IO: I'm sick of HP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I enjoy it. I'm not obsessed. I don't like to be obsessed with anything.

Though there's probably something I know too much about, but you'd have to kill me if I told you.

LikeNoOneBefore said:
I have the same birthday as Daniel Radcliffe. :reject:

I like him, but I don't like his little wizard boy deal. Hahaha

me too, wow. comin up then :D

daniel radcliffe is hot

i enjoy harry potter. i'm not obsessed with it though. i didn't pre-order the book; i'm not standing in line. I'll just pick it up sometime Saturday :shrug:

love_u2_adam said:
omg i think the whole hp shit is retarded. who cares?
im thinking of going to chapters at 12 when the book is being sold..and going in and buying a different book or mag..it'd be swweat:lol:

you should go into the bookstore at midnight at start yelling out spoilers to the book - that would be a great way to make friends. :wink:

I've never seen an HP movie.

Or read an HP book.

But I'm still pissed off at there being 3 HP-based threads in Lemonade Stand alone. :rant: *joins anti Harry Potter club*

Harry Potter Sucks!!!
thank God i`m not the only one who hates this crap:D
it`s a waste of brain cells i think...I wouldn`t read or watch it in a million years...

Wow. Don't any of you get how important it is that there are people all over the world that are THIS excited about reading?

Bonochick said:
I know nothing about Harry Potter. I feel like a freak.

To be honest with you, I read the first 3 books (before the 4th came out) precisely because I felt there was great social value in reading them, not because I expected literary greatness (it isn't that anyway). HP is such an integral part of our pop culture, that being familiar with it is valuable. I went to a corporate shmoozefest last Wednesday and talked to a senior partner for 10 minutes about Harry. That's an immediate connection, and it's just one such example.

bonosgirl84 said:
Wow. Don't any of you get how important it is that there are people all over the world that are THIS excited about reading?

One book makes an entire difference? Have them read some classics, and then maybe I'll buy it.

That guy that dove into the Antarctic Ocean was pretty excited about swimming, but I don't know healthy that was! :huh:

bonosgirl84 said:

I can get it :yes: I know how it is to be this excited about reading. It happens to me so many times with Kundera or other authors I love.

Besides, I think that this thread wasn't aiming at discussing the excitement of reading but discussing the excitement about HP. I am personally not interested in HP. :shrug:

Love it or hate it..........HP IS responsible for a global literacy explosion, kids to the oldies are falling in love again with reading, i cannot think of another author that has had this effect.

fly so high! said:
Love it or hate it..........HP IS responsible for a global literacy explosion, kids to the oldies are falling in love again with reading, i cannot think of another author that has had this effect.

And yet there's an error in one of the very first pages which seem to have passed the editor by.
:lol:

or is that :scream:

:hmm:

LikeNoOneBefore said:
One book makes an entire difference? Have them read some classics, and then maybe I'll buy it.

That guy that dove into the Antarctic Ocean was pretty excited about swimming, but I don't know healthy that was! :huh:

Yes. One book does make a difference. If a child's love for reading begins with the Potter series then yes, one book makes a difference. And what makes you think the Potter books aren't already a classic series that will be read by future generations? The people who read them today will pass their love for them onto their children.

I'm not really sure what to say about your swimming analogy. Seems as if you are saying reading HP is somehow "unhealthy" and I just really don't have an answer for something that absurd, sorry.

MissMaCo said:
Besides, I think that this thread wasn't aiming at discussing the excitement of reading but discussing the excitement about HP

But they kind of go hand-in-hand, don't they? :)

This thread was started because I am sick of the hype and media overload that is Harry Potter not because I am against kids reading or anything...

I was watching the news the other day and the latest studies still indicate that the amount of children reading continues to decline despite HP. They did say that HP might be contributing to the rate at which the numbers are decreasing but there is no way to tell :shrug:

So me and the wife go into a book store Friday night because we were bored... BIG MISTAKE! :angry:

There were kids and HP nerds as far as the eye could see :tsk:

They were having a costume contest... :down:

Last edited:
bonosgirl84 said:

Yes. One book does make a difference. If a child's love for reading begins with the Potter series then yes, one book makes a difference. And what makes you think the Potter books aren't already a classic series that will be read by future generations? The people who read them today will pass their love for them onto their children.

I'm not really sure what to say about your swimming analogy. Seems as if you are saying reading HP is somehow "unhealthy" and I just really don't have an answer for something that absurd, sorry.

I seriously doubt kids are thinking "Heck yes! READING!" They're thinking "Heck yes! Wizardry!"

When I was really into Star Wars when I was younger, I read ALL of the books in the Jedi Apprentice series. But after the series was over, I stopped reading as much. There wasn't much else I was interested in as far as books went besides things about Jedi. It'll probably be the same for these kids. I wasn't a kid too long ago, and I have a younger sister. :lol: My sister switches between obsessions very quickly.

Back
Top Bottom