ZooTV II? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2003, 12:39 AM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 12:29 AM
ZooTV II?

A comment I made in another thread got me thinking...

Most of us realize what sheer brilliance ZooTV was. In my opinion, this was the best tour by any band, ever.

To me, what made ZooTV so brilliant was that it was more than a concert. The characters, costumes, theatrics, video screens, everything, just all melded into some brilliant thing that I'm not sure any words can describe.

We now have the Sydney video which is an excellent souvenir. However, many of us didn't get to see any ZooTV shows live.

I dare say that most people would not object to ZooTV II. I know I wouldn't. They gave us the stripped-down tour with Elevation. Now it's time for them to go back to the big, loud, overblown extravaganzas. Yeah, it probably wouldn't live up to the first ZooTV tour, but it would still be excellent to see something like this. If this new album is really the "rocker" we've been promised, I think it would fit nicely.

I realize this is probably never going to happen, but I'm wondering what others think.

Would you be opposed to ZooTV II?

Old 10-12-2003, 01:09 AM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:29 PM
Yes.

I don't like spectacles. I go to hear the music. The last tour was just what I was hoping for: a great band playing great music. I don't need or want all the costumes, special effects, or theatrics. Just play great songs live and make them even better than the studio version.

Old 10-12-2003, 01:12 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

but they never repeat themselves.....

that's the whole deal with them.
Old 10-12-2003, 02:16 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by JOFO
but they never repeat themselves.....

that's the whole deal with them.
Good point.

I personally wouldn't object to that, just because I think it'd be neat to get that experience once...but I do see where people would object. And martha made a great case against Zoo TV II.

Angela
Old 10-12-2003, 03:45 AM   #5
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:29 PM
ZooTV was great. They needed to do the big stadium tour and multimedia overload thing once.

But they don't need to do it again. Stadium tours are ridiculous. I've never been to one, but I have to wonder if half the people there can even see the band. And the multimedia overload was right in 1992 and 1993 but not now. And making a sequel of a tour is a dumb idea to begin with.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:56 AM   #6
Jesus Online

Local Time: 11:29 AM
ZooTV was something else. Even if they wanted to, I dont think they could repeat it. I think it was the best concert I have ever been too, but I have never been a fan of a band as much as I have been of U2. I have never been squashed against a railing in the front row surrounded by 110,000 others who feel exactly the same way. I have never seen the sweat dripping from an artist's face with as much passion and commitment.
I have never been that blown away by an event in my life.

ZTVII - Bring it on.
Old 10-12-2003, 09:00 AM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:29 AM
heart says yes because I've never experienced it and would love to

head says it's not a good idea
Old 10-12-2003, 09:57 AM   #8
The Fly

Local Time: 07:29 PM
I would not mind at all but I know they won't do it.
Old 10-12-2003, 01:00 PM   #9
Refugee

Although Zootv and Popmart tours were great to actually see (I saw both) I think they got it right with the Elevation tour, not as much gimmickery but enough to keep us entertained visually as well as being more intimate in the smaller arenas rather then stadiums, I for one would be very happy to see a kind of Elevation II rather then Zootv again, just hope the next tour is arenas and not stadiums!
Old 10-12-2003, 01:17 PM   #10
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by martha
Yes.

I don't like spectacles. I go to hear the music. The last tour was just what I was hoping for: a great band playing great music. I don't need or want all the costumes, special effects, or theatrics. Just play great songs live and make them even better than the studio version.
as big as Zoo TV was, after the opening of Zoo Station you tended to ignore the rest of the set and the only thing visible to you was the band.
Old 10-12-2003, 05:34 PM   #11
The Fly

The bigger the better I say

Musically and visually Popmart and ZooTV were amazing. When i think of U2 live I think of the Zoo Station intro, the Roy Liechtenstein BTBS animation or the Lemon etc.

The Elevation to me came across as U2 'sucking up', trying to please everyone and entice back whoever they lost in the 90's. Popmart and ZooTv are more believable to me, as it was U2 doing what they wanted.

I hope to see U2 in a stadium on the next tour, as it is more memorable than the same old arenas.
Old 10-12-2003, 06:09 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

ZOO TV was a visual delight, especially Bono looking like this:

If they'd do it again, I would be happy. I'd rather they do that again and 'repeat themselves' than do something new that I don't like.
Old 10-12-2003, 06:33 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by yertle-the-turtle
heart says yes because I've never experienced it and would love to

head says it's not a good idea
I feel the same way
Old 10-12-2003, 06:45 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:29 PM
It would be cool to be able to experience Zoo TV, but I don't really WANT U2 to repeat themselves. I'm sure they can come up with something just as great for the next tour.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:55 PM   #15
Refugee

would u2 ever make joshua tree part 2? i dont think so. this is a rather stupid idea.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:10 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Searching for world peace an end to hunger and jeans that make my butt look extraordinary!
I missed Zoo TV by being in a wedding and could kick myself for not catching it in another city. I've always felt if I could rewind and go back in time that is one of the things I would want to experience but to have them come back and do it over again in 2004 no I dont want to see that. ZooTV was perfect for the moment and the place they were at then. We will have to see what they have planned for where they are now.

I did get to see Popmart and loved it and the spectacle but at the same time I loved Elevation and felt that without all of the extras the music seemed to reach the soul more since that was what was front and center.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:19 AM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 08:29 AM
U2 won't do a Zoo TV II. They can't afford it financially. They are no longer the stadium band they once were (see the 3rd leg attendance of Popmart to prove that). Sure they can fill stadiums most of the time, but they're aging and aren't as "hot" as they were back in `92. They need to fill up stadiums and tour many many dates and venues just to break even with the humongous costs in setting up such an extravaganza. Why go the Zoo TV route when you can do the budget Elevation route and get more net profit?

Cheers,

J
Old 10-13-2003, 03:52 AM   #18
The Fly

Local Time: 01:29 AM
i think there's no need to repeat zoo tv.it had its time and now it's time for them to do something else.the only thing i hope is them doing stadiums again becouse i think that their music sounds best in big open spaces. there's nothing like 'streets' being played in front of 50 000 people under a sky full of stars.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:17 PM   #19
Refugee

hey don't get me wrong, I will go to stadium gigs, but having experienced U2 in both stadiums and arenas theres a certain intimate atmosphere that seems to get lost in stadiums... as mindblowing as the visuals were for zootv and popmart! Have to admit one part in Popmart at Wembley stadium, I'm stood on the pitch with a gentle summer breeze blowing over me and had a overwhelming sense that the tunnel effect on the big screen during "Streets" was actually sucking me in! lol
Old 10-13-2003, 07:24 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

I'm a ZooTV *fanatic*. I loved the whole thing, the combination of the visual with the audial was brilliant. I'd hate it if they did it *again* however. U2 never do the same thing twice. That's what I love about them. After the JT tour nobody in hell would have imagined that the next tour would be ZooTV. I didn't. At first the whole thing flipped me out and it took me awhile to appreciate it. So I really would not want a ZooTV II as much as I loved ZooTV.