ZOOROPA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Definitely the rare album where the sum is greater than the parts. I wouldn't put a lot of the songs into my top 20, but as a package it works really well. And while I'm not a huge Numb fan, I love that they put that out as the first single. That's balls.

Also, it seems to me to be one of the last cool records before the loudness arms race of the last decade or so. It's a quiet record - and, yeah, maybe a bit thin in places - but it sure has some space in the recording when you turn it up. Lots of neat subtle details buried in there, too.

Very well-observed, on all points. To me it's without a doubt a headphones album.

I can only imagine the look on McGuinne$$'s face when they told him Numb was going to be the first single.

"The weird one with the video game sounds? And Edge singing?"

I can only hope they throw another curveball like that this time around.

I absolutely love Zooropa. It's one of my favorite U2 albums... almost as good as Achtung Baby, and better than Pop, IMO.

Zooropa is simply a style over content album.

Even though we disagree about the quality of the Zooropa, I can understand this quote. It's a very stylized production-heavy affair, but I love that experimental side of U2. An EP would probably be better, but I appreciated their forays into strange territories.

And even though it's not my favorite album, I still like some of the "lesser" tracks more than a lot of stuff off the last two records.

And even though it's not my favorite album, I still like some of the "lesser" tracks more than a lot of stuff off the last two records.

That's why I like it so much. Each song is something completely different from everything else on the album, and from anything they've done before, and that includes Stay.

Now obviously with that kind of approach you tend to lose cohesiveness and consistency, but as an experience it's really unparalleled in the U2 catalogue.

I love it, all of it. It was their experiment to show what life is like in the "bubble" of touring, and it works. Hearing the First Time at Melbourne II was just :drool:

That's why I like it so much. Each song is something completely different from everything else on the album, and from anything they've done before, and that includes Stay.

Now obviously with that kind of approach you tend to lose cohesiveness and consistency, but as an experience it's really unparalleled in the U2 catalogue.

Thats because its supposed to be like zootv on an album. Listen to it as if each song is a different channel. If you listen closely you can hear the ambient static and interference throughout. Itll probably be easier to hear on a remaster.

Zooropa (the song) = when you see the flag on tv and the national anthem is being played, like at the end of the day, which makes me think the concept is an album portraying late night television. each cannnel is a different music station.
babyface = lounge channel
numb = rap channel
lemon = opera channel
stay = soft rock channel
etc..

Very well-observed, on all points. To me it's without a doubt a headphones album.

I can only imagine the look on McGuinne$$'s face when they told him Numb was going to be the first single.

"The weird one with the video game sounds? And Edge singing?"

I can only hope they throw another curveball like that this time around.

:huh: What's with the McGuiness fixation ?

Chris Blackwell and pretty much everyone at the label didn't want U2 to do UF - but they did it, largely thanks to the new contract that McCash got for them.
BTW, Eno's grumping re: All that... songwriting credits is probably the reason why suddenly the producers are suddenly co-writers.

But yeah, Paul and Larry are definitely the greedy two in the organisation.

Well Larry at least went out of his way to apologize about the ticket fiasco last tour, on television at the Grammys, no less.

McGuinne$$'s sentiment was probably "Let them eat broker fees".

U2.com apologised back then (as opposed to the grand masters of the actual ticket selling business, Ticketmaster). That's good enough for me. :shrug:

Larry went overboard, since pre-Grammys he also wrote an apology note on the band's official site. You'd think he was selling the tickets himself. Although I will say that, and his ability to be critical of U2's work (unlike some other band members), has my respect any time.

Yeah, I'm sure McGuiness supported that ticket mess. The biggest reason of their signing with LiveNation, per Bono (a deal led by McMoney), improvement of the official site and ticket sales. Does that sound like a rip-off, money pigs organisation to you ?

It's an album that gets better and better with every listen. It's been 15 years now, and it's still getting better!!!
Zooropa, The Wanderer, Lemon, Numb, Stay!!! What an album!! Great cover and artwork. Great times!

I bought it the day it came out. I was listening to the first little bit of Zooropa & my dad walked into the room, on the phone with his brother, and saying "This is The Boys' new album". Then the next day at school (think it was my junior year of hs) my honors american history instructor said "Vorsprung durch technik".

I don't think I liked the album so much then, but was a big Achtung Baby fan. Now Zooropa is my favorite album. It gets better every time I hear it.

Zooropa is probably my favourite U2 album, depending when you ask me.

The title track is amazing. It's like the 90s version of Streets. Let the opening play out and the song will reward you. I'm listening to it on good speakers atm and I love it.

Babyface is a cool little song, with some pretty lame lyrics though.

Numb is Numb. Lemon is Lemon. Haven't really heard anything like these songs before and probably never will. I play these to my mates and they can't believe it's U2.

Stay is a classic that is criminally underrated. Can't believe it wasn't a massive hit.

DGPFYCC is also weird as fuck but it is badass.

SDABTO is phenomenal musically. Lyrics could better but I really don't care. What a bassline.

The First Time is like Stay, a diamond in the rough. Dirty Day kicks your ass, especially live. And The Wanderer has Johnny Cash.

What an album.

Back
Top Bottom