IO: Burning forum questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LemonMacPhisto said:
I liked the initial idea of the speech thread, too, but it was closed because no one takes Mountain seriously, even if he/she were trying to be.

I didn't mean to say you guys were threatening, but I know I get a negative vibe reading those types of posts as opposed to Zoomers posts.

It would be like if I decided to start posting like you guys. I'd come off as a jerk trying to make fun of a poster/group of posters without contributing much myself, you know?

Everyone's entitled to their own styles, ideas, and whatnot, but when you say yourself it's just a big joke, then what's the point?

oh.
i didn't know
"IO"
and lemonade stand
were for serious souls
and serious thoughts

i didnt know
this forum was super serious

i said in my thread
that the soul of the thread
was serious™
and not in jest

as was evidenced by my
posts and
various references in it.

would a joke go to such lengths?™

what's the point
of humor in
the humor parts of the forum?

dont reference the
edge vs radiohead
doomed soul from the getgo

bad vibes?
aura?
find your soul™
before judging
spirits of which you not know™

Mountain Dew Ma said:

bad vibes?
aura?
find your soul™
before judging

word

also its not all about zoomerang and his crew, in fact probably most of our inspiration comes from outside of the forum. it's just silly to me that he's held on some higher plane of existence when at best he's doing kind of the same thing we are, at worse he's actually serious :shrug:

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: IO: Burning forum questions!

AtomicBono said:

dude calm down, if you don't think it's funny then just get over it. clearly you haven't been around enough assholes who actually really do think/talk that way (interesting that zoomerang is considered funny but we're considered uppity? do people not understand IT'S A JOKE, we are NOT seriously pondering the truth of our existenialestial existence with runonsentencesand™?)

and pop culture references can be amusing, but in excess it's just like, congratulations, you know about Snakes on a Plane too!!! omglol!!!11

go DQ Something New™ and quit fretting. There is an ignore function you know.

I'm not fretting over it, I merely responded to a point and spent a grand total of 90 seconds typing a post.

The thing is, the pop culture references actually change because they come from different sources and relate to different topics. You guys have pretty much just invaded a number of threads with this stuff, and if there was a point, it was beaten into the ground long ago. You're trying to compare yourselves to something that's really quite different.

And I can't remember the last time I heard about those motherfuckin' snakes on that motherfuckin' plane. So, again, the pop culture references evolve.

Unlike ™ and
CoolPsychedelicRibbons.jpg

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: IO: Burning forum questions!

phillyfan26 said:

I'm not fretting over it, I merely responded to a point and spent a grand total of 90 seconds typing a post.

The thing is, the pop culture references actually change because they come from different sources and relate to different topics. You guys have pretty much just invaded a number of threads with this stuff, and if there was a point, it was beaten into the ground long ago. You're trying to compare yourselves to something that's really quite different.

And I can't remember the last time I heard about those motherfuckin' snakes on that motherfuckin' plane. So, again, the pop culture references evolve.

Unlike ™ and
CoolPsychedelicRibbons.jpg

oh great one
how many threads have been invaded?
let me see your oracle™

and your soul

i compare myself
to nothing

i am soul
i am unique

conform, no
soul...™

Mountain Dew Ma said:

oh.
i didn't know
"IO"
and lemonade stand
were for serious souls
and serious thoughts

i didnt know
this forum was super serious

i said in my thread
that the soul of the thread
was serious™
and not in jest

as was evidenced by my
posts and
various references in it.

would a joke go to such lengths?™

what's the point
of humor in
the humor parts of the forum?

dont reference the
edge vs radiohead
doomed soul from the getgo

bad vibes?
aura?
find your soul™
before judging

what's the point of humor (if you even agree with that description) if it doesn't change?

AtomicBono said:

nahh join us

the whole idea is to be a part of it but have your own style with it

marzipan understands

I like having my own style, but that's for offering.

Marzipan's style is also playful, like how I view the Zoomers-style, too. I think I've read enough of his posts to know when he's being serious or kidding around.

Mountain Dew Ma said:
i am also interested
in the darwin theory
of

pop culture references

the soul
of it
if you will™

Tryin' to read through your language is difficult, but I think you want to know how we use pop culture references?

Essentially, you take a moment from pop culture (i.e.: TV or movies or music, etc.) that is relevant to the topic and use a quote or picture or video from that source. It can be used to make a point or just to be humorous.

phillyfan26 said:

what's the point of humor (if you even agree with that description) if it doesn't change?

do you watch
your favorite comedy soul
time and time again?™

or recite your favorite comedy quotes
ad nausem
until beaten with a bloody pulp
via
any method of communication with outside souls?™

is that evolution?

phillyfan26 said:

Tryin' to read through your language is difficult, but I think you want to know how we use pop culture references?

Essentially, you take a moment from pop culture (i.e.: TV or movies or music, etc.) that is relevant to the topic and use a quote or picture or video from that source. It can be used to make a point or just to be humorous.

i asked
for the darwin theory
of pop culture
references.

LemonMacPhisto said:

I like having my own style, but that's for offering.

Marzipan's style is also playful, like how I view the Zoomers-style, too. I think I've read enough of his posts to know when he's being serious or kidding around.

when have i once
been condescending
towards anybodys soul?

this soul is pure and free
and has been attacked

my soul
is fortified in a sanctuary divine™

Mountain Dew Ma said:

i asked
for the darwin theory
of pop culture
references.

How one is better than the other? I think it depends on what your tastes are, but it all links back to what Philly said about it being relevant to the topic at hand.

Like when someone says "you lose," I immediately think of Gene Wilder's classic "You lose! Good day, sir!" line.

Mountain Dew Ma said:

do you watch
your favorite comedy soul
time and time again?™

or recite your favorite comedy quotes
ad nausem
until beaten with a bloody pulp
via
any method of communication with outside souls?™

is that evolution?

In reading that post, I think you are saying, in English:

"Don't you use a whole shitload of references to The Office?"

I do. But in two forms:

1. In The Office thread.
2. In moments in other threads when it would make a point or be humorous. Using a variety of quotes that, and I emphasize this, relate to the topic at hand.

Yes, relating to the topic at hand. That's where I see a huge difference between pop culture humor and thoughtospheric soul finding?™ humor.

phillyfan26 said:

Sorry, I'm a creationist when it comes to pop culture references.

i thought the whole point (according to you) of pop culture references is they evolve??

although I don't see how referencing old movies is really evolving

phillyfan26 said:

In reading that post, I think you are saying, in English:

"Don't you use a whole shitload of references to The Office?"

I do. But in two forms:

1. In The Office thread.
2. In moments in other threads when it would make a point or be humorous. Using a variety of quotes that, and I emphasize this, relate to the topic at hand.

Yes, relating to the topic at hand. That's where I see a huge difference between pop culture humor and thoughtospheric soul finding?™ humor.

did I mention
the office?™

i was reflecting
upon
everyday life.

i enjoy
the soul of the movie
dumb and dumber

to the utmost degree

change it will not.

AtomicBono said:

i thought the whole point (according to you) of pop culture references is they evolve??

So if I were to make a reference right now, it would have to be a to newer movie?

How old do movies have to be for you to consider them old?

LemonMacPhisto said:

So if I were to make a reference right now, it would have to be a to newer movie?

read
your friends

posts.

he mentioned
humor evolution.

youneedtoelevateyourreadingandspeakingcomprehensionsbecauseyouarenowconfusingyourselvesandi meanthatnicely

AtomicBono said:

By evolve, I mean that I'm not using the exact same quotes over and over again. I use quotes that are relevant to the topic.

LemonMacPhisto said:

17.36 years

no, thats not the point at all, the point is that i cant believe im arguing about pop culture references,

and i'm curious as to why everyone cares so much about our existenialestial ponderings

we've derailed...what...two threads? both doomed from the start? and we usually stay on topic anyway just in our own way

phillyfan26 said:

By evolve, I mean that I'm not using the exact same quotes over and over again. I use quotes that are relevant to the topic.

I don't use the same quotes over and over again either.

Mountain Dew Ma said:

read
your friends

posts.

he mentioned
humor evolution.

youneedtoelevateyourreadingandspeakingcomprehensionsbecauseyouarenowconfusingyourselvesandi meanthatnicely

What he meant was that you have your soul/trademark/spacing style and we drop references to pop culture fitting the situation.

There's enough room to pick whatever you want to see in the umbrella topic of "pop culture references" to at least have your own sense of creativity, I guess.

AtomicBono said:

17.36 years

no, thats not the point at all, the point is that i cant believe im arguing about pop culture references,

and i'm curious as to why everyone cares so much about our existenialestial ponderings

we've derailed...what...two threads? both doomed from the start? and we usually stay on topic anyway just in our own way

It's because the "ponderings" are jokes lost on the majority of the people here.

Mountain Dew Ma said:
somebody elses joke
is creative?™

your soul understands ((itisnotlostyouwillnotdienottonight : ;

to create
is to dream? or to simply speak¿

ratiocination > //madeinvietnammadeinvietnammadeinvietnam

madeinvietnam

Mountain Dew Ma said:
somebody elses joke
is creative?™

i don't understand
your beef against me.™

this is not a serious forum. IO is wacky.™

To be honest, I don't have a beef with you at all.

You're right, it is for fun, so keep doing what you do. I really do mean that.

phillyfan26 said:

your befuddlement is . . . a droplet in the ocean where the dolphins play ]

gaze upon the threads which were supposedly derailed likeatrainoffthetracks - - : were they not simply an extension of the original concept¿

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom