Zooropa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

celia

New Yorker
Lets talk about Zooropa (makes a change from POP)...

I never liked this album as MUCH as I did other U2 Albums but lately i've ben listening to it a lot! again!!

I've re-discovered songs on this album that I used to not really think much of...

The song Zooropa I think is actually amazing and I'm hearing sounds that I forgot were even there and, I love the leading up to..."And I have no compass"

Babyface is a beautiful song!

Numb - Love Edge's voice, Love the lyrics, Love the Beat! :)

Lemon - This is prob my 2nd favourite song on the album

I've always loved the song 'stay (faraway so close) but I'm REALLY loving it at the moment...My favourite song on the album!

Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car - Another favourite

Some Days Are Better Than Others - not really a personal favourite but its a good song.

The First Time - Beautiful song, glad it made the best of!

Dirty Day - Wasn't much of a favourite but again I've re-listened and like it more...

The Wanderer - what can you say? Johny Cash...Love his voice!

So what's everyones opinions on ZOOROPA? :wink:

I really truly loved Zooropa... It?s known to be the worst U2 album, but man... this album is great... Yes, it?s pretty weird. Thats why I loved it (and I still love)... Lemon is one of the greatest songs U2 have ever made... There are so many beautiful songs here... Stay and The First Time are so beautiful, Dirty Day and Daddy?s Gonna Pay are very good, and Some Days Are Better Than Other is the best summersong :)

But LEMON, I LOVE this song
"nd I feel like I?m slowly, slowly slowly slippin under
I feel like I?m holding onto nothing
And I feel like I?m drifting drifting, drifiting from the shore
I feel like I?m swimming out to her"

Great lines... great vocals... great song

The only wick point for me is Numb. I never liked this one. Lyrically it may be good but... it?s so boring.. I hate rap... Numb is like rap, I guess...

ZOOROPA, a incredible piece of music... It?s not rock n roll and it?s not as any thing U2 have made before (or after), but i LOVE it. It?s one of my fav albuns... It?s worst then Achtung, JT, but it?s as good as ATYCLB and POP. It?s even better than Boy

I adore Zooropa.. I thought it had some great tunes, and was still on that darker fringe that I liked so much about the AB period. I like U2 the most when they are writing about darker, relationshipy kind of stuff.

Zooropa ? I love it. Well I love all U2 albums. After listening to them so many times l like to shake things up a bit. Adding in the B-sides. Getting new appreciation. Getting a different perspective. A futuristic feel and a being lost feeling album. For the futuristic element I added United Colours from Passengers. Sometimes I think the Passengers album was U2?s way of finishing up and filling out Zooropa. There are some excellent songs on there that I think may not get much attention since many people do not prefer all of the instrumentals. I love the Perfecto Mix of Lemon. I find it gives it more energy. Acoustic Stay for something different and to complement the acoustic Slow Dancing. Not too many B-Sides then again being on Tour they had no time! Only Slow Dancing. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me was considered for the album but left off. I think it would be better on POP but I feel it can complement the energy of Crashed Car. Hallelujah is only Bono and not written by U2 but I think it can complement the lyrical themes in Slow Dancing and Stay. I see Slug complementing and setting up Numb very well.

1. United Colours (Instrumental) (5:31)
2. Zooropa (Promo CD Edit) (4:42)
3. Lemon (The Perfecto Mix) (8:57)
4. Your Blue Room (5:28)
5. Babyface (4:00)
6. Hallelujah (4:58)
7. Slow Dancing (Acoustic) (3:20)
8. Stay (Faraway So Close!) (Acoustic Live Version)(5:39)
9. Slug (4:41)
10. Numb (New Version) (4:21)
11. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car (5:19)
12. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me (4:44)
13. Some Days Are Better Than Others (4:15)
14. The First Time (3:45)
15. Dirty Day (5:24)
16. The Wanderer (4:44)

It all fits! Time: 79:38

I think 1-6 would have made a perfect EP. But then it falls off. The First Time? Does Bono have a cold? could he sound more nasal? Same thing goes for Dirty Day. And the tune tries to rock, but it never really gets going, very flat, the live version did kick arse though.

U2Soar said:
I agree - the live version of Dirty Day is excellent. I wonder if there is a great quality mp3 of it?

The version from ZooTv in Sydney must be around in MP3 form. Edge plays a great solo on it!

To me, Zooropa is not U2's best album, that's Achtung Baby. However, it is their second best album and I think that no album will get between AB and Zooropa on my favourites list. It's a complement to AB, also in quality. Unlike some, I think The First Time is incredible, the best song on the album. It something special to it, something magical, something everyone still has to find out (many years ago I read an article/interview where Bono mentioned some alternate lyrics to the ending of the song. Sadly, I don't know where I'd read it or what the alternative lyrics were like).

Apart from being my second most favourite U2 album, it is probably #1 on my list of most-listened-to U2 album. And every time I hear something new on it, so I don't feel like mixing it up... yet.
Finally, Johnny Cash is :up:, as are Bono's lyrics on The Wanderer!

C ya!

Marty

I had a really emotional listen to Zooropa only last Sunday, with deep discussion about the lyrics also.

I really disagree with anyone who says it's their worst album. There's a definite mood to the entire album, a definite direction, and it's filled with some of Bono's most beautiful lyrics.

Love "Stay", "SDABTO", "DD", "First Time", the title track... heck, love them all.

Long live ZOOROPA (...a bluer kind of white...) :heart:

I actually have a version of Zooropa I made with a tracklist like this one.

1. Zooropa (promo edit)
2. Babyface
3. Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me
4. Numb
5. Lemon
6. Stay (faraway, so close)
7. Slow dancing
8. Daddy's gonna pay for your crashed car
9. Some days are better than others
10. Slug
11. Dirty Day
12. The first time

I like "The Wanderer", but never accepted it as a U2 track. I think Slug, HMTMKMKM and Slow dancing fit marvelously on there. The album is fantastic. I love it dearly. Definate top 5.

Stay is one of my favorite songs. It's been stuck in my head most of the day. It has meaning to me. I love the video too :love:

I love Zooropa. My favorite U2 album is AB, but I love this one. The title track is amazing, and I absolutely love Dirty Day. In fact, when I first got the album I couldn't stop listening to Dirty Day, and I thought I was going to have to look for a shrink who treated Song Addiction Madness. :lol: :help: It's amazing. The whole album is great.

one of of my fave U2 albums
they truly managed to create what they had in mind on this album :up:

It was the first U2 album I ever bought.

I dont know what it was about this album, but it made me want to go out and buy all the rest of their albums, because that's pretty much just what I did. I think I'll always consider 1993 as a magical year for me that way :wink:

Great stuff :up:

Last edited:
You know,usually U2 fans say "My fav U2's album is The joshua tree or actung babay".yeah,I agree.
But Zooropa is very special album(by another reason).
I like this album(not love).
I don't know why... I want listen very much sometimes.
Especially "babyface,numb,lemon"....:shrug:

I didn't get Zooropa back in 93 when I first listened to it, but I get it now. It's a very experimental album.

I love the way Bono sings The First Time, it sounds like he's not trying, sounds like he doesn't care.

I think that Lemon, Numb, Stay, Junk Day remix of Dirty Day and The First Time would have made a first-class EP. The rest I could live without; although I like the lyrics a lot, to me the rest of the songs are rather mediocre and uninteresting musically. I did rather enjoyed Daddy's Gonna Pay... on ZooTV video though, mostly because of the inimitable Mr McPhisto, :)

U2Kitten said:
Stay is one of my favorite songs. It's been stuck in my head most of the day. It has meaning to me. I love the video too :love:

I love the video to this song, its one fo my favourite songs at this moment.

One of the most impressive elements of U2 as Musicians and Bono as a lyricist is they have this uncanny ability to transform the whole mood and perhaps even the identity they have established with previous albums.
Achtung Baby from my perspective is a classic, so is ATYCLB and The Joshua Tree. So, after getting used to some fabulous songs, songs like 'ONE' etc, when 'Zooropa' was released I must admit at first I said, 'whooah, what's going on here. Have U2 just thrown out a piece of thrash at the public, thinking alright we've made it now, we can just release anything and it will sell millions.

Oh, how wrong I was to be so judgemental. After, listening to the album several times, and it really did take quite a few plays before the songs and the depth of the album began to register.
Now, I rate it very highly, U2 would be first to admit that it wasn't quite the success as they anticipated, but that's why we still stick with them, the're not afraid to experiment, to try new sounds, add some technology, Zooropa has it's moments, 'LEMON' is a beautiful song as is Stay Faraway..and of course it also gave U2 an opportuniy to reinvent themselves and allowed us a deeper look into Bono and his alter-egos.

Great Post this.

Last edited:
I love Zooropa. It's not my favourite U2 CD - that's Under A Blood Red Sky (Boy if you want studio CDs only) - but I really do like it.

Zooropa - absolutely brilliant. I could listen to this over and over again. I used to hate the long intro, and when I'm just interested in listening to the lyrics I'll skip it, but one day in the car, I was listening to it on my discman and I realised it wasn't bad at all.

Babyface - I initially couldn't stand this song, but now I don't mind it. Probably the worst song on the CD in my opinion.

Numb - great song and a really good video. I do prefer the version on Best Of 1990-2000, but the original is still quite good.

Lemon - for some reason, I adore the "midnight is where the day begins" line. This song ... wow, it blew me away when I first heard it.

Stay - classic song. What more do I need to say?

Crashed Car - initially I didn't think much of this song. I didn't like it, but I didn't hate it. Lately, when I was typing out the lyrics to it (I'm typing out the lyrics to all the U2 songs I have for the sheer fun of it), I realised it was actually quite a good track and I've found some appreciation for it.

Some Days Are Better Than Others - it and Zooropa vie for best track in my opinion. I think this is a really neat song, and was the first song on the CD I listened to (because when I got it there was a muddle-up and the CD should've been Pop and I was dying to hear the original version of Gone. What a shock I got!).

The First Time - hated it when I first heard it on the Best Of CD, but now it's grown on me a bit, and I like it ... ever so slightly. Some good lyrics.

Dirty Day - can't say I like this one much. Better than Babyface, but it doesn't get going enough. Good lyrics, though.

The Wanderer - I love this song, and the vocals are great.

Zooropa is good, but it's not one of my favorites.

Zooropa is a really good song- probably one of the top 3 on the album for me.

Babyface is nothing great... I used to hate it, but now it's ok. I still dont care for it much.

Numb is a good song but I never really got into too much though.

Lemon is a really really good song and probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite on the album.

Stay... The live version of it I love(Both the full-band and acoustic) but I can't say I care THAT much for the album version, although I do like it.

Daddys Gonna Pay... It's ok. I usually skip it. I just don't like it that much.

Some Days Are Better Than Others... love it. I dig the bass on it a lot.

The first time... a decent song, but definitly had no place on the best of album (im sure that subject has been beaten to death here)

Dirty Day... Probably my favorite song on the album. Love the lyrics and the melody and the music... just a great song.

The Wanderer- terrific song and way to finish an album off...

Overall it isn't my favorite album, but it's above average. Yeah, this thread was meant to get away from pop, but I'd rather listen to POP 10 times out of 10 than Zooropa. I can get into the songs on pop more, and it's probably my favorite album.

I think Zooropa is terrific. It's the U2 album that I've been listening to the most, lately. I love the surreal kinda feel to it. I love that beneath all the synthsizers, surface noise, and flashy vocal work, there's a real honesty to it - an honesty that is all the more powerful because it is, in a way, hidden. I love the imagery. I love the way Bono's voice sounds. Zooropa definitely has a place on my "top 5 U2 albums" list.

mystery girl said:
I think Zooropa is terrific. It's the U2 album that I've been listening to the most, lately. I love the surreal kinda feel to it. I love that beneath all the synthsizers, surface noise, and flashy vocal work, there's a real honesty to it - an honesty that is all the more powerful because it is, in a way, hidden. I love the imagery. I love the way Bono's voice sounds. Zooropa definitely has a place on my "top 5 U2 albums" list.

Well put! I agree with it all... including ZOOROPA being on my personal top 5 U2 list.

I forced myself to give The Wanderer a second try a few weeks ago and I'm so glad I did. While I miss hearing Bono's voice, it's such a great song and such intresting lyrics. :up:

Back
Top Bottom