You've heard GET ON YOUR BOOTS? - Post all thoughts, reviews, discussion HERE Part 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing I don't care for about the song are the verses. Where's the melody? Plus, I'm not a fan of the speak-sing style.

But the rest of it makes up for the un-sing-alongable verses.

I agree. I don't think Bono is suited for this style of singing. Maybe in his lower register, but for some reason it's always in his mid range and he sounds like i dunno, tired or something. Still....light years ahead of "Lights...go down...it's dark..." I don't even want to think about it. This song is good.

I agree. I don't think Bono is suited for this style of singing. Maybe in his lower register, but for some reason it's always in his mid range and he sounds like i dunno, tired or something. Still....light years ahead of "Lights...go down...it's dark..." I don't even want to think about it. This song is good.

kind of out of breath

What I really like about Boots is that it cold-cocked me much like the Fly did. I was really WTF for two listens. I'm still a little WTF, but very into it (if that makes any sense). Having been there for With or Without You and Desire, when the Fly first came out it really opened my eyes (ears) so to speak. The way this band can reinvent themselves is a quality I love and admire a lot. If anything, Boots, with its crazy good sonic layers, gives me a vibe that the rest of the album coming our way is going to offer up some bolder forms of experimentation that this decade lacks as far as U2 history goes. (I say this and love All That... in my top 4/5 easy.)
I don't know. I can't prove it yet, but I just know that we're going places with this u2 sound post 2008. How can you not love that thought in and of itself? :hyper:

Every time i listen to Boots there is always a new thing i grasp, something i didnt get with Vertigo, whcih was straight up and fully heard the first time round. This is a many layered grower.

Welp, I'll express my opinion. This song absolutely blows. Been listening to U2 for 18 years. I love their old stuff, I love most of their new stuff. This though is complete trash. There is absolutely no substance whatsoever to the song. It's not creative or original, as it is a rip off of "Wild Wild West", a terrible '80's song. It took Bono four and 1/2 years to think up saying "let me in the sound" 20 times straight. Gee, real creative there brother. How about "let me turn the radio off when this trash comes on."

It boggles my mind how many people on here are going nuts over this song. The Edge's riff is annoying, the chorus is terrible. I'm actually ashamed this is a U2 song. It may be time for them to hang it up.

Hey Roland....this is your old friend from Etown...with one of your Messier rookie cards.....Get On Your Boots!!!!!!!!

The Boots will give some people a swift kick in the balls but thats what music needs right now :)

Welp, I'll express my opinion. This song absolutely blows. Been listening to U2 for 18 years. I love their old stuff, I love most of their new stuff. This though is complete trash. There is absolutely no substance whatsoever to the song. It's not creative or original, as it is a rip off of "Wild Wild West", a terrible '80's song. It took Bono four and 1/2 years to think up saying "let me in the sound" 20 times straight. Gee, real creative there brother. How about "let me turn the radio off when this trash comes on."

It boggles my mind how many people on here are going nuts over this song. The Edge's riff is annoying, the chorus is terrible. I'm actually ashamed this is a U2 song. It may be time for them to hang it up.

it shouldn't boggle your mind, because some people in the world like emo music, some like all kinds of things.

Respect that other like it, and we'll repect that you don't.:wave:

I'm sure people had a similar reaction to The Fly, so, I mean, maybe give it more than (how long has it been?) 20 hours before you write off the rest of the album that is 6 weeks away, and their careers

What does everyone LIKE about the song? How about that.

Nice 1 Sicy....

1 - The 1:18 - 1:23 part
2 - The chorus, especially the second time, right after Bono's growl
3 - The "Let me in the sound" part
4 - The beginning
5 - The middle
6 - The end

Eh, it boggles my mind how some people can trash the song so much. What are you gonna do? :shrug:

Sorry you hate it so much.

Lyrics

U2 - Get On Your Boots Lyrics
The future needs a big kiss
Winds blows with a twist
Never seen a moon like this
Can you see it too?

Night is falling everywhere
Rockets at the fun fair
Satan loves a bomb scare
But he won’t scare you

Hey, sexy boots
Get on your boots, yeah

You free me from the dark dream
Candy floss ice cream
All our kids are screaming
But the ghosts aren’t real

Here’s where we gotta be
Love and community
Laughter is eternity
If joy is real

You don’t know how beautiful
You don’t know how beautiful you are
You don’t know, and you don’t get it, do you?

That’s someone’s stuff they’re blowing up
We’re into growing up
Women of the future
Hold the big revelations

I got a submarine
You got gasoline
I don’t want to talk about wars between nations

Not right now

Hey sexy boots…
Get on your boots, yeah
Not right now
Bossy boots

You don’t know how beautiful
You don’t know, and you don’t get it, do you?

Hey sexy boots
I don’t want to talk about the wars between the nations
Sexy boots, yeah

Let me in the sound
Let me in the sound
Let me in the sound, sound
Meet me in the sound

Let me in the sound
Let me in the sound, now
God, I’m going down
I don’t wanna drown now
Meet me in the sound

Let me in the sound
Let me in the sound
Meet me in the sound

Get on your boots
Get on your boots
Get on your boots
Yeah hey hey

Well, it's definitely different... I don't really care how the album version sounds, I'm more curious to hear how a live version will sound... Vertigo needed a lot of rehearsals before it sounded decent...

The song is #67 on itunes!

...yes, someone has probably been mentioned this already, but I don't feel like reading the previous posts... that would take time and I want to be the first to mention its ranking on itunes! Now I've kind of made that point moot by typing up my reasoning here...

i'm so alone :sad:

Whoa whoa whoa...where's the verse?!?! The verse is the best part!!!

Upon repeat visits with the song, I've decided that I really like it. It's interesting to me that this song is a lead single, because it doesn't sound like one to me. Vertigo was a lead single. Beautiful Day was a lead single.

Get On Your Boots, to me, sounds like one of those quirky album cuts that the mass public doesn't really know, but I love. Similar to a "Wild Honey" or something: if you don't own ATYCLB or you're not a massive U2 fan, you probably don't know that track. But I love it for being so quirky and fun.

That's how this song.

God, that verse is just infectious.

By the way? It's shocking to me that, in the time it takes me to write a single post, 6 others have been posted!

This thread is moving like gangbusters!!!!

On my umpteenth listen and at first I didn't know what to think, definitely liked certain parts and it sort of sounds like 3 songs put together, but I think it's great bc I think they're saying get ready, we're off on another path and it's going to be a fun dark one!!! It's catchy, wish Edge's solo at the end was about 30 seconds longer and it's the type of song where it needs to be played loud!!! I can hear older songs in it, as others have mentioned, but it's just a flavor and I love the Moroccan vibe to it, the bass line is killer!!! This will blow the top off of a concert!!! Can't wait for the rest!!!

Haha, funny talking about respect on this site. The same site where people take pleasure in trying to censor every one, close threads, lob insults at anyone who actually voices an opinion, and obsess over whether a new thread has a remote connection to a topic in another thread. If so, you all make sure that poster gets blasted and treated like leper instead of a fellow U2 fan. Wah wah, "this was already poooooosted." (in a five year old's voice).

Look, I've been visiting this site for a long time. I never posted at all b/c I never wanted to get into the pissing matches that always flare up on here. The people on here remind me of the hardcore fans who nazified the lines to get into the heart during the ATYCLB tour, keeping notebooks of supposed people in line, leaving concerts early to get back in line and "reserve" spots for 20 people who weren't actually in line, etc.

This is a forum is it not? "Forum: b: a public meeting place for open discussion c: a medium (as a newspaper or online service) of open discussion or expression of ideas."

I'm allowed to say the song fucking blows and question how others think it doesn't, if not, then this isn't a forum, this is a factory for groupthink.

I'm allowed to say the song fucking blows and question how others think it doesn't,

Of course you're allowed to say it blows. But be prepared for people to fight back if you act like an asshole about it.

Not saying you're doing that, but if you notice, the people who are getting mocked and shot down are the ones who have a definite attitude about their opinion being fact, and that if you don't agree you're blind/deaf/a sheep/possibly an idiot.

I'm curious at the...extreme hatred some feel towards the song. At the end of the day, it's just a song. There are songs I don't like, but I don't turn around and curse the person who wrote the damn thing!

It took 2 1/2 years for Bono to think up Let me in the sound 20 times? Yeah. What would you like to hear over that part? Shakespeare's 20th sonnet?

Sometimes it's about serving the song. Just like "yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah" at the end of Vertigo. It just fits.

Edited to add: this isn't meant to sound nasty. I'm just trying to keep the actual discussion of the song going with "whys" instead of just simply saying "this song is good" or "This song is bad."

Haha, funny talking about respect on this site. The same site where people take pleasure in trying to censor every one, close threads, lob insults at anyone who actually voices an opinion, and obsess over whether a new thread has a remote connection to a topic in another thread. If so, you all make sure that poster gets blasted and treated like leper instead of a fellow U2 fan. Wah wah, "this was already poooooosted." (in a five year old's voice).

Look, I've been visiting this site for a long time. I never posted at all b/c I never wanted to get into the pissing matches that always flare up on here. The people on here remind me of the hardcore fans who nazified the lines to get into the heart during the ATYCLB tour, keeping notebooks of supposed people in line, leaving concerts early to get back in line and "reserve" spots for 20 people who weren't actually in line, etc.

This is a forum is it not? "Forum: b: a public meeting place for open discussion c: a medium (as a newspaper or online service) of open discussion or expression of ideas."

I'm allowed to say the song fucking blows and question how others think it doesn't, if not, then this isn't a forum, this is a factory for groupthink.

nyah nyah

Haha, funny talking about respect on this site. The same site where people take pleasure in trying to censor every one, close threads, lob insults at anyone who actually voices an opinion, and obsess over whether a new thread has a remote connection to a topic in another thread. If so, you all make sure that poster gets blasted and treated like leper instead of a fellow U2 fan. Wah wah, "this was alread poooooosted." (in a five year old's voice).

You have succeeded, welcome to you first pissing match :wave:

I strongly suggest that if you don't like the way the forum is run, to find another forum.

Threads a re closed and merged for the sake of order. I don't see how that is a problem, because it is chaotic when there are 5 threads on one topic.

As for the rest of your post, if you aren't willing to discuss the difference of opinion like an adult (which I was trying to do with you), I'm afraid I can't help you

You mean the ones who camped out all night to hog the best spots, then when the lines formed wrote down names and marked your hands, then disappeared back to their hotel rooms until the doors opened?

walkon: you can definately challenge people on their opinions to the song based in a valid and intellectual discussion, not by STARTING a pissing match by calling the opinions of others mind-boggling.

This land is your land, this land is my land
From California, to the New York Island
From the redwood forest, to the gulf stream waters
This land was made for you and me

:hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom