was having 'connection failures'. Usually when this happens, if it happens, the DB and the webserver just need to be shutdown and restarted.... and I just did that about 20 minutes ago... so far, no 'connection failures', so unless I start getting more email from the DB (yes, it sends me email for EVERY error)... we should be good to go.

On the issue of the new server.... I said it then, and I'll say it now... when we set out to replace the old server, I also said that once tour time approached we made need to add another additional server (not a replacement) because of high-traffic times. This still maybe the case.

There is no magic bullet. The more infrastructure we have, the more it will be used. This is, and has, always the case.

but did you even replace the old server? or get a second one to use as backup?

whatever you have going now is doing worse than whatever was in place when HTDAAB came out (that's still the time that holds the record for most people here at one time, anyway, so i'd assume you could take that as an indication that traffic was heavier then), and it wasn't even this wierd when the tour shit started up. do that many people really pay attention to the grammy awards? (i'm guessing that's what the biggest u2-related happening of late was, i'm not exactly up on what larry is eating for breakfast and when adam brushes his teeth like i used to be)

appologies if you addressed this in your DB-blah blah post, i don't understand elite-internet-nerd speak.

sinking.jpg

For some reason... which im trying to determine... the database server restarted itself... thus casuing the 'errors' for about 50 seconds. Still trying to find out why its doing this.

Well... Ive sort of determined what maybe causing the problem, but I'm not sure WHY yet....

I'm now in Florida, so it was 649am for me when it happened and was a direct result (although not sure why) of something administrative I was doing with the forum.

I will get to the bottom of the problem... its being caused by software, that I do know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom