You've heard GET ON YOUR BOOTS? - Post all thoughts, reviews, discussion HERE Part 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Before we heard anything about the new album everyone said they wanted a grower. Now we have the first single people are not giving it time to grow, they just dont have the time of day. Why ? I hope they dont treat the rest of the album with such lazyness.

:doh:

Total liars.

Perhaps.

But they were definitely candyfloss submarine gasoline poppycock boots. At the very least.

People tell it the way it is! You know if this song was from anyone other than U2 you would say it stinks. The song STINKS! You have not heard any reviewers say anything good about the new album other than it is different. Different doesn't mean good. Let's all admit that U2 finest hours
are over and have been for over a decade. They now live off their prior glory. The last few albums were all garbage. Let's don;t feed the egos of these 4 arrogant washed up rockers by saying their new stuff is great when it junk.

And you are a fan? You just registered yourself. I see no argument here ... if you don't have anything with arguments then stay away from this forum.

New U2 always brings out some uber haters.
donotwant.gif

Just a couple of new points:

A lot of people will be judging this song from FM radio on shit speakers or headphones - the subtleties and nuances will be lost and it might indeed seem like Vertigo 2

Does anyone think this bit was cut and pasted together? The "submarine" line seems totally disconnected from what comes before it in theme and vocal:

Women of the future
Hold the big revelations
[paste]
I got a submarine
You got gasoline

Before anything, good or bad, anyone have to say about U2, remember what Bono said in a interview (from early 80's) that was edited in the Hall Of Fame video before U2 were inducted:

"There's a lot of people expecting a lot of things from U2, but people will never get what they expect....we're just U2 and we speak, you know, just as we are"...

Genius..

you know that movie, Napoleon Dynamite? You know his brother in the movie? He's the annoying gnat and U2 basher with no facts

And U2 is personified in Napoleon....sometimes right out there, quite intriguing, and unmistakingly mesmerizing, right as he breaks down and does the boogy boogy with his sexy boots.

In the interest of totally dodging the flame war going on, let's take a turn in direction...

...Because we've hit a point in this thread where we're talking about the song's "substantive lyrics" (or lack thereof), allow me to post my thoughts on the lyrics:

I think the song is much deeper than what people read into. It's not just a "rock song", it's something more than that. "Some Days Are Better Than Others" was throwaway, this is actually quite deep.

It's a condemnation of war and terrorism tactics, as well as the media and public reaction to it. Bono's "never seen a moon like this", where things are as dark as they are. Because, though he lived through the Vietnam War and the troubles in Ireland, there was political action being demanded from the public. We're living in times where, at least in America, the youth is largely indifferent to anything political (before you youngsters try and tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, I'm 22. And I am definitely ashamed of the apathy of my generation.)

"Satan loves a bomb scare" is definitely a reference to suicide bombers/the WMD issue of the Iraq War. "Sexy boots", as stated above, is super sarcastic, implying army boots. But I think it's a double sided image: the image of army boots, and soldiers fighting.

But also the image that Bono stated in 2004: "these are not sandals on my feet. I'm no hippie. These are boots. I come from punk rock." The "boots" seem to be those punk rock boots, it's Bono urging the public to "Get their boots on" and get involved, politically.

"The future needs a big kiss" because we've never seen times like this. Times are dark and things need to get better quickly.

I find "fun fair" to be sarcastic as well. Bono seems to be mocking the idea that the youth is generally uninterested in politics and have become intensely materialistic. Anyone who turns on MTV at any hour of the day can see this. "Satan loves a bomb scare but he won't scare you" means that terrorists are aiming to drive fear into the hearts of citizens, but the youth doesn't care because they don't pay attention. The only people scared by terrorists are people Bono's age because they're the only ones paying attention!

"You free me from the dark dream: candy, floss, ice cream." It's a condemnation of how bubblegum the music scene has become. Bono grew up with Dylan, with "Fortunate Son", and other huge political anthems. The United States, in particular, is in the throes of a massive recession and war and what are the young people listening to? "Got Money", "Stacks on deck, Patron on ice, you can have whatever you like..." It's all materialistic, bubblegum shit. The kids go nuts for it but "the ghosts aren't real", as in the songs have no substance.

Bono seems to make one last plea for the youth: "Let me in the sound." As in "listen to us. Let us in the debate. Let's get political. Forget about the Womanizer, forget about the Patron you have on ice, forget about the lollipops. We're here to talk about important stuff - LISTEN to us, or people like us."

He stated that on this record, they'd be going for the younger crowd. I don't think he just means in terms of sonic quality, but in lyrical content as well.

WOW quite as I read the song. The boots thing is also an interesting issue ... very nice written and i agree with what you wrote.

My reaction(s) to hearing Get On Your Boots the first few times.

1st listen: WTF! What a mess....but the "you don't know how beautiful you are" chorus is cool...still, what were they thinking

2nd listen: see 1st listen

3rd listen: well, its not horrible

5th listen: hmmm...starting to like this tune, but that ending stinks...

7th listen: liking this song a ton, but still not sure about the ending...

10th listen: LOVE this song...damn, this thing really grew on me, even the last bit.

Now I've listened to the song about 15 times in row with some high-end Grado headphones, and it's hard to remember back to when I thought the song was a disaster. This thing rocks in all the right ways. And not to annoy Vertigo fans, but I'm digging this song far more than I ever liked Vertigo. To me, that's a very good sign (as is just how great the other 3 beach clips sound).

*bang*

The forty-seven dead beats
Livin' in the backstreet
North, East, West, South
All in the same house
Sittin' in a back room
Waitin' for the big boom
I'm in a bedroom
Waitin' for my baby

She's so mean
I don't care
I love her eyes and her wild wild hair
Dance to the beat that we like best
Heading for the 90's
Living in the wild wild west

Wild wild west
(Wild west)

Mandy's in the back room
Handing out valium

Sheriff is on the airwaves
Talkin' to the DJs
Forty-seven heart beats
Beatin' like a drum
Gotta live it up / Live it up
Live it up / Live it up
Ronnie's got a

She's so mean
I don't care
Headin' for the 90's
Livin' in the wild wild west

The wild wild west
(Wild west)

*bang*

Ah, put two flags in the air
And march them up and down
You can live it up / live it up
Live it up / live it tp
All over the town
And turn to the left
Turn to the right
I don't care as long as she comes tonight

She's so mean
But I don't care
Dance to the the beat that we like best
Headin' for the 90's in the wild wild west

The wild wild west
The wild wild west
(Wild west)
Wild west

*bang*
*bang*

(Livin' in the wild wild west)
(The wild wild west)
(Wild west)

Headin' for the 90's
Livin' in the 80's
Screamin' in a back room
Waitin' for the big boom
Gimme gimme wild west
Gimme gimme safe sex
Gimme love gimme love
Gimme time to live it up

She's so mean
But I don't care
Headin' for the 90's livin' in the wild wild west
The wild wild west
The wild wild west
(Wild west)
Wild west
*bang*

How bad should I feel for enjoy this??? :reject:

Dear The John Tree,

Thank you for your wonderful reading of the song. Couldn't agree more ...

Sincerely.

Why is there even a new thread for this (thread no. 4)? Hasn't that song been discussed to death now? I don't think there's anything more to say about that song. The haters will continue to hate it, the ones who like it will like it even more. I'm sick of reading posts from overreacting, hysterical people who act as if the world is coming to an end just because they don't like the song.

I've listened to it a couple of times again last night after not listening to it all day while I was at work and I still like it. It's not amazing, but it's good, and that's enough for a lead single. I'm still irritated by the middle8 and the weak ending, but the rest I really like. I just thought over and over again that this song won't have a long carreer on the radio, because it's not that radio friendly, the general public won't enjoy it because they are used to hearing different stuff on radio today. It's too weird to be a "safe" radio song. While some fans may find that a bad thing, others should like it because they've always wanted U2 to go away from mainstream radio friendly music again.

Just a couple of new points:

A lot of people will be judging this song from FM radio on shit speakers or headphones - the subtleties and nuances will be lost and it might indeed seem like Vertigo 2

Does anyone think this bit was cut and pasted together? The "submarine" line seems totally disconnected from what comes before it in theme and vocal:

Women of the future
Hold the big revelations
[paste]
I got a submarine
You got gasoline
yes that one bit also attracted my attention. It doesn't seem connected, but maybe it's about the international war trades. Then it would fit in. But the connection with women of the future... :hmm:

yes that one bit also attracted my attention. It doesn't seem connected, but maybe it's about the international war trades. Then it would fit in. But the connection with women of the future... :hmm:

The allies have the submarine and the middle-east countries do have the gasoline to make the submarine work, i think. It's quite like it has something to do with war trades .... difficult difficult

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom