IO This SERVER BLOWS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not meaning to be disrespectful to you, Elvis, or anyone else - but it is absolutely infuriating when you keep getting that same damn message on the screen: "the server is too busy". AARRRRRGGGGHHH!:madspit:

It gives me flashbacks to the Ticketmaster debacle!

I feel better now. :wink:

We've got another new server on order... will hopefully be up and running this coming week and should make these problems vanish.

Can you have a dedicated server for premium members, the way LiveJournal does or is that not an option w/ a message board?

anitram said:
Can you have a dedicated server for premium members, the way LiveJournal does or is that not an option w/ a message board?

Nope. Doesnt work that way. This entire site is powered by one massive database (about 4gigs in size).

Just a thought...How about just not letting new members on the board? or guests? Because all these new people are really hogging the server... Or does that have nothing to do with the server? Please let me know because I'm about to go out of my mind.

U2Girl1978 said:
Just a thought...How about just not letting new members on the board? or guests? Because all these new people are really hogging the server... Or does that have nothing to do with the server? Please let me know because I'm about to go out of my mind.

Its not that simple. Right now is a VERY busy time with U2. As Ive said, another new server is on order and will be setup this week.

Yay! New server!

Last night was fine, until the songs from the April 1st concert were being uploaded onto YSI. Suddenly the ol' "server is too busy" errors occurred. What's odd about that is the timing: it was midnight on Sat. on the east coast of the U.S. This means it was early morning in Europe and also very late elsewhere in the U.S. So it really surprised me that the server would be bogged down with people mostly looking at webpages, given the time of day it was and the fact that they weren't replying as much as they were just reading. It just seems this server can't take much abuse. :D

doctorwho said:
Last night was fine, until the songs from the April 1st concert were being uploaded onto YSI. Suddenly the ol' "server is too busy" errors occurred. What's odd about that is the timing: it was midnight on Sat. on the east coast of the U.S. This means it was early morning in Europe and also very late elsewhere in the U.S. So it really surprised me that the server would be bogged down with people mostly looking at webpages, given the time of day it was and the fact that they weren't replying as much as they were just reading. It just seems this server can't take much abuse. :D

Well, I don't know the exact time when the songs were posted (still haven't downloaded anything), but the concert ended around 9:00 AM CET on a Saturday morning. So Europe was waking up and having lots of time to download a concert. :)

doctorwho said:
Yay! New server!

First, let me explain something....
The forum isnt the only part of this site that generates traffic. That said, as I've said previously... the entire site is run on a single massive database, like most data.... it's stored on a harddisk ;) ... essentially what happens is that when A LOT of people all make database queries it accesses the disk rapidly... and occassionly these queries are actually sent faster than the disk (not the processor) can handle them. When this happens, queries (or the data access calls to the disk) queue up, waiting for the disk (and data) to become available... thus causing a slow down, or what appears to be one. During this time, people keep slamming the server, pressing refresh, loading new pages, etc etc..... and the queue just builds, and builds, until it can catch up with its proper pace. Those familiar with tech lingo would say that this is a 'disk I/O problem'. The new server, which is being built now, has MUCH faster harddisks... over twice the overall speed and performance.

IF/WHEN we outgrow the new server EVENTUALLY.... lol... which undoubtedly we will unless U2 break up sometime soon.... I'll most likely move to a server cluster... which is multiple servers acting as one. That option is quite costly, and wont be considered until/unless it's needed.

The new server will handle our needs.... the demanding U2 freaks we are.

Joel

Doozer61 said:
:hmm: didn't we just get a new server?

i know i donated to something...

Elvis said we did, Doozer :up:

Although we have not completed raising the money for the new server, getting a new server could NOT wait. We were dragggggggggggggggggging so bad... So I went ahead and ordered it, tested it, and now it's live :D ... and FAST

Or, maybe we're getting ANOTHER new server

The new server, which is being built now, has MUCH faster harddisks... over twice the overall speed and performance.

I am a bit confused by all this server talk. What was the original fundraiser for? Didn't we get a new server, how do we afford a new one? Will there be another fundraiser? :huh:

Last edited:
We did get a new server.

We've already outgrown that 'new' server.

We're getting another NEW server which is more powerful/faster/robust than the current 'new' server.

Follow that?

Lara Mullen said:

I am a bit confused by all this server talk. What was the original fundraiser for? Didn't we get a new server, how do we afford a new one? Will there be another fundraiser? :huh:

1) the current 'new' server

2) It is being paid for both out of my own pocket, and from Premium Memberships.

3) No. See (2).

Just a status update.... I ordered another gig of memory for the new server... and I want to have everything done in one window of time... so a time for the switch has not been set yet.

biltmore.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom