Zooropa is disjointed in a grand way... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2004, 08:16 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 02:07 PM
Zooropa is disjointed in a grand way...

HTDAAB is disjointed in a bad way.

Zooropa - the feeling of the music leaves you disjointed while the songs themselves on the new album are disjointed...

Some bridges/breaks/etc just do not sound like they fit in the song.

I hope they go in to the studio quickly again and put something together during this tour. Not overproduced.... Finish Mercy (quickly) and move onward! Work with Flood/Eno and forget having 10 producers

Finish "Smile" too!

Old 12-09-2004, 08:30 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:07 AM
I just farted in your thread.

Old 12-09-2004, 08:55 PM   #3
The Fly

Local Time: 08:07 AM
define overproduced
Old 12-09-2004, 10:01 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:07 AM
I don't find a lot to dislike on this album. I think if anything the song structure is pretty strong on these songs. Some stuff has the feeling of maybe the had a little "too much time" to work on it. But all-in-all I like the sound and feel of this album.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:39 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:07 AM
I second your fart. Nobody messes with Zooropa
Old 12-10-2004, 12:50 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Reggie Thee Dog
I don't find a lot to dislike on this album. I think if anything the song structure is pretty strong on these songs. Some stuff has the feeling of maybe the had a little "too much time" to work on it. But all-in-all I like the sound and feel of this album.
Exactly, well said. It seems if they had "dirtied" up the songs just a little more they could have fooled a lot of people into thinking it was more about innovation and less about song craft. when it's clear that U2 want to make great songs, not great sounds.

And I would define that by meaning the changes, chord changes and melody lines would flow more seamlessly if they had been less worked on, but perhaps wouldn't have been overall as strong. You can see this in the early versions of Native Son/Vertigo and Xanax/Fast Cars. There are some fantastic moments in the early versions of those songs, but overall they were improved upon. So this is what you have with the current U2, love it or listen to something else.

Ideally a musician might want to do both, but it's easier said than done. Miami has some of the greatest "sounds" U2 have ever made although most people on this forum hate the "song" itself.
Very subjective, of course but we are fans. The more undefined the line between 'songs' and 'sound', the more complete the actual music is, IMO

What I mean, is that as someone that constantly records and plays my own music, I can see the problem. It's cool to come up with a great sound, a guitar lick, a keyboard part, a distorted fucke dup sounding bass line, great drum parts etc. But to tie that into a song and make the song 'stronger' is much harder to do. And on the opposite, it's cool to write a nice little song on the acoustic guitar but tedious to try and paint the song with extra effects, or adjusting for more 'sonic' textures.

It's very fun to do, not all of it is great, but it's my #1 hobby.

So I liken U2 to currently writng the 'sound' around the songs whereas maybe in the 90's they were writing the 'song' around the sounds.

I don't know if that makes sense to anyone, but it's what I see with U2. I appreciate what they are doing now, very much. It's not so easy to do. And if anything I think it takes guts to actually write in the manner they are doing it. It would be much easier to come up with a cool techno sequencer riff and have it play throughout a song and fool a bunch of pretentious eggheads who want U2 to be more "innovative". It's all going in the same direction as it once was, it's just now U2 want the songs to be more solid than just coming up with 'riffs' so to speak.

And yes, I do think something gets lost in doing that, but it strengthens other aspects, take the positives with the negatives.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:47 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160
I second your fart. Nobody messes with Zooropa
I would third that if not for the health of everyoneelse.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:56 AM   #8
roy
Refugee

For me Zooropa is very much style over substance (suming up much of 90's U2 for me). There are probably more God damn awful songs on this album than any other they've released:

Zooropa,
Babyface,
DGPFYCC,
SDABTO,
TFT,
TW.

It should have remained an EP.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:12 PM   #9
Jim
Refugee

You might want to check out Bon Jovi if you're keen on 'bridges/breaks/etc' that stoll along nicely and fit the song without any threat of breaking from convention or risk that the song might be 'slightly more challenging to the listener'.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:29 PM   #10
Refugee

Zooropa and First Time are most certainly not awful songs..
Old 12-10-2004, 12:50 PM   #11
roy
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim
You might want to check out Bon Jovi if you're keen on 'bridges/breaks/etc' that stoll along nicely and fit the song without any threat of breaking from convention or risk that the song might be 'slightly more challenging to the listener'.
How simplistic my friend. The common reaction to anyone who doesn't adore 90's U2 is to insult them, i.e you must not like innovative music, I bet you're really a Bon Jovi fan etc, etc....just CRAP. The reason why I don't like a large proportion of U2s songs during the 90s is because the songs just didn't come together as well as they should.

Songs such as Zooropa, Miami and Daddys Gonna... are just truely poor songs, some of the worst they've ever recorded.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:53 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Sleep Over Jack
Zooropa and First Time are most certainly not awful songs..
I agree. Zooropa, in fact, is one of my favourites. Gotta love Edge's guitar effects in it.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:01 PM   #13
Refugee

Yeah the guitars are fascinating to listen to, and the song builds up brilliantly.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:52 PM   #14
Refugee

Local Time: 11:07 AM

Zooropa

as well

Pop
Old 12-10-2004, 04:02 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by roy
For me Zooropa is very much style over substance (suming up much of 90's U2 for me). There are probably more God damn awful songs on this album than any other they've released:

Zooropa,
Babyface,
DGPFYCC,
SDABTO,
TFT,
TW.

It should have remained an EP.
I consider Zooropa (the song) as top 3 U2 of all time. I consider Zooropa (the album) as better than Unforgettable Fire, and everything they did in the 80's.
Style over substance?
Dirty Day perhaps?

But people are different, I guess...
Old 12-10-2004, 05:20 PM   #16
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by God Part III

I consider Zooropa (the song) as top 3 U2 of all time. I consider Zooropa (the album) as better than Unforgettable Fire, and everything they did in the 80's.
Style over substance?
Dirty Day perhaps?

But people are different, I guess...

Sorry, but I can't take a U2 fan seriously who truly believes that a U2 song that has NEVER been played completely live is in the top three. Sorry, but I just can't.

Secondly. If the people who continue to say that this album is disjointed and OVERPRODUCED would give specific examples that are not just blown up biased opinions and actually have some artistic merit please step forward or forever hold your peace. Quite honestly I'm growing quite tired of some of these ANTI-HTDAAB arguments holding absolutely ZERO water.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:24 PM   #17
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim

since when are Bon Jovi the poster child for this style of music?

and what's wrong with SIMPLICITY in music? Why the hell does everything you hear thats GOOD be GROUNDBREAKING? Thats like trying to eat a gourmet meal at EVERY meal. Who wants to do that? Sometimes the best things in life are little moments that nearly slip through the cracks.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:35 PM   #18
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge

Sorry, but I can't take a U2 fan seriously who truly believes that a U2 song that has NEVER been played completely live is in the top three. Sorry, but I just can't.
They've played Zooropa live b4, def during Wembley Nights, but they didn't play it much, if ne, afterwards...
Old 12-11-2004, 02:03 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I haven't listened to the album version of Dirty Day in years, it sucks compared to the live version (Sydney for example). The track sounds kind of flat and the guitars don't jump out at all on the album. It's another amazing u2 song that is strictly a "bootleg song" for me.
Old 12-11-2004, 03:52 AM   #20
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge

Why not? a great song is a great song regardless of live performances...would you say songs like Strawberry Fields, Eleanor Rigby weren't among the Beatles' best since they weren't played live?