Zooropa vs Da Bomb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zooropa vs Da Bombdiggity

• Zooropa

Votes: 114 47.9%
  • How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

Votes: 124 52.1%

• Total voters
you people have no hope.

go home for the holidays, have yourselves a good time and never look back.

and if you're gonna be mindless while voting, at least ask me what to vote for first.

Zoomerang96 said:
you people have no hope.

go home for the holidays, have yourselves a good time and never look back.

and if you're gonna be mindless while voting, at least ask me what to vote for first.

:lmao: :lol: :lmao: :lol:

well, that 7ust about settles it!

'da bomb' is indeed better than zooropa.

hello hello!!!! we're in a place called vertigo!!!

rock on guys, keep the rock flowin'! i like those hot guitar licks, this is punk rock made on mars!

glory glory!

:happy:

As much as I do love HTDAAB (it gets slagged off enough by U2 90's fanatics), I gotta go with Zooropa - one of the most interesting and underrated albums of that decade :yes:

U2girl said:
Just like people keep stating as a fact ATYCLB and HTDAAB are weaker than Zooropa :hmm:

:up:

113-105 :)

I don't understand people who think that something different has to be better. Zooropa is different and I love to hear it straight through but HTDAAB is so more consistent.

MD, LAPOE, COBL, CFYT, OSC, OOTS, Yahweh, I love them all...

Zooropa has Stay and Dirty Day and the title track (maybe better than anything on HTDAAB) but at the same time it has Numb, Lemon and DGPFYCC which I consider quite embarrasing and annoying.

Okay, they get away from U2 classic sound but... what...? they suck! Should I like something because it is different or experimental or something that "sounds cool".

What's is this all about? Music. Songs. I take a "safe U2" song like MD that means something to me over an annoying and embarassing Bono's falsetto or an Edge's monochordic vocal.

Of course this is just my opinion. I don't want to buy a war with anyone and I respect and understand everyone that thinks Zooropa is better.

But looks like the "Bomb over Zooropa" fans fear to say things like these :)

MacPhistoPT said:

...but at the same time it has Numb, Lemon and DGPFYCC which I consider quite embarrasing and annoying.

:sigh:

Yeah, I know, differing opinions and all...but I love those songs. Numb - new and exciting territory for U2, at the time. Edge had done lead vocals before, of course, but this was tremendously different and fresh for them. By going for that repetitive, monochromatic sound, you can just feel Edge's "numbness." Perfect. Same goes for Lemon and DGPFYCC. I think Lemon was the first and last time we'll ever hear Bono on falsetto for 99% of the song. And the music in DGPFYCC was just so cool. I doubt we'll ever hear that kind of stuff again either.

That said, I do like HTDAAB very much. Some great songs on that album. I just don't feel like it has the same thematic strength that an album like Zooropa has, however. And it doesn't have even half the freshness that an album like Zooropa has. HTDAAB may have some better individual songs, but it flops thematically. And the flow just sucks. A collection of great songs does not make a great album. A louder version of your previous album does not make a great album. IN MY OPINION (can't forget those three words.)

GibsonGirl said:

:sigh:

Yeah, I know, differing opinions and all...but I love those songs. Numb - new and exciting territory for U2, at the time. Edge had done lead vocals before, of course, but this was tremendously different and fresh for them. By going for that repetitive, monochromatic sound, you can just feel Edge's "numbness." Perfect. Same goes for Lemon and DGPFYCC. I think Lemon was the first and last time we'll ever hear Bono on falsetto for 99% of the song. And the music in DGPFYCC was just so cool. I doubt we'll ever hear that kind of stuff again either.

I love the rest of Zooropa, I EVEN LOVE BABYFACE but those 3 songs never made it for me. They make Zooropa's ranking go down the hill.

Don't get me wrong, I like most of U2 experimental and ground-breaking stuff. I don't like those three songs the same way I don't like some more classic U2 stuff like ABOY, Stuck or Wild Honey.

MacPhistoPT said:

I love the rest of Zooropa, I EVEN LOVE BABYFACE but those 3 songs never made it for me. They make Zooropa's ranking go down the hill.

Don't get me wrong, I like most of U2 experimental and ground-breaking stuff. I don't like those three songs the same way I don't like some more classic U2 stuff like ABOY, Stuck or Wild Honey.

Okay, fair enough. Everyone's tastes are different. I have to laugh, as well; you just named my four least-favourite U2 songs! :lol: When I hear Babyface, ABOY, Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of (oh God, help me) or Wild Honey, I want to stick my head in a blender.

Oh, and Pla... :flirt: :sexywink:

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:

Okay, fair enough. Everyone's tastes are different. I have to laugh, as well; you just named my four least-favourite U2 songs! :lol: When I hear Babyface, ABOY, Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of (oh God, help me) or Wild Honey, I want to stick my head in a blender.

:laugh:

Excluding Babyface (my little precious underrated song along with The Playboy Mansion), I could have written that last line :wink:

i guess some of us really want a thematically consistent album, others don't care.
personally i think it's fantastic when it happens, and it can be an amazing strength for a work of art. but to say that a strong theme is necessary for a great album...well i completely disagree. this is as close to wrong as an opinion can get.
my argument:

'the white album' by the beatles
'physical graffitti' by led zeppelin
'exile on main st' by the rolling stones

these albums were merely 'collections of songs'. they also happen to be some of the greatest i've ever heard. an album is art...a song is art.
so enough of the tired 'zooropa has a theme, HTDAAB doesn't so it sucks', and 'it's just a collection of songs' arguments. that belittles what an artist does - that they're "just songs" and not part of a perceived 'greater work', so they're somehow inferior. when you write a song or create something it's precious. talk like 'just songs' belittles that, and as a songwriter, that bothers me.
i would guess that there are 'song fans' here and 'album fans' here - and i would be willing to bet that the pole result splits more or less along these lines...:|

dudeman said:
i guess some of us really want a thematically consistent album, others don't care.
personally i think it's fantastic when it happens, and it can be an amazing strength for a work of art. but to say that a strong theme is necessary for a great album...well i completely disagree. this is as close to wrong as an opinion can get.
my argument:

'the white album' by the beatles
'physical graffitti' by led zeppelin
'exile on main st' by the rolling stones

these albums were merely 'collections of songs'. they also happen to be some of the greatest i've ever heard. an album is art...a song is art.
so enough of the tired 'zooropa has a theme, HTDAAB doesn't so it sucks', and 'it's just a collection of songs' arguments. that belittles what an artist does - that they're "just songs" and not part of a perceived 'greater work', so they're somehow inferior. when you write a song or create something it's precious. talk like 'just songs' belittles that, and as a songwriter, that bothers me.
i would guess that there are 'song fans' here and 'album fans' here - and i would be willing to bet that the pole result splits more or less along these lines...:|

beef it up :up:

Yeah, but even the White Album has a kinda feel through it. I agree with what you are saying completely. A constant theme or style or whatever isn't necessary, but sometimes it still pulls together in a good way, others not. I think in part it's because we're used to these great U2 'complete' albums. To me, HTDAAB sounds like I've been in a coma and missed 3 or 4 U2 albums, and this is the compiled greatest hits from those.

As for 'song fans' vs 'album fans', well.... Zooropa has better songs and is a better album, so..... :madspit: I'm taking both votes thank you very much. :wink:

Are we seriously comparing Bomb to the White Album and Physical Graffiti now?

Is anyone seriously going to contend that there is anything on Bomb that is even in the same stratosphere as Dear Prudence, Glass Onion, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Happiness Is A Warm Gun, Martha My Dear, I'm So Tired, Blackbird, Piggies, Rocky Racoon, Julia, Helter Skelter, Revolution 1, Honey Pie, The Rover, Houses Of The Holy, Kashmier, In The Light, Bron-Yr-Aur, Down By The Seaside, etc?

You pro Bomb voters say that the Zooropa voters are using the 'tired' 'Bomb doesn't have a theme' arguement, but you fail to take into consideration two things: One, most of the world's objective rock music fans will rank the White Album and Physical Graffiti on a different plain entirely than Bomb(just look at the songs I listed), and two, you are just as guilty of using the 'it's more consistant' arguement over and over and OVER AND OVER as the Zooropa voters are of using the theme argeument. What does that even MEAN anyway(it's more consistant)? That a higher percentage of songs on Bomb than on Zooropa are what you would consider 'good'? If so, some of us would rate Zooropa FAR more consistant.

For the record, I don't think an album HAS to have a theme to be good either. But I DO think that whether an album has a theme or not, the songs have to be good. That's the difference between the White Album and Physical Graffiti, and Bomb.

namkcuR said:

Is anyone seriously going to contend that there is anything on Bomb that is even in the same stratosphere as Dear Prudence, Glass Onion, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Happiness Is A Warm Gun, Martha My Dear, I'm So Tired, Blackbird, Piggies, Rocky Racoon, Julia, Helter Skelter, Revolution 1, Honey Pie, The Rover, Houses Of The Holy, Kashmier, In The Light, Bron-Yr-Aur, Down By The Seaside, etc?

Don't forget.. In My Time Of Dying! :drool: :combust:

Some people call ATYCLB as U2's equivalent to the White Album! I don't think ATYCLB even comes close to the songs you mentioned!

No way man, All Because of You is a fucking classic. It's right up there man. U2 at their most creative, nay, music at it's most creative. Numb is just mumbling crap over European crap. Original of the Species sure puts Robbie Williams in his place! What can you say for Dirty Day? Who's place does that put who in? It doesn't even have more than 3 catchy hooks!!!! NOT EVEN 3!!!! No way it could have been a single. Enough said man.

VertigoGal said:
I don't like Led Zeppelin.

Oh wow, do you know what you're missing? By that, I mean, have you listened to their records all the way through?

Physical Graffiti :drool: :drool: :drool:
Led Zeppelin III :drool: :drool: :drool:
Led Zeppelin IV/ZOSO :drool: :drool:

Earnie Shavers said:
No way man, All Because of You is a fucking classic. It's right up there man. U2 at their most creative, nay, music at it's most creative. Numb is just mumbling crap over European crap. Original of the Species sure puts Robbie Williams in his place! What can you say for Dirty Day? Who's place does that put who in? It doesn't even have more than 3 catchy hooks!!!! NOT EVEN 3!!!! No way it could have been a single. Enough said man.

:lol:

Back
Top Bottom