IO: I hate the freaking summertime!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheQuiet1

Rock n' Roll Doggie
There are two main reasons (as well as a zillion little ones) about why I hate the summertime:

1. It gets so bloody hot and whilst bizarrely I can keep myself comfortably warm in winter, I can't keep myself cool in summer!

2. The main reason is the PESTS. They just seem to suddenly appear in hoardes the second a rain cloud disappears. Flies, black beetles and thunderbugs (This word will be lost in translation to nearly everyone. I dunno whether it's a British/English/Yorkshire/family word but it means those tiny black bugs that you can hardly see that get EVERYWHERE. They live on corn and when the corn gets harvested they converge on all the houses, especially if I'm in it at the time)

FLIES- I REALLY hate because they are disease ridden vermin that REFUSE to let you kill them easily, you have to wreck half the house first trying to whack one with a rolled up News Of the World.

BLACK BEETLES- I hate because as I sit here in my darkened room thinking that really I ought to go to bed (but I can't tear myself away from the screen) I can HEAR them but I can't SEE them...

THUNDERBUGS- THEY get everywhere (into picture frames, CD cases etc) but YOU can't get them out.

Rant over. Thanx for listening.

Last edited:
financeguy said:
Anything over 75F is considered 'bloody hot' in this part of the world. :wink:

:| Means nothing to me... what's that in degrees C (I'm having a 'too lazy to spell words so will abbreviate' day)? Yeah, I'm one of those bloody kids who can't understand imperial measurements-sorry financeguy but I am a product of Blair's education system after all!

It's been about 27-30C here for the past week but has finally cooled down. Probably hardly anything to bonosgirl84 but I DON'T DO HEAT! My Aussie friend who's lived here for about six years is in her element in summer but you should see her in the depths of winter MWHAHAHAHAHA whilst she's there freezing in layers of clothing at the mere hint of a sub-zero drop, I'm just like "It's not that bad" whilst wearing a T-shirt. In case you can't tell, I LIKE winter, a lot.

Ahh, the people with the proper education now! (for the record I was taught how to convert Fahrenheit to Celsius but about the only thing I can remember of maths lessons is A squared +B squared =C squared and thinking "When is this gonna be over?"/"This is SO boring"/"She's given us HOW much homework?!" The end of my maths GCSE was a happy day)

So yeah, I obviously just cannot cope with heat, or indeed 'warmth'. Bonogirls84 you've just made me suddenly feel better with that 120F thing, bet you're used to it being that temperature too.

And thanx for the explanations financeguy and cassis.

I'm moving to a place with no a/c tomorrow. I've had a/c since I moved out of my parent's house 8 years ago. Should be interesting. :combust:

yeah, NY has been in the low 90s w/ humidity making it feel like 100.

my AC broke during a flood i had in my house on 6/29 - still not fixed:sad:

I'm sorry but I just love the heat - I love the beach, the surf, the sand....playing beach volleyball, snorkeling...........and of course you can't enjoy any of those things without the warm summer day to go along with it...80F or higher :)

MsGiggles said:
I'm sorry but I just love the heat - I love the beach, the surf, the sand....playing beach volleyball, snorkeling...........and of course you can't enjoy any of those things without the warm summer day to go along with it...80F or higher :)

True, true, beaches are great at any time but evening beach walks after a hot day when everything is cool (but not cold), with the fresh air coming off the sea ...that's the best thing!

I guess I should be glad I live in a place where I get hot days in summer without it being really hot and can get cold, snowy days in winter. Best of both worlds really. It's the explosion of creepy crawlies in summer that is the most annoying thing but after seeing that huntsman's spider pic... I guess it could be a lot worse :yikes:

We get 2-3 months of 90F+ days with 70-75% humidity.... which makes the temp feel anywhere from 98F - 104F. Basically, imagine setting your oven on 100 degrees & sitting in it with a wet wool blanket on you.... Sounds like fun, right??? :eyebrow:

I could live with the heat here, especially since I have the benefit of the seabreeze, which keeps our temps 5-10 degrees cooler than inland, but the humidity is a killer. Then add hurricanes to the mix & the possibility of the power getting knocked out & having no A/C for 2-7 days (if the storm's severe), and I begin to question why I don't move to Vermont! :confused: :lmao:

27-30C and not coping makes you a pussy, no offence! :hug:
:lol:
no, it just makes you a pom. :wink:
you really find that hot? It's been around 120F or 48C here before. I do declare that is hot.
:hmm:

verte76 said:
I abhor, despise and detest summer. Try putting up with broken air conditioning in the Sunbelt with a heat index of 115.

Aww. I'd like to add more to this but:

1. It doesn't get that hot here.
2. Unsurprisingly, I don't have air conditioning.

But, nonetheless, aww. :wink:

I like summer when there are good bathing suites and lack there of to be worn. But other than that, I am a winter person. I don't like the pests here in the NE of USA. Bugs of all sorts, invaders.

But I don't like it when people complain about it being too hot or too cold. I mean, it's sort of stupid. Oh damn, the sun is so bright... it's not that hard to deal with. The body is adaptable, and most discofort is in the mind, anyway. To those of you in 100F+ plus weather, or whatever C that would be, then I salute you. I don't think I would enjoy that a lot. But I wouldn't complain about it.

But I just like winter - the snuggle factor. I don't know, it seems more intriguing to try to stay warm than keep cool in the summer. But not to say that summer time is the wrong time for things... I guess I'm just a big fan of winter because so many people in my family don't like it. My mother hates it. But the snow....

heh

I suppose it has to do with a memory, or... a dream, perhaps...

Back
Top Bottom