IO: Holla 4 tha dollaz!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redhotswami

Blue Crack Addict
So, after having an interview that was absolutely terrible yesterday, I got a phone call at 8:30 this morning offering me the position!

Yeah, I have no idea either. I just know that I was at home in tears like 15 hours ago. And now I'm bouncing off the walls! She said they liked my ideas for the position, and they want me to make it my own. They will train me and support me when I come to them with ideas for the department or when I want to try something out.

The position is an academic advisor for graduate students at GMU. It is part time, which means no benefits, however, it pays REALLY well. I'll be basically starting around the same salary I expected with a full-time job in this field. I've discussed with my parents, and they said I can move back in with them since it is just a 25 minute commute from their house (which will be weird...I haven't *lived* with them in YEARS...I've only visited.) The part-time is perfect, because that means I can do what I really want to do, and that's take some economics courses so I can apply for another degree in a completely different field (International Affaiars - I haven't decided if I want to get another Master's or a PhD). AND, because I'm working at the school, I can take the courses there FOR FREE! So, essentially, I'll be able to finally save money...which is something I don't think I've ever been able to do in my lifetime.

I'm soooo excited right now! It is hard to focus. Except last night I had a nightmare that my advisor was chasing me down yelling at me to send him a chapter of my research project. I don't need anymore dreams of my advisor, so I'm off to the library.

Thanks to all who offered me lovely words of encouragement and support during this time! It really means a lot. :)

par2-3.gif

Last edited:
wow, I have actually ventured into IO just to say congratulations!!!

:dance:

GMU is a good school and not so far from here. When you get all moved in, we need to reschedule that interferencer get-together. :yes:

Thanks so much everyone!! :hug:
elevated - I wanna get grillz, but I can't decide which 4 letter word to put on there.
sulawesgirl - we will DEFINITELY have another get together! :rockon:
Lila - where did you find that shirt? I soooooooo need it!
Mike - I need to hear that song!

thanks again everyone, you all are awesome :hug:

American Dental Association

Teeth That Go Bling

Some celebrities have been flashing more than clean, white teeth at their fans. Under the spotlight, the glint from their mouths comes from “grills” or “grillz”—decorative covers often made of gold, silver or jewel-encrusted precious metals that snap over one or more of their teeth.

Grills, sometimes called “fronts,” generally are removable but some wearers have had their teeth altered with gold crowns to permanently resemble a grill. And some have tried to attach their grill with permanent cement—something that is not meant for internal use and can damage the teeth and tissues!

At present there are no studies that show that grills are harmful to the mouth—but there are no studies that show that their long-term wear is safe, either. Some grills are made from non-precious (base) metals that may cause irritation or metal-allergic reactions.

Boy Meets Grill

The trend toward tooth coverings was boosted in recent years by hip-hop icons and rappers such as Nelly and Paul Wall. Although wealthy musicians and some athletes have spent thousands of dollars to decorate their teeth with grills made of gold and platinum, most teenagers and young adults who want to emulate these celebrities do so by purchasing inexpensive do-it-yourself kits online or purchasing them from local jewelers. Some jewelers and other “grill” vendors are unaware that, in some states, taking an impression of someone's mouth is considered dentistry, which requires a license.

Wearers should be especially careful about brushing and flossing to prevent potential problems. Food and other debris may become trapped between the teeth and the grill allowing bacteria (PDF file/78k) to collect and produce acids. The acids can cause tooth decay and harm gum tissue. Bacteria may also contribute to bad breath. There also is the potential for grills to irritate surrounding oral tissues and to wear the enamel away on the opposing teeth.

To prevent problems, wearers should limit the amount of time spent wearing removable grills.

If you already wear a grill, you should remove it before eating. It should be cleaned daily to remove plaque bacteria and food debris. Avoid using jewelry cleaners or any products that are dangerous to ingest.

If you are considering getting a dental grill, make sure you talk to your dentist first. Find out exactly what materials the grill is made of and avoid creating a breeding ground for bacteria. Grills might be trendy for the moment, but “pearly whites” will never go out of style.
:yuck:

Yay Mia! :hi5: Congratulations :hug:

You hung in there with it all and now things are looking really bright. Just keep remembering that May is knocking right at your door :sexywink: Should really focus on the last day of May specificially btw :giggle:

Back
Top Bottom