IO... Ken... Jeopardy God

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Let's see your answer.. Oh, I'm sorry.. that must be you wager. A Buck. And you answer is.. Futter. Buck Futter, I don't get it.

Ohhhh.. I think you do, Trebek. I think you do, indeed!

ken.jpg

"I like gerbils"

ken.jpg

75,000 today alone... a new one-day Jeopardy record.
Money todate: $1,321,660

Final Jeopardy question...

Answer: Name two of four Shakespeare plays in which ghosts appear onstage.
--Question: hamlet, macbeth, julius ceasar, richard III

Jeopardy is now in re-runs until September 6th, when the new season... and Ken Jennings... returns. Mark your calendars :wink:

That final jeopardy question was easy...took me about 2.5 seconds to yell out Macbeth and Hamlet!

Damn, I'm good!

guess who's back... back again...

ken.jpg

NEW YORK - The summer's favorite egghead, "Jeopardy!" master Ken Jennings, returns to try to extend his winning streak Monday.

The Salt Lake City software engineer became an unlikely TV star this summer when he began mowing down opponents on the quiz show. He won 38 straight games, for a total of $1,321,660, before the show went on hiatus in late July.

Jennings defends his championship in a new episode that airs Monday.

"Jeopardy!" used to limit its champions to five appearances before changing its rules a year ago, allowing a winner to keep competing until being beaten.

Nobody expected the Jennings juggernaut. The 30-year-old has displayed a quick finger on the buzzer that frequently freezes out his opponents, and an impressively broad array of knowledge.

"Jeopardy!" will hold two more weeks of original episodes, which began taping in August, before leaving on another hiatus for a special tournament.

If Jennings keeps winning, he'll keep coming back. Game spokesman Jeff Ritter said there's been no discussion of a cutoff point, or another change in the rules, if Jennings' streak continues.

Oh how I've missed that smirking face of his. He makes me want to lick the television.

u2popmofo said:
Douchebag mormons!!!

:wink:

HEY, Watch your mouth. I bet you dont know a thing about mormons, but you can insult there religion. Why are people like that?

macphisto23 said:
HEY, Watch your mouth. I bet you dont know a thing about mormons, but you can insult there religion. Why are people like that?

"Their" religion?

Hmmm...I am pretty sure U2Popmofo is mormon. If not, he is the FINEST BYU alum interference.com has!

I am the greatest in ALL the land! Bring me your finest meats and cheeses!

ken.jpg

NEW YORK (AP) -- Quiz-show king Ken Jennings has broken another record on "Jeopardy!"

Jennings won $45,099 on the episode that aired Wednesday, bringing his total earnings to $2,197,000 to make him the top TV game show winner ever.

He beat the previous record of $2,180,000, set by Michigan engineer Kevin Olmstead on ABC's "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" in 2001.

Jennings, a 30-year-old software engineer from Salt Lake City, began his 66-appearances-and-counting streak on the episode that aired June 2. Since then, he has richly profited from a rule change made only last year, at the start of the syndicated game show's 20th season, that removed its five-appearance limit. Now a contestant can continue playing as long as he wins.

On the "Jeopardy!" episode that aired September 15, Jennings broke the record for longest winning streak on any television game show.

Where might it all stop? No one's confirmed it, but TV Week reported in September that Jennings lost after his 75th straight win, amassing a total of about $2.5 million. "Jeopardy!" episodes are taped in advance.

During the streak, Jennings has appeared on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno," presented a Top Ten list on "Late Show with David Letterman," and been a "Person of the Week" on ABC's "World News Tonight."

He has defeated 130 challengers and given more than 2,000 correct responses, including Wednesday's Final Jeopardy question, for which the clue was: "This king was the great-grandfather of France's King Louis XV."

Jennings sweetened his day's total take by $7,499 with his reply: "Who is Louis XIV?"

Besting Olmstead's record had been Jennings' goal "for a while," he told host Alex Trebek, adding, "I actually know Dr. Olmstead a little bit, and he's been very supportive."

I read a rumor that says he loses after 75 wins.

I think he is on 67 or 68 now.

*edit, so a max of two weeks more?

Re: Re: IO... Ken... Jeopardy God

THE KING IS DEAD... LONG LIVE THE KING!!!

ken.jpg

kenwinner.jpg

kenloss.jpg

kenloss2.jpg

kengod.jpg

kendave.jpg

NEW YORK - "Jeopardy" whiz Ken Jennings finally met his match after a 74-game run as a pop culture icon who made brainiacs cool, beaten by a woman whose own 8-year-old daughter asked for his autograph when they first met.

As someone who always has prepared his own tax returns, Jennings was tripped up in Final Jeopardy by this answer: Most of this firm's 70,000 seasonal white-collar employees work only four months a year.

The correct reply: "What is H&R Block?" But Jennings guessed Federal Express, ending his remarkable run as the biggest winner in TV game show history with a haul of $2,520,700.

Having an accountant-friend who's nearly impossible to reach at tax time paid off big-time for his conqueror, California real estate agent Nancy Zerg, who ousted the baby-faced killer competitor in the episode airing Tuesday.

During his streak that began June 2, Jennings usually had opponents so thoroughly beaten that the Final Jeopardy question was meaningless to the outcome. But Zerg was within striking range at that point, with $10,000 to Jennings' $14,400.

The champion had to think; out of the corner of his eye, he noticed Zerg had quickly written her reply.

"I was pretty sure before the music ended that was the ballgame," he said in an interview with The Associated Press.

Her correct reply gave Zerg $14,001 to Jennings' $8,799.

Even before that, she had needed an unusual display of Jennings fallibility to stay in the game. He twice answered wrong on Daily Double questions, which give contestants a chance to make big wagers and increase their leads.

Maybe that's why he paused, ever so slightly, when asked in the AP interview Tuesday whether he had lost or been beaten. He then graciously gave Zerg credit.

"I would have dwelt on it if I missed something that I knew or didn't phrase it in the form of a question," said Jennings, a computer software engineer from Salt Lake City. "It was a big relief to me that I lost to someone who played a better game than me."

Zerg, a former actress who lives in Ventura, Calif., told the AP that she psyched herself up before the game by repeating to herself: "Someone's got to beat him sometime, it might as well be me."

Hanging out backstage with fellow contestants, she saw some Jennings opponents had essentially lost before the game. She heard one person say that it looked like he was playing for second, and another just wishing not to be humiliated.

"I heard another one say, `It's no great sin to lose to Ken Jennings,' and they went in and lost to Ken Jennings," she said. "I thought, `That's no way to play the game.'"

Some stats: Jennings' average daily haul was $34,063.51. He toyed with the previous daily record of $52,000 — tying it four times — before shattering it with a $75,000 win in Game 38. He gave more than 2,700 correct responses.

He combined an extraordinary breadth of knowledge, uncanny skill at sensing the precise instant to ring his buzzer, and a sharp competitive instinct hidden behind his grin and polite manner.

It made many of the games boring. But "Jeopardy!" executives aren't complaining; ratings were up 22 percent over the same period last time.

Jennings said he'd been thinking about walking away after some future milestone — 100 wins, perhaps, or $3 million or $4 million in winnings. He said there were about a dozen games where one reply made the difference between winning and losing.

"The fact that they had all fallen my way was beginning to worry me," he said, "because at some point the law of averages was going to kick in."

He wasn't prepared for how much he'd miss the daily competition, though.

"It didn't really hit me that was going to be the hard part," he said. "I thought the hard part would be the loss."

The loss is actually a distant memory and not really a secret: The show was taped in early September and news leaked right away. Video clips of his loss appeared Monday on the Internet.

Neither Jennings nor Zerg expect the record will be broken.

"It's not because things fell the right way," she said. "It's because he's that good."

Jennings, a Mormon, will donate 10 percent of his winnings to his church — and a European vacation is planned, "probably a really nice one." He'll hardly slip back into anonymity; he's visiting David Letterman and Regis Philbin this week, has a book deal and is open to any commercial sponsorship opportunities.

He's in a new tax bracket now, and H&R Block is making sure he'll always remember the company for other reasons: It has offered him free tax preparation for life.

from CNN.com

NEW YORK (AP) -- Having an accountant-friend who's nearly impossible to reach at tax time paid off for Nancy Zerg -- big time.

In a victory telecast Tuesday, Zerg beat a pop-culture icon who had achieved an aura of invincibility. Jennings won $2,520,700, a record for a TV game show contestant, since his first appearance June 2.

During his streak, Jennings usually had opponents so thoroughly beaten that the Final Jeopardy question was meaningless to the outcome. But Zerg was within striking range, with $10,000 to Jennings' $14,400, at that point.

The category was business and industry. The clue: Most of this firm's 70,000 seasonal white-collar employees work only four months a year.

Jennings had to think. Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed Zerg had quickly written her reply.

"I was pretty sure before the music ended that was the ballgame," he said.

Her reply, "What is H&R Block?" was correct and gave her $14,001. Jennings' wrong guess, Federal Express, dropped him to $8,799.

Even before that, Zerg needed an unusual display of Jennings' fallibility to stay in the game. He twice answered wrong on Daily Double questions, which give contestants a chance to make a big wager and increase their lead.

Maybe that's why he paused, ever so slightly, when asked in an interview Tuesday whether he had lost or been beaten. He then graciously gave Zerg credit.

"I would have dwelt on it if I missed something that I knew or didn't phrase it in the form of a question," said Jennings, a computer software engineer from Salt Lake City. "It was a big relief to me that I lost to someone who played a better game than me."

Zerg, a former actress who lives in Ventura, California, psyched herself up before the game by repeating to herself: "Someone's got to beat him sometime, it might as well be me."

Hanging out backstage with fellow contestants, she saw some Jennings opponents had essentially lost before the game. She heard one person say that it looked like he was playing for second, and another just wishing not to be humiliated.

"I heard another one say, 'It's no great sin to lose to Ken Jennings,' and they went in and lost Ken Jennings," she said. "I thought, 'That's no way to play the game.' "

Some stats: Jennings' average daily haul was $34,063.51. He toyed with the previous daily record of $52,000 -- tying it four times -- before shattering it with a $75,000 win in Game 38. He gave more than 2,700 correct responses.

He combined an extraordinary breadth of knowledge, uncanny skill at sensing the precise instant to ring his buzzer and a killer competitive instinct hidden behind a baby-faced grin and polite manner.

It made many of the games boring. But "Jeopardy!" executives aren't complaining; ratings were up 22 percent over the same period last time.

Jennings said he'd been thinking about walking away after some future milestone -- 100 wins, perhaps, or $3 million or $4 million in winnings. He said there were about a dozen games where one reply made the difference between winning and losing.

"The fact that they had all fallen my way was beginning to worry me," he said, "because at some point the law of averages was going to kick in."

He wasn't prepared for how much he'd miss the daily competition, though.

"It didn't really hit me that was going to be the hard part," he said. "I thought the hard part would be the loss."

The loss is actually a distant memory and not really a secret: the show was taped in early September and news leaked right away. Video clips of his loss appeared on the Internet Monday.

Neither Jennings nor Zerg expect the record will be broken.

"It's not because things fell the right way," Zerg said. "It's because he's that good."

Jennings, a Mormon, will donate 10 percent of his winnings to his church -- and a European vacation is planned, "probably a really nice one." He'll hardly slip back into anonymity; he's visiting David Letterman and Regis Philbin this week, has a book deal and is open to any commercial sponsorship opportunities.

He's in a new tax bracket now, and H&R Block is making sure he'll always remember the company for other reasons: It has offered him free tax preparation for life.

Back
Top Bottom