io: my name gets butchered on a daily basis.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cell

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
lets see...i've had people call me michelle, rachelle, isabelle, estelle, and worst...jezebel.

im pretty good at enunciating my name. and the coworkers who introduce me to callers over the phone are careful to pronounce my name correctly.

so why did i get called rachelle today? why?? why??

At least it wasn't Michael... as in the guys name. :shifty: I'm still wondering how one of my customers got John from Trevor. :huh:

I get the same thing with my last name, Dole. For some reason people often say Doyle! And just the other day, someone called me Bob, my name's Jim dammit! and this was in a replied email with my name staring them right in the face. haha...oh well.

:lmao: I get the same thing with my last name. flem, flam, flum. paflaum, lapflaum, it's pflaum:mad: :rant:

Arghhhh I get this alllll the freakin time at work. They usually say Joanne or Juliette over the phone. Sometimes I have to correct them because I get so pissed when they kill my name. It's not that difficult to pronounce! I mean WTF! :no:

My whole life people have the hardest time with Carmella. :shrug:

Car mel la

really really easy, or you would think so, but I get Camilla, Carmello, Carmel, Caswella :wink: that one I don't mind as much.

Friends and family usually just say Carm, but my co-workers have gotten in to the habit of calling me Carmie :mad: :crack:

People screw up Katherine a lot. Some people call me Katrina...and I really hate when people pronounce it like "Kath-REEN"...or "Kath-uh-RINE". Are those even names?? :angry:

I also don't like being called Kathy. Ernie's grandma has been staying with us all month, and she calls me Kathy.

At least she stopped calling me Kelly. That's the name of Ernie's ex-girlfriend (the family favorite, from my understanding...the one they thought he was supposed to marry). :mad:

Rene'--I get called Renie, Rena, Rene, also someone called me Rose (which I kind of liked) No one can spell it either. My nickname is Wren which was an offspring of someone not saying Rene'--that one stuck. So just call me Wren. :wink:

you folks think you have it bad, I have an Italian last name w/ an apostrpohe, 2 capital letters, and then 3 vowels in a row !!!
:shocked:

People either butcher it or just ignore it and call me by my first name.

My name on all of my mail gets messed up......I've seen my name get mispelled 30 different ways.

Capital letter, apostrophe, capital letter (vowel), vowel, vowel, consanant, consanant, vowel:mad:

Numb1075 said:
you folks think you have it bad, I have an Italian last name w/ an apostrpohe, 2 capital letters, and then 3 vowels in a row !!!
:shocked:

My boyfriend's last name is Italian as well...I always make fun of how his name gets butchered on his mail. :laugh:

When we first started dating, I asked him how to pronounce his last name...but he made me attempt to pronounce it before he'd tell me. Of course, I screwed it up. :mad: :lol:

When I was learning to write in cursive, the first word I learned was "Julie", my sister's name...except I had problems with my J's and was actually writing g's..."gulie". Nobody had the heart to tell me at the time. :angry:

People mispronounce my name all the time.

Leah pr Lee-uh

Get get Lee, Lay-uh, Layla, leanne (well, that one is sort of my fault b/c my full name is Leah Anne Kathryn) But still. :angry:

Get with the program people.

Bonochick said:
People screw up Katherine a lot. Some people call me Katrina...and I really hate when people pronounce it like "Kath-REEN"...or "Kath-uh-RINE". Are those even names?? :angry:

I also don't like being called Kathy. Ernie's grandma has been staying with us all month, and she calls me Kathy.

At least she stopped calling me Kelly. That's the name of Ernie's ex-girlfriend (the family favorite, from my understanding...the one they thought he was supposed to marry). :mad:

I'm in the same boat - being Kathleen - people automatically assume that I want to be called Kathy (which I personally hate) Katie, Kate, Kat, you name it. My husbands uncles all think that it's hilarious to call me Kitty. The night I met my husband, he asked me if he should call me Kathy, and I said "not if you want me to answer!"

Same thing with my last name too... Not that they pronounce it wrong, but constantly spell it wrong. It's PattEn, not Patton. And no, I'm not related to the general!!!

I came home from work today, and Ernie's grandma left me a note...no, scratch that...she left "Kathy" a note.

I don't know who this "Kathy" character is...but she better not be using our house as a place to receive notes. :angry:

I was dating a guy who introduced me to his friends as Kathy, and I gave him a look so evil that he apologized throughout the rest of the week.

my name's Ellen and people call me Helen. :mad:

doesn't seem like a big deal, but the story behind my name is...

when I was born my parent's didn't have a name picked out for me so they asked the nurse what a common American name was. and the nurse said Helen, and my dad said ah that's too cmmon. let's just drop the E and name her Ellen. :|

thus the reason why I hate having people slip up and mishear my name being said for Helen. :angry:

when i answer the phone at work, about half the time people think my name is Olivia. i don't know how they get Olivia out of Lizzie :shrug:

I can relate... my last name has but 7 letters - yet it gets torn to shreds. Most people want to put an "r" into my name. Others drop letters. It's a Czech name and starts with an "HL". This combination doesn't exist in English, and as such no one can say it. Trouble is, even when I teach some people how to say it, they can't. I had an English teacher in highschool who prided herself on her vast lexicon. Vocabulary tests were a huge part of her class. Despite having this vast knowledge of the English language, she could never say my last name. And this boggled my mind - because English is comprised of so many other languages! I find that my very limited knowledge of Czech, German and Spanish has helped me quite a bit in pronunciation and deducing the nationality of names. But alas... the butchering of my name will go on forever.

There was a time when I even considered changing it because of how difficult it is to say... but then I said "f*ck it!" I take pride in my name now and am glad to have a semi-unique name. :yes:

:mad: I just got back from safeway and the guy said, "thank you Mr. doyle" :madspit: "it's Dole, not Doyle" :angry:

U2Girl1978 said:

Can I ride on your motorcycle? :hyper:

:wink:
Hop on...I won't tell you which one.....:wink:

344%3A932323232%7Ffp7%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E73%3A%3E%3A97%3EWSNRCG%3D3232%3C256%3B%3A%3C%3A4nu0mrj

Back
Top Bottom