Zooropa is disjointed in a grand way...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redhill

Refugee
HTDAAB is disjointed in a bad way.

Zooropa - the feeling of the music leaves you disjointed while the songs themselves on the new album are disjointed...

Some bridges/breaks/etc just do not sound like they fit in the song.

I hope they go in to the studio quickly again and put something together during this tour. Not overproduced.... Finish Mercy (quickly) and move onward! Work with Flood/Eno and forget having 10 producers ;)

Finish "Smile" too!

I don't find a lot to dislike on this album. I think if anything the song structure is pretty strong on these songs. Some stuff has the feeling of maybe the had a little "too much time" to work on it. But all-in-all I like the sound and feel of this album.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
I don't find a lot to dislike on this album. I think if anything the song structure is pretty strong on these songs. Some stuff has the feeling of maybe the had a little "too much time" to work on it. But all-in-all I like the sound and feel of this album.

Exactly, well said. It seems if they had "dirtied" up the songs just a little more they could have fooled a lot of people into thinking it was more about innovation and less about song craft. when it's clear that U2 want to make great songs, not great sounds.

And I would define that by meaning the changes, chord changes and melody lines would flow more seamlessly if they had been less worked on, but perhaps wouldn't have been overall as strong. You can see this in the early versions of Native Son/Vertigo and Xanax/Fast Cars. There are some fantastic moments in the early versions of those songs, but overall they were improved upon. So this is what you have with the current U2, love it or listen to something else.

Ideally a musician might want to do both, but it's easier said than done. Miami has some of the greatest "sounds" U2 have ever made although most people on this forum hate the "song" itself.
Very subjective, of course but we are fans. The more undefined the line between 'songs' and 'sound', the more complete the actual music is, IMO

What I mean, is that as someone that constantly records and plays my own music, I can see the problem. It's cool to come up with a great sound, a guitar lick, a keyboard part, a distorted fucke dup sounding bass line, great drum parts etc. But to tie that into a song and make the song 'stronger' is much harder to do. And on the opposite, it's cool to write a nice little song on the acoustic guitar but tedious to try and paint the song with extra effects, or adjusting for more 'sonic' textures.

It's very fun to do, not all of it is great, but it's my #1 hobby.

So I liken U2 to currently writng the 'sound' around the songs whereas maybe in the 90's they were writing the 'song' around the sounds.

I don't know if that makes sense to anyone, but it's what I see with U2. I appreciate what they are doing now, very much. It's not so easy to do. And if anything I think it takes guts to actually write in the manner they are doing it. It would be much easier to come up with a cool techno sequencer riff and have it play throughout a song and fool a bunch of pretentious eggheads who want U2 to be more "innovative". It's all going in the same direction as it once was, it's just now U2 want the songs to be more solid than just coming up with 'riffs' so to speak.

And yes, I do think something gets lost in doing that, but it strengthens other aspects, take the positives with the negatives.

For me Zooropa is very much style over substance (suming up much of 90's U2 for me). There are probably more God damn awful songs on this album than any other they've released:

Zooropa,
Babyface,
DGPFYCC,
SDABTO,
TFT,
TW.

It should have remained an EP.

You might want to check out Bon Jovi if you're keen on 'bridges/breaks/etc' that stoll along nicely and fit the song without any threat of breaking from convention or risk that the song might be 'slightly more challenging to the listener'.

Jim said:
You might want to check out Bon Jovi if you're keen on 'bridges/breaks/etc' that stoll along nicely and fit the song without any threat of breaking from convention or risk that the song might be 'slightly more challenging to the listener'.

How simplistic my friend. The common reaction to anyone who doesn't adore 90's U2 is to insult them, i.e you must not like innovative music, I bet you're really a Bon Jovi fan etc, etc....just CRAP. The reason why I don't like a large proportion of U2s songs during the 90s is because the songs just didn't come together as well as they should.

Songs such as Zooropa, Miami and Daddys Gonna... are just truely poor songs, some of the worst they've ever recorded.

Sleep Over Jack said:
Zooropa and First Time are most certainly not awful songs..

I agree. Zooropa, in fact, is one of my favourites. Gotta love Edge's guitar effects in it. :drool:

roy said:
For me Zooropa is very much style over substance (suming up much of 90's U2 for me). There are probably more God damn awful songs on this album than any other they've released:

Zooropa,
Babyface,
DGPFYCC,
SDABTO,
TFT,
TW.

It should have remained an EP.

I consider Zooropa (the song) as top 3 U2 of all time. I consider Zooropa (the album) as better than Unforgettable Fire, and everything they did in the 80's.
Style over substance?
Dirty Day perhaps?

But people are different, I guess...

God Part III said:

I consider Zooropa (the song) as top 3 U2 of all time. I consider Zooropa (the album) as better than Unforgettable Fire, and everything they did in the 80's.
Style over substance?
Dirty Day perhaps?

But people are different, I guess...

Sorry, but I can't take a U2 fan seriously who truly believes that a U2 song that has NEVER been played completely live is in the top three. Sorry, but I just can't.

Secondly. If the people who continue to say that this album is disjointed and OVERPRODUCED would give specific examples that are not just blown up biased opinions and actually have some artistic merit please step forward or forever hold your peace. Quite honestly I'm growing quite tired of some of these ANTI-HTDAAB arguments holding absolutely ZERO water.

Jim said:

since when are Bon Jovi the poster child for this style of music?

and what's wrong with SIMPLICITY in music? Why the hell does everything you hear thats GOOD be GROUNDBREAKING? Thats like trying to eat a gourmet meal at EVERY meal. Who wants to do that? Sometimes the best things in life are little moments that nearly slip through the cracks.

PowerSurge said:

Sorry, but I can't take a U2 fan seriously who truly believes that a U2 song that has NEVER been played completely live is in the top three. Sorry, but I just can't.

They've played Zooropa live b4, def during Wembley Nights, but they didn't play it much, if ne, afterwards...

I haven't listened to the album version of Dirty Day in years, it sucks compared to the live version (Sydney for example). The track sounds kind of flat and the guitars don't jump out at all on the album. It's another amazing u2 song that is strictly a "bootleg song" for me.

PowerSurge said:

Why not? a great song is a great song regardless of live performances...would you say songs like Strawberry Fields, Eleanor Rigby weren't among the Beatles' best since they weren't played live?

Sleep Over Jack said:

Why not? a great song is a great song regardless of live performances...would you say songs like Strawberry Fields, Eleanor Rigby weren't among the Beatles' best since they weren't played live?

The Beatles never played those songs live because they stopped touring a year before they were written. U2 made a concious decision not to play Zooropa live, I guess, because they feel it isn't good enough.

Last edited:
LemonMacPhisto said:

They've played Zooropa live b4, def during Wembley Nights, but they didn't play it much, if ne, afterwards...

As far as I know, it wasn't the complete version but I could be wrong. Still it doesn't affect what I said previously. ONE performance does not a legend make.

Sleep Over Jack said:

I said in the context of U2. Not the Beatles because it is abundantly obvious that they would have legendary songs that they never played because at the end of their career they just did studio work.

This is not the case for U2 and therefore still does not affect what I previously said. U2's popularity is based heavily on live shows and performances. I doubt very heavily that one of their songs (up until now) that has not been played much at all is a true classic (top 3 as someone put it) You can go through the list and name a bunch of great songs with limited to no live play (i.e. Acrobat, Red Hill Mining Town...etc. etc.) but are they TRULY top 3 all time? I think not. Enough said.

roy said:

The Beatles never played those songs live because they stopped touring a year before they were written. U2 made a concious decision not to play Zooropa live, I guess, because they feel it isn't good enough.

very well put, thank you!

I'm not a huge fan of people elevating a sub par song or even just a GOOD song to the highest pedestal just because THEY happen to have a bias towards the song. We have to take into consideration more than just PERSONAL like or dislike for a song before we can a fix it up on an altar or toss it into the trash.

The reason they never play it live is because it would be an absolute nightmare to recreate in a live setting, structually and aesthetically (as was proven). It's probably the band's most 'studio song' to date. It's one of my favourites. Top 5 easily.

PowerSurge, I love your posts. They make me laugh...

Slapnutz said:
The reason they never play it live is because it would be an absolute nightmare to recreate in a live setting, structually and aesthetically (as was proven). It's probably the band's most 'studio song' to date. It's one of my favourites. Top 5 easily.

PowerSurge, I love your posts. They make me laugh...

If a song is difficult to play live (but deserving to be played) U2 will endeavour to reconstruct it for a live setting. Look at Bad, Sort of Homecoming etc...

Back
Top Bottom