Zooropa...strange, wierd, different, but alright

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bonochick said:

Wow, that's one of my favorite songs! :ohmy: It's interesting to see how people who love the same band can feel so differently about the songs.

Same here, I love every incarnation of it. :drool:

album
soundtrack version
full band live
acoustic live
craig armstrong version.

:heart:

Well After listening to it many times over. I still stand by what I say and say this has got to be the worst U2 Album. HTDAAB has better songs.:ohmy: :reject:

GibsonGirl said:

Um. No. Where on earth did you get that idea? I had to go back seven pages before I could find a thread that even mentioned Zooropa in the title. Even then, the thread was inquiring about our favourite live Zooropa, AB and Pop songs, not the album itself. Zooropa gets talked about much less than, say, Achtung Baby or Zoo TV. And it has been this way ever since I joined this forum.

its not worth trying to reason with this guy, its the same guy thats said this

I'm a huge fan. I have all of the official DVD's and CD's, I listen to them CONSTANTLY, I never shut up about them with my friends, yet I had to get rid of Zooropa because I detest that horrible piece of crap. Next to Van Halen 3 (with Gary Cherone) it's the only CD I've ever thrown in the trash. Literally, in the trash....and I've never regretted it.

btw my rankings

1. Zooropa - 9.5
2. Babyface - 10
3. Numb - 7
4. Lemon - 7.5
5. Stay (Faraway, So Close!) - 5.5
6. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car - 10.0
7. Some Days Are Better Than Others - 5.0
8. The First Time - 9.0
9. Dirty Day - 10.0
10. The Wanderer - 10.0

Seriously Why is this one of there best albums???? I have listened to it and it's very Bland. Can you enlighten me please.

Justin24 said:
Seriously Why is this one of there best albums???? I have listened to it and it's very Bland. Can you enlighten me please.

Calm down. Sometimes you get it, sometimes you don't.
I don't think HTDAAB is a masterpiece, and yet you'd disagree. Tomato, tomahto.

But you are missing out. :drool:

Justin24 said:

Different strokes for different folks. If you dislike Zooropa so much, I doubt that somebody's reply is going to change your mind...and there's nothing wrong with that.

Chizip said:

its not worth trying to reason with this guy, its the same guy thats said this

I'm a huge fan. I have all of the official DVD's and CD's, I listen to them CONSTANTLY, I never shut up about them with my friends, yet I had to get rid of Zooropa because I detest that horrible piece of crap. Next to Van Halen 3 (with Gary Cherone) it's the only CD I've ever thrown in the trash. Literally, in the trash....and I've never regretted it.

:lmao:

Suddenly, it all makes perfect sense.

Zooropa.

Vorsprung Durch Technik

Advancement Through Technology.

Hope we get to see yet another intelligent album by U2 in the near future.

:sigh:

yo man have you see the video for STAY yet???
someone show him the video!! you will love it!!
also show them the video for LEMON!!!

great songs and great videos!!

Stay and Lemon are both MASTERPIECE!! and all on one record!!

COBL_04 said:
Lemon
I do however, really like Brian Eno’s (?) vocals in the ‘man’ verses. They sound really good, and the ‘chorus’, if you can call it a chorus sounds good as well. There’s a ringing sound in the background, which is really annoying. The lyrics are terrific, especially the ‘a man burns the sand so he can see the world outside’ line. That is genius. But I was a little let down with this one. 7

Edge and Brian , but for what I know what u hear the most is Edge's voice , which yes , the highlights for me of this song is when Edge's voice come in , whether in the chorus or other lines

Y know what is the ringing 'annoying ' sound ? It's Edge's sound :lol: It's the guitar sound he's taking , Just wait for zoo dvd so u can hear it in all glory , The effect is called Tremolo

^ Really? :reject: I was just listening a bit too closely I guess. :shrug:

Thanks everyone for your replies, it was interesting to read everyone else's rankings and opinions. I do have the 90's DVD, so I'll go watch the videos when I get home.

I know this album will grow, so it is a bit premature but I just wanted to express what I first thought.

Lemon is a really intriguing song, I was listening to it all last night. Is DGPFYCC on the ZooTV DVD? Dirty Day? Zooropa ever been done live?

COBL_04 said:

Lemon is a really intriguing song, I was listening to it all last night. Is DGPFYCC on the ZooTV DVD? Dirty Day? Zooropa ever been done live?

Yes those two are, and they took the songs to a new level for me. I thought they were decent before I saw it live, but the live setting really made them come alive.

Zooropa was attempted a few times, but it never really worked out well so they scrapped it fairly quickly.

I'm giving a song-by-song ranking:

Zooropa 8.5/10
Babyface 2/10
Numb 6/10
Lemon 2/10
Stay 9/10
DGPFYCC 5/10 (7/10 live)
SDABTO 2/10
The First Time 8/10
Dirty Day 3/10 (9/10 live)
The Wanderer 5/10

Justin24 said:

Yeah, just different strokes. What you like in music in general etc. See I'm the opposite of you. I think Zooropa sounds like U2's freshest, most inspired album and that the Bomb is U2's most creatively stale effort. Zooropa, from start to finish, was recorded in 4 months, maybe less. You'd expect them in that short amount of time to just bang out some average, very U2 sounding songs, or something simplistic and fairly unoriginal. Like 10 Elevations or something. Yet what popped out was probably U2's most different and unique sounding album. Along with the chimey 80's atmospheric sound they kinda made their own, I think of the Zooropa sound as U2's other original turf. You can't quite find anything else that sounds quite like that. Plenty of influences, yes, but they're in a space there that is distinctly and definitely U2, and also not like anyone else at all. I love that it was recorded so quickly, the idea that it wasn't something they worked towards, but something that was just buzzing in their heads and they just had to let it out. They had no album due then, it was a complete surprise to everyone including their record company and even themselves. It would be like us receiving an email from U2.com now out of nowhere, declaring that a new U2 album was coming out next month, and then it just sounds like nothing else on earth. To me, Zooropa is the anti-Bomb. It is everything the Bomb isn't and I love Zooropa for all the exact same reasons that I hate the Bomb. NOT because it is experimental, NOT because it is 'weird', simply because it's fucking great, original, fresh, and just sounds like it's caught something and bottled it. That + the songs on Zooropa are far better. The bottom half of Zooropa is better than the top half of the Bomb.

Earnie Shavers said:
Yeah, just different strokes. What you like in music in general etc. See I'm the opposite of you. I think Zooropa sounds like U2's freshest, most inspired album and that the Bomb is U2's most creatively stale effort. Zooropa, from start to finish, was recorded in 4 months, maybe less. You'd expect them in that short amount of time to just bang out some average, very U2 sounding songs, or something simplistic and fairly unoriginal. Like 10 Elevations or something. Yet what popped out was probably U2's most different and unique sounding album. Along with the chimey 80's atmospheric sound they kinda made their own, I think of the Zooropa sound as U2's other original turf. You can't quite find anything else that sounds quite like that. Plenty of influences, yes, but they're in a space there that is distinctly and definitely U2, and also not like anyone else at all. I love that it was recorded so quickly, the idea that it wasn't something they worked towards, but something that was just buzzing in their heads and they just had to let it out. They had no album due then, it was a complete surprise to everyone including their record company and even themselves. It would be like us receiving an email from U2.com now out of nowhere, declaring that a new U2 album was coming out next month, and then it just sounds like nothing else on earth. To me, Zooropa is the anti-Bomb. It is everything the Bomb isn't and I love Zooropa for all the exact same reasons that I hate the Bomb. NOT because it is experimental, NOT because it is 'weird', simply because it's fucking great, original, fresh, and just sounds like it's caught something and bottled it. That + the songs on Zooropa are far better. The bottom half of Zooropa is better than the top half of the Bomb.

Even though I don't 'hate' the Bomb, I agree with a lot of things you've said here. :up::up:

Is Zooropa really a grower? The very first time I listened to it I absolutely loved it and I still do. I really think it's an album you either get into immediately or not at all

My ranking

Zooropa- 10
Babyface- 5
Numb- 9.5
Lemon- 10
Stay- 10
DGPFYCC- 7.5 (I'd give it a 10 live though)
SDABTO- 8
The First Time- 8.5
Dirty Day- 8.5
The Wanderer- 8

My rankings album version and (live).

1. Zooropa 10/10 (5/10)
2. Babyface 9/10 (8.5/10)
3. Numb 7.5/10 (6/10)
4. Lemon 10/10 (10/10) The MacPhisto theme. The falsetto's are the best part!
5. Stay 10/10 (10/10)
6. DGPFYCC 8.5/10 (10/10)
7. SDABTO 7/10
8. The First Time 0.5/10 (1/10)
9. Dirty Day 8.5/10 (10/10)
10. The Wanderer 6/10 (7/10)

After listening to it again.

Zooropa= 2/10
BabyFace=0/10
Numb= 0/10
Lemon=9/10
Stay= 1/10
DGPFYY= 0/10 (worst song on the album, atrocious)
SDABTO= 1/10
The First Time= 4/10
Dirty Day= 4/10
The Wanderer= 9/10

Justin24 said:

Numb= 0/10
Stay= 1/10
DGPFYY= 0/10 (worst song on the album, atrocious)

:|

You don't get it. Please stop listening to it. Listen to something you like such as How To Dismantle The Ridiculous Length Of An Album Title.

HTDAA is ok. I prefer Unforgettable Fire or October. You don't have to be Rude.

I like The Wanderer the most and The First time is ok too.

Dead Can Dance is more original than Zooropa.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom