ZooTV and POP Videos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They did show those 'ads' on the HTDAAB DVD. I would imagine they're in the works. What I would really like to see, though, is a DVD for the first Best Of. The tape is cool, but DVD is better.

I've been waiting for these to go to DVD for so long. I can only watch Elevation Boston and Elevation Dublin so many times. What is the hold up? You would think U2 (being tech savvy) would want these on the better audio and video format asap. Doesn't make sense to me.

I dont know why they wouldnt release them. I bought both to them off of ebay a few years back, and they are just shit quality, no chapters and brutal sound. So dont go that route.

theedge111 said:
I dont know why they wouldnt release them. I bought both to them off of ebay a few years back, and they are just shit quality, no chapters and brutal sound. So dont go that route.

yeah, well, naturally if it isn't commercially available, it'd just be the tape burnt onto a DVD

korczykp said:

yeah, well, naturally if it isn't commercially available, it'd just be the tape burnt onto a DVD

Yep, i fell into the trap of "Japanese Import" lol

ZooTV kind of benefits from the VHS in a way. It's all videoy.

Better sound would be good though. I never have seen the PopMart one though. It's odd to think that in '97 when it came out DVD's weren't even there.

I'm going to say this for about the 25th time in the last 2 years-

No, PopMart is NEVER coming out on DVD. I heard this from a video store owner who told me it was not a big enough seller on VHS and as soon as the current stock of VHS copies finally sell out it is being discontinued.

He told me there were alleged plans to release ZOOTV but I have not heard this from the band. I have since heard that due to its low quality recording (from pay per view) it will not tranfer to DVD in the shape the band would like so it most likely will not be put out either.

That's the true story!

U2Kitten said:
I'm going to say this for about the 25th time in the last 2 years-

No, PopMart is NEVER coming out on DVD. I heard this from a video store owner who told me it was not a big enough seller on VHS and as soon as the current stock of VHS copies finally sell out it is being discontinued.

Although I won't disagree with you saying that PoPMart won't be released on DVD, I don't think that a "video store" owner really has a pulse on what's going on with items to be released. The guy buys and then rents videos, he doesn't produce them.

Look at the clips of ZooTV and Popmart on the Boston DVD....the quality is FINE.

Whoever said these videos wouldn't be released due to quality is feeding you a line. After all, they clean up old movies all the time and put them to DVD.

If these don't come to DVD it will be a sales decision, it will have nothing to do with quality.

whackjester said:

Although I won't disagree with you saying that PoPMart won't be released on DVD, I don't think that a "video store" owner really has a pulse on what's going on with items to be released. The guy buys and then rents videos, he doesn't produce them.

No, but he was the manager and deals directly with those who distribute them, and he had a several months heads up on what was coming out and when, and some word on what was not going to be coming out at all. He seems to have been right, at least about Pop, its copies are dwindling in stores and there is no DVD coming. (it was now over 2 years ago I was told this)

Originally posted by Zoocoustic
Look at the clips of ZooTV and Popmart on the Boston DVD....the quality is FINE.

Whoever said these videos wouldn't be released due to quality is feeding you a line. After all, they clean up old movies all the time and put them to DVD.

If these don't come to DVD it will be a sales decision, it will have nothing to do with quality.

He said Pop wasn't coming out because it was a poor seller and was being discontinued (like a lot of movies) He said ZOO would eventually come out. But since then I have seen online, I think even here, that the reason the band doesn't want ZOOTV coming out is because of the low quality of the recording since it was a videotape of a pay per view performance. It looks okay to me, though the camera work is a bit amateurish (I think Boston is too) Apparently the band are the ones who were not happy with the way this looks on DVD and decided not to release it.

Last edited:
I don't really get that logic-- it is good enough to release initially on VHS, but not good enough for DVD? If you want to get picky, the footage and audio mix on Slane aren't very polished but personally I prefer it to Boston. . .

I don't know, but it doesn't seem like there would be much expense in transferring them to DVD. . . make it a small run, or only available online, etc. etc.

Like everyone else, I think it is odd to see the trailers for both films on the Boston DVD, as well as 'Gone' from Popmart turning up on the Best of 90-2000 videos DVD, then not see a full release.

Actually am I mistaken that Popmart Mexico City sold a million copies, making it one of the biggest vhs concert sellers ever?

Besides, it must be released on DVD because the Popmart tour design has never been duplicated by another band and the world needs to see it. More importantly, I need to see it!!

FullonEdge2 said:
Actually am I mistaken that Popmart Mexico City sold a million copies, making it one of the biggest vhs concert sellers ever?

Sounds right to me! I could never find it so I made a copy of someone's. Illegal? Yes. Worth it? Every second! If I could time travel one of all the concerts I missed, it would definitely be a Popmart one!

U2Kitten said:

No, but he was the manager and deals directly with those who distribute them, and he had a several months heads up on what was coming out and when, and some word on what was not going to be coming out at all. He seems to have been right, at least about Pop, its copies are dwindling in stores and there is no DVD coming. (it was now over 2 years ago I was told this)

He said Pop wasn't coming out because it was a poor seller and was being discontinued (like a lot of movies) He said ZOO would eventually come out. But since then I have seen online, I think even here, that the reason the band doesn't want ZOOTV coming out is because of the low quality of the recording since it was a videotape of a pay per view performance. It looks okay to me, though the camera work is a bit amateurish (I think Boston is too) Apparently the band are the ones who were not happy with the way this looks on DVD and decided not to release it.

Not sure why the Band would promote the release of these DVDs on the best of dvd if they didnt want to do them in the future? This just doesn't make sense to me.

I don't get why ZooTv or The Best of 1980-1990 was never released on DVD. Where else am I going to see Macphisto sing Lemon live or see the video to WOWY? :sad:

I would have to disagree that the recording will not transfer over; because more proof that the quality is there. On the making of the Joshua Tree DVD they used Zoo-Tv of running to stand still from Sydney and those clips were remarkable. I am not going with that theory.

I do agree that stores might not distribute them because they would probably sell little. What I think they (u2) should do is sell it directly from the u2.com shop site. I think it going to be the hardcore fan that buys it anyway. Not some kid looking down the music section picking up u2 video and seeing that it was made in 1993.
I think those of us who what our Zoo-Tv and pop should hammer their message board when it opens saying we want Zoo-Tv and pop on DVD.

Just my take

Cheers u2fly

Back
Top Bottom