Zooropa appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_acrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
This is album has a weird place in U2's world. They made it during a tour, they were very out of it while recording it, and only one song has been played live since 1993 off it, and it was an acoustic version. It lacked a bit hit, and yet it managed to shoot to #1 all over the world. It made it into the Rolling Stone Readers Top 100 albums.

Zooropa was the first U2 cd I bought. Yeah, that's right. Believe it or not, I became turned on to U2 when I saw the "Numb" video in 1993. I was familiar with U2's past hits, but I didn't really know that U2 did all those songs. I was only 12 years old when I bought Zooropa, and it was a musical journey in it's own. It was a little too perfect, it got me through that awkward little phase we call junior high. I began buying U2's past albums, and while I liked them all, they all seemed short of something. Achtung Baby is my favorite album in terms of song quality, but no album has ever meant to me what Zooropa has.

And yet.....even the band doesn't listen to it. Like it represents an era in their lives they don't wish to return to. I guarantee that none of the songs on this album will ever be played live again, with the exception of the occasional "Stay (acoustic)". Anyone who loves this album or loves a song on this album, post what you think. And if you hate this album and it's songs, then :censored: off, you :censored: :censored: :censored: hole!

Just kidding. If you don't like zooropa, then that's your opinion, and i respect it. I hate Rattle and Hum. Grill me on that one some other time!!

Yesterday, I woke up with a desperate desire to listen to Zooropa. So I did. It can be a great album, if you're in the right mood. Other times, it annoys the fuck out of me. (Well, certain songs do. Not Lemon or Zooropa or The First Time or Dirty Day.) In general, I really like Zooropa. :up:

She's gonna dream out loud....

Zooropa is one of my top 3 favourite U2 albums
can't say I miss the songs during the concerts though
they would be out of place

I completely had mixed feelings about "Zooropa" because I remember when it came out and I saw the video for "Numb" just thinking this was some kind of weird Edge experiment and really wishing U2 would just go back to making rock 'n roll.
As my fandom has increased, I started buying and listening to all of U2's albums, but there were some, including "Zooropa," that I wasn't that wild about investigating. But Bill Flanagan completely changed my mind.
Reading about the making of "Zooropa" in "U2 At the End of the World" showed me that this was a serious album, that U2 did put thought and effort and care into making it, that there was some amazing songwriting going on during those sessions and that I really should give the album a try.
Many months and many, many listenings later I flat out love that album. It's funny, sad, experimental, traditional, you can dance to it, cry to it, crank it, whatever. And as is listed in my profile here, "Stay" probably is my favorite U2 song, I love it's yearning and ache.

I am a huge fan of Zooropa.

Zooropa is one of my alltime favorite songs.

When I listen to that album, especially that song, I picture myself driving an old Trabant down the street in Eastern Berlin, right after the wall falls on a rainy cold day.

I f'ing love it...

I have a love/hate relationship with the album, but I'll leave out the bad (for one, the Wanderer- oops, did that just come out?! :silent: ) and tell of the parts I love about it:

Zooropa is an awesome song. Very unique. I love the beginning (that funky guitar sound) and when it when it kicks in to "And I have no compass, and I have no map, etc."

Dirty Day is just amazing...the guitar is so classic "U2" and the dynamics are wild.

I like the fat lady Bono voice in Numb. I find Numb kind of annoying, but I still listen to it just to hear Bono's "I feel Numb, I feel Numb, too much is not enough."

I love it when in Lemon he changes from the falsetto to "And I feel, like I'm slowly, slowly, slowly slippin' under."

Stay is a nice simple ballad type song.

When we have a Zooropa Depreciation thread I'll tell of my dislikes. :)

1. Zooropa - great song , something that should be on best of

2. BabyFace - erotic mofo rock dance ballad

3. Numb - pure fantastic , bravo Mr Edge !!!!!

4.Lemon - meloncholic dance trash tune also great

5.Stay ( faraway , So Close )

6. Daddy Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car - Bono gets mad !!!!

7.Some Days Are Better Then Others - Chill out tune by U2 , Alternative Stuck of The 90's !!!!!!

8.The first Time - great ballad , but still it should be replaced by Zooropa on Best of , hehe

9. Dirty Day - also very rocking tune by Wild irish band

10. The Wanderer - best song by U2 about whenever there is God or Not .

11.you see even this buzz sound in the end is Grrrreat !!!!!

Overall , no weak tracks , strong lyrics , high love , high entertainment , U2 at thier Golden age , sexy , smart and rocking .

Overall, I :Heart: Zooropa!

Stay transports me everytime I hear it!!!! I am 7 different places at once that made a shit to me then when that song offered change to me, my soul and how far I have came since.

And how much I wish I could return at times

Or why I rush to get to sleep and dream of a life better than the one I could possibly live.

These are the GREAT songs off of Zooropa IMO:

Zooropa
Stay
Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
The First Time
Dirty Day

These are the GOOD songs:

Numb
Lemon
The Wanderer

These 2 are the STINKERS:

Babyface
Some Days Are Better Than Others

Really a great album that summed up that year for me because of the uncertainty going on in my soul and surroundings, they are still there.

So I guess I'll go listen to it now.

:)

Last edited:
i too love zooropa! it's one of those gems that is vastly underrated, although it still does get some critical praise.

and although i miss not hearing zooropa stuff live, i agree with salome, they'd be out of place. sometimes i think zooropa was just U2 going into the studio to burn off some of their creative energy. it wasn't something for them to continue on, talk about, expand, or anything. they just put it out and went on with their lives. it's kind of interesting because think about how few people can pull that off and still have a career, and also think about how few people do that nowadays!

...and the record's not even 10 years old yet. i remember buying it on tape right when it came out. since i was a wee kid of 10 when it came out, and my dad was a fan too, we split the cost of the tape and shared it. after the beauty of achtung baby, it did not disappoint.

Before I bought Zooropa I was afraid I wouldn't like it, but I do. The title track is simply brilliant. I don't understand why U2 hasn't emphasized this song more over the years. I don't think they've ever played it live, have they? The other track off Zooropa I really love is The First Time, another incredibly underrated U2 song. I'm glad it's on the Best Of, so it will get some more exposure. Stay is also great - I like the album version much better than the live acoustical one. And Numb is so freakin' weird you have to love U2 for even daring to do it. I absolutely love the guitar part right at the beginning of it. I know a lot of people don't like Babyface, but I think it's an interesting song. I'm not that crazy about most of the other songs, although I think I would have loved The Wanderer if only Bono had sung it.

Back
Top Bottom