IO: England is on my shitlist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Could you have packed it in the luggage you were checking?

MY grandparents were just in England and purchased two or three bottles of wine there. They tried to carry it on and had to throw it out when they went through security or customs or something. They didn't think to smuggle it in their checked luggage.

It was bought @ Duty Free, after we checked the bags. It's a scam, I tell ya. They probably sell it back to the Duty Free shops for half the cost and then they resell it again. I was probably the 8th person to buy that stuff. :mad:

UberBeaver said:
It was bought @ Duty Free, after we checked the bags. It's a scam, I tell ya. They probably sell it back to the Duty Free shops for half the cost and then they resell it again. I was probably the 8th person to buy that stuff. :mad:

oooh. i missed that part. that is SERIOUSLY messed up.

or maybe they do expect you to chug it before boarding?

When you board the plane it's in a plastic bag. All of it in one big bag. So I put one bottle in a seperate bag to make my carry on a bit lighter. Apparently you can't open the plastic bag. No one tells you this, and there are no signs saying this, and no one can explain it. But cest la vie. I still think it's a goddamn scam. The one option they give you is to go up to check in and check it in. But fuck that. And FYI - Heathrow is a goddamn mess of an airport. I think JFK actually makes more sense.

Why were you going through Customs when you were leaving the country? I've never been stopped at Customs anywhere. Then again, I've never bought duty free stuff.

I'm confused. :(

I was entering the UK, so you clear customs at the first port, which was London. If I was going on to, say, France, I wouldn't have had to clear in England. I think they XRayed my bad and saw the bottle? Either that or I was unlucky.

I am not up on my duty free regs.

UberBeaver said:
I don't want to end up some "list".

You are already on a list, buddy! :madwife:

I thought there was a way you could buy stuff at duty free and then they (duty free) delivers it to your airplane...that bypasses the problem you had. Or maybe that is here in the U.S. of A.

Yeah. They did. I bought it @ JFK. The met me @ the plane when I got on. But since I opened the plastic bag the duty free brought the liquor in, I broke some silly English rule. Stupid shit if you ask me.

Reg - don't mock my syringe....:uhoh: ok, it's more like a pipette. Don't judge me.

UberBeaver said:
I was entering the UK, so you clear customs at the first port, which was London. If I was going on to, say, France, I wouldn't have had to clear in England. I think they XRayed my bad and saw the bottle? Either that or I was unlucky.

Ah, okay. I misunderstood and thought you had spent some time in England then were flying to Scotland.

Still sounds like you were unlucky. I've never been stopped at Customs on any of my flights to/from the UK (though I always get grilled by the US immigration officer :( ).

BTW (that means By The Way), I learned it is against a Federal Air Regulation to drink your Duty Free purchased liquor on the airplane. Break a Federal Air Regulation can result in arrest and a federal prosecution. :yikes:

UberBeaver said:
Yeah. They did. I bought it @ JFK. The met me @ the plane when I got on. But since I opened the plastic bag the duty free brought the liquor in, I broke some silly English rule. Stupid shit if you ask me.

Babes - forget Mia....you should have had me on your Counsel.

I can't believe I missed a thread that had liquor as a subject till now. Major phailure on my part.

Anyways, on to the solution I discovered about 5 yrs ago to circumvent this ridiculousness....wait for it...

I'll reveal it......

not in this line.....

but here...
make two or three separate transaction at the Duty Free. So grab your bottles, and then make them ring them in separately and they have to pack and staple multiple bags. Weight distrubtion solved, and multiple bags delievered to you at the plane. Do the people at the check out like you? ( ? <----haha fixed...GFY E with an accent) Hell no. It that your problem? Hell no. Are you happy? Hell yes. Are you getting drunk on the cheap liquor of your choice at your destination? ...I think we know the answer to this....:D

Last edited:
^Good advice! I will remember this for my trip in the fall! I planned to hit the duty free on the way home simply because you can get away with the extra carry on that way. Sooo thanks for the advice! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom