ZOOROPA - The real "singles" album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ozeeko

Refugee
You know, HTDAAB gets all the praise for being a "singles" album. All I gotta say is...what are you all on? Besides the actual singles that were released, I'm not seeing any other chart contenders, or even songs that are written in that oldfashioned "single" style. Now, the real "singles" album for me is Zooropa. Yea, I know what you're thinking: "this album only had one single!". Well, forget the charts for a second and actually look at the individual tracks.

I'll skip the title song, for it does not sound anything like a radio hit. However, it is a dreamy Pink Floydian epic that is begging to be performed live. Could you imagine everyone in the arena screaming "lets go, lets go overground"? Totally jizz-inducing.

Now we come to real singles. Check out all the styles U2 tackled.

BABYFACE - a sexy, R&B flavored singalong.
NUMB - A U2 rap song...and they friggin pull it off. (this did have a video for it, so it's somewhat single-worthy)
LEMON - A U2 disco number (that also had a video)
STAY - The great big power ballad that avoids sounding the least bit contrived, pompous, overthetop, pretensious. It's a haunting timeless classic ballad...and to top it all off - BONOS FAVE
DADDY'S GONNA PAY - A U2 techno/industrial slammer. They could've gone club after this...on wait they sorta did (mofo)
SOME DAYS ARE BETTER THAN OTHERS - A groovy U2 funk tune, able to make even the most jaded music listener crack a smile. A worthy successor to The Smiths "some girls are bigger than others".
THE FIRST TIME - U2 soul. This is soul music, my brothas. Bono drained off all rockandroll swagger, stripped down and naked...emotionally that is.
DIRTY DAY - The U2 alternative rock song. Their one attempt to stay relevant with the rock scene on this album. What fucking outsiders. You gotta admire them.
THE WANDERER - A U2 gospel anthem. Bono's voice sounds real off on this one. Did he have a cold that day? Great choice tho. Sounds very Johnny Cash-ish to me.

Now that my friends is a singles album. You have songs to top the Pop charts, christian rock charts, r&b charts, hiphop charts, dance charts, adult contemporary, alternative...the list goes on. That is versatility, folks. That is some serious pop songwriting.

ozeeko said:
Could you imagine everyone in the arena screaming "lets go, lets go overground"? Totally jizz-inducing.

:lmao: That's not the way I would put it, but you're definitely correct. :wink:

david said:
They've been making singles albums since The Joshua Tree.

That's the point I was indirectly trying to make. U2 have always made albums filled with singles. It's nothing new. For people who look to the BOMB as THE U2 singles album, it makes me wonder what they see when they look at the other albums. I don't see rock-operas and science fiction, I see great albums filled with great singles.

I don't agree, the first side ok, but on the second only Some days and maybe Wanderer is radio friendly enough, though they would do horrible in the charts

ozeeko said:

THE WANDERER - A U2 gospel anthem. Bono's voice sounds real off on this one. Did he have a cold that day? Great choice tho. Sounds very Johnny Cash-ish to me.

WTF ?:scratch:

I see what you're trying to say, just do a tongue-in-cheek review of Zooropa making fun of the Dismantle "Singles" review.

But look at Zooropa, it functions as an album, not a collection of songs. I appreciate songs like Numb, Dirty Day, and The Wanderer more in the context of the album. (Stay is the only song I could really listen to seperately)

With the Bomb however, it really DOES sound like a collection of songs with maybe a loose, key word "loose", theme about loss, love, and every other thing a U2 album has.

ozeeko said:
For people who look to the BOMB as THE U2 singles album, it makes me wonder what they see when they look at the other albums. .

Wasn't that Bono? :scratch:

I pretty much disagree with everything you've said. Zooropa is an album album, as in one that functions as a cohesive unit, ala Joshua Tree and Unforgettable Fire. That's the opposite of a singles album, an album with a collection of songs (LMP said this), which is what I hear it caled more often then the U2 singles album.

Back
Top Bottom