Zooropa II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Palace_Hero

Refugee, Note: Troll-like
The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference.
I want it in the next 18 months. I want a U2 album, that sounds like Native Son and Xanax all the way through. I understand why they didn't make Hut Dab like this, in terms of mainstream appeal, but I wish they did. These songs are fantastic and breathe new life into U2.

The lads have blown it not making this album proper, raw rock. They are 43/44, and if they wait 4 more years for an album, thats it I think it is too late to expect anything new from them.

I'm just frightened because while I like Hut Dab, I know it could have been more, by being less. By making Vertigo more dynamic like NS, adding Mercy and Xanax and beating down COBL, Miracle Drug & OOTS with a big stick, they could in my view have made their 3rd masterpiece. Add to that polished (mixing, vocal wise) versions of the alternate ABOY, Sometimes and Yahweh songs.. what an album we could have had.

Like I say, Hut Dab as it is is nice and all, but doesnt punch you in the face. And I feel this may have been U2's last opportunity, unless they do as I mention and make a Zooropa which does the above.

And bring back Chris Thomas. For me it seems he knew how to get the best out of U2 in these new songs.

OK, you're really pushing it. These songs are studio demos. They are actually the closest to a live performance in the course of making an album. And we all know U2 is an incredible live band. If U2 sticked to the Native Son formula, it would have been butchered in the production process, just like all U2 albums do. Live is where U2 live. I can't wait to hear the Brooklyn performance, because the snippets of COBL and OOTS sound amazing. Much better than the album versions and I love them. You speak of masterpieces. Joshua Tree - One Tree Hill, Exit, In God's Country, Mothers of the Disappeared...all these songs, although great, were almost killed in the production process. Live versions? Amazing!
Achtung Baby - Until the End of the World, Mysterious Ways, Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World, Love is Blindness: especially the latter two were BUTCHERED, I tell you in the studio versions. Live is where these songs live.
The same will happen to How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. I'm sure of it. We have already seen the pieces and on March 1 we'll HEAR it.
Don't exaggerate by hearing a couple of demo sessions that this album COULD'VE been a masterpiece. Because IT IS.

Hero has a point, though. They seem to go for the safe production sound time after time after time. That is disappointing, no question about it.

Yes, U2 is great live ... but the studio album is what lives on years later. The live versions are a nice memory, but that's about it.

djerdap said:
You speak of masterpieces. Joshua Tree - One Tree Hill, Exit, In God's Country, Mothers of the Disappeared...all these songs, although great, were almost killed in the production process. Live versions? Amazing!
Achtung Baby - Until the End of the World, Mysterious Ways, Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World, Love is Blindness: especially the latter two were BUTCHERED, I tell you in the studio versions. Live is where these songs live.

These songs are masterpieces on the cd as well as in the live performances.

well, they can make "live album in studio", if you know what i mean... that would be fantastic

djerdap said:
OK, you're really pushing it. These songs are studio demos. They are actually the closest to a live performance in the course of making an album. And we all know U2 is an incredible live band. If U2 sticked to the Native Son formula, it would have been butchered in the production process, just like all U2 albums do. Live is where U2 live. I can't wait to hear the Brooklyn performance, because the snippets of COBL and OOTS sound amazing. Much better than the album versions and I love them. You speak of masterpieces. Joshua Tree - One Tree Hill, Exit, In God's Country, Mothers of the Disappeared...all these songs, although great, were almost killed in the production process. Live versions? Amazing!
The same will happen to How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. I'm sure of it. We have already seen the pieces and on March 1 we'll HEAR it.
Don't exaggerate by hearing a couple of demo sessions that this album COULD'VE been a masterpiece. Because IT IS.

See this is where I disagree. teebee, I agree with you about the safe production. U2 layer too many sounds in the studio, atleast recently, to get a 'warm' feeling. However in JT and AB, I didn't feel this layering was being used to get a warm feeling, but rather as tools to make the song itself better. Hard to explain.. but anyway all of the songs you mentioned of those albums I loved the studio version. I'll agree UTTEOTW, Love is Blindness and In God's Country are better live. In many instances with the other songs, I feel the studio versions and live versions go 50/50 for which is better, with the exception of Mysterious Ways, which I've always seriously disliked live.

I love U2 live, and I think they are the best live band in the world. But songs are created in the studio for us, and is what alot of fans and casual listeners hear the most. So to me it is important that the songs are good originally, as well as live.

Honestly, I dunno what I'm trying to say. I have little technical knowledge of the musical business, all I know is what I want to hear as a fan. I can imagine it too, and the sounds I hear on Xanax and Native Son are it. Harsh, powerful, raw. I don't like this melting pot sound I hear from U2 since ATYCLB so much. Pop, AB, JT, Boy, War... all seemed to have distinct sounds.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT I"M TRYING TO GET AT!?!?! :scratch:

Oh well, it is only an opinion which will never change anything, and at the end of the day, U2 are still the greatest band ever. I just always want that little bit more from them is all. If I accept that their best work is in the past, then what is there to be excited about in the future? Its faith. Seems the only sort of faith I have given my agnostic beliefs. :wink:

Last edited:
I agree with you. I really like Mercy and Xanax & Wine. But, I also like Vertigo, OOTS, and COBL. I am just glad they are releasing this extra material to the public. It's a shame that most casual U2 fans will never see it.

Back
Top Bottom