I'm officially going to NYC for Halloween!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABEL

An Angel In Devil's Shoes
:applaud:

I'm so excited :happy: :hyper:

I put in for my vacation request at work today and they approved it since I'm only taking off one day (plus my regular two days off for a 3 day weekend).

I finally get to meet my niece :heart: She was born in May and I still haven't met her yet :love:

I think NYC will be very cool at Halloween! I :heart: Halloween!

Now I just gotta get my airline ticket :huh:

We arent that big on Halloween here

Last year we had a real pumpkin - most ppl just use turnips instead of pumpkins

One time we all dressed up for Halloween and went to town for the crap fireworks display which involves some norn iron "celebrity" saying a few words on a stage, a couple of thousand drunkards singing and drinking from their plastic cups of Guinness and a few fireworks. [/digression]

They all looked at us because we were the only ppl in costumes :uhoh: but we were going to a fancy dress party afterwards.

ABEL...it is the law...if you go to the parade in the village (THE Halloween Parade to beat all Halloween Parades) you have to drink. Trust me. I know people who were charged with undrunkeness. It was bad.

sorry to dissapoint y'all, but i probably won't be getting drunk on Halloween :cute: i'll be staying with my brother and sister-in-law at their apartment with my niece who isn't even six months old yet and she's usually in bed by 8 or 9pm :laugh:

new parents = get no sleep and do not go out and party :lol:

yay for ABEL

*wishes Lizzie could come up to Toronto in November..maybe you can hide in someones suitcase*

have a great time...

guaca said:
yay for ABEL

*wishes Lizzie could come up to Toronto in November..maybe you can hide in someones suitcase*

have a great time...

:sigh: i really wish i could come to Toronto too

I don't know what I'm going to do on Halloween, I guess I'll probably dress up and hand out candy to kids at my friend's house (no one ever comes to my house because it is a second story apartment). We're thinking of dressing up as either Bono and The Edge, or as drag queens. I went trick or treating last year, but I think doing it again at almost 21 would be too ridiculous, even for me.

ILuvLarryMullen said:
(no one ever comes to my house because it is a second story apartment).

same thing for me too...i live in a 2nd floor apartment too, and in the entire 10 years i've lived here, i've NEVER had a trick-or-treater come to my door. i usually buy a bag of candy just in case but usually just end up spending a quiet halloween at home and eating the candy myself :lol: :uhoh:

We're thinking of dressing up as either Bono and The Edge, or as drag queens.

if you do, you better take pics! :laugh:

Last edited:
for those who don't like Halloween I was just wondering why you didn't, and if you knew that Halloween means All Hallows Eve, which is the day before All Saint's Day which is a Holy day?

Halloween began as a day on which children dressed up as various Saints who would be honored the following day. This holiday, thus, is derived from the Holy Day honoring the saints of the church. Over time there came to be a fusion between the pagan tradition of ghosts and goblins, with the Catholic Christian tradition of the Holy Day of All Hallows. The Church never fused or confused the two, but various cultures began to merge the two. As a result, on Halloween many societies lump together Dracula, Jack the Ripper, Frankenstein, ghosts, and goblins while the Church celebrated All Saints Day.

heh, halloween was fun for me back when i had a social life and parties to attend, and trick-or-treating to do. all the trick-or-treaters around here are just obnoxious teens who get mad when you don't give them enough candy. greedy. :mad:

i miss halloween parties though. hmmm, if i'm still here then (still dunno) i know some people in memphis from another forum, maybe they're gonna be having a halloween meet type thing? :hmm:

MissVelvetDress_75 said:

Must be an Irish thing :shrug:

Jack-O-Lanterns

Irish children carve out potatoes and turnips and light them for their Halloween gatherings. As legend has it, these "lanterns" commemorate Jack, a shifty Irish villain so wicked that neither heaven nor the Devil wanted him. Rejected by both the sacred and profane, he wandered the world endlessly looking for a place to rest, his only warmth a glittering candle in a rotten potato or turnip.

Halloween didn't become widely celebrated in the United States until the 1800s. Irish immigrants fleeing their country's potato famine began settling in the U.S., and brought many of their customs with them. At the time, the favorite pranks in New England included such benign tricks as tipping over outhouses and unhinging fence gates. Because the New World had an abundance of pumpkins, which were more suitable as lanterns, they replaced turnips and have become a major symbol of modern Halloween.

We still use the turnips though :laugh:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom