I was officially *this* close to a heart attack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonosloveslave

Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Staff member
I get home and there is a message on the machine from one of my credit card companies. It was an automated call, but it said, "This is not a sales call. We are calling regarding potentially fraudulent activity on your account."

I immediately knew this was a serious possibility because I only use this card for one thing. I have my long distance account set up to be debited from this account. It only ever debits $20 at a time, and often it's only charged every other month. I don't carry this card on me, but I was panicked that maybe someone somehow got ahold of the number.

I call and jump through a bunch of password, SSN#, mother's maiden name, etc hoops. I finally get a live person, and he says "We wanted to confirm that you approved this $20 charge through OPEX (my long distance company)."

:crack:

This same charge has been going on this card for almost 3 years. WHY are they calling me NOW about a *$20* charge that has been on there regularly for so long? :mad:

I guess better safe than sorry, but sheesh........

:angry:

We had a similar call not too long ago; our bank called to tell us of a $200 charge that was placed by AOL! What happened was our youngest son had an account assigned by us; AOL sent him a message with some bogus offer about wanting him/us to bill an entire year in advance...yada yada yada...he didn't know and he merely clicked the OK button because he didn't know any better...

When AOL tried to pass it through, our bank shut it down because they recognized it as an obvious overcharge - they called us with the same Fraudulent overcharge greeting! and we're glad they did..... the representative told us that AOL is one of the biggest violators that result in those types of calls...

:down:

Bugger eh. It pays to look closely at bank statements and things. I dont think my bank would question anything....:slant:
Glad its all ok for you all with bad stories.

Back
Top Bottom