You've heard GET ON YOUR BOOTS? - Post all thoughts, reviews, discussion HERE Part 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok in my personal oppinion I am not liking this after giving it 24 hours.
But this is according to my taste. SO someone might think different.

It's not the worst U2 song, But just not one I would like to hear a lot at all.

The problem is I like songs with a melody to them and this song lacks a good melody but instead has the grinding gritty guitar which to me reminds me of Wrestling TV and its done in the almost talking rap style that fast cars had which i don't care for as well.

On the last Album I liked COBL, MD, Crumbs ect as they had a melody to them. So did Beautiful day, Walk On Stuck ect.

This just lacks that for me and I hope like Vertigo, The rest of the album is not like this and this is not the way the new sound is. I hope there is a COBL, Walk On,ISHFWILF in there somewhere.

There's been such an array of opinions about this song from loyal fans who have followed from the beginning or became hooked on our band more recently. How many musicians could elicit such passionate discussion about a song these days?

GOYB has unique & familiar elements - the genes of Fast Cars and Love & Peace seem to have found their way into the song. I remember failing to understand how so many on our board loved Love & Peace - I didn't get it. And I don't entirely get this song, despite listening to it over 50 times now.

It's groovy and cheeky with a memorable driving rhythm, but, for me, it lacks the memorable chorus & seamless continuity that the greatest U2 songs have. I'll keep listening to it, hoping to fall in love with it, but even Vertigo had won me over by now.

Their new album will bring classics that I'll still (hopefully) be playing in a decade's time. In the meantime, I'll be a little bemused that this song was released as the album's first single and say "ENJOY!" to those on our board who get it.

This just lacks that for me and I hope like Vertigo, The rest of the album is not like this and this is not the way the new sound is. I hope there is a COBL, Walk On,ISHFWILF in there somewhere.

Don't worry about that. I think that there will be lots of songs with a great melody.

Hi guys....I have listened to the song quite a few times now and its not growing on me :sad: Its actually starting to get a little annoying. I did like it at first because I loved the new sound but to me the song just lacks something (probably a good melody). The only thing I love about the song is the new innovative sound :up: so I am hoping the rest of the album is just as innovative. Anyway I didn't like the Fly when it was first released and now its my favorite song of all time so I am hoping GOYB will be a grower over the next few months.

I am so happy that this song has impressed many fans out there and am sure this album will rock our socks off :D

I was listening to Boots again and I perceived a new sound:
Could anyone tell me what is the sound that comes along with the pre-chorus. It's a very sharp; metalic sound. I like that a lot and I wonder from where it comes from. :hmm:

Just an absolutely mind-blowing track. Jesus Christ. This is going to be monstrous live, too :drool:

Reminds me a LOT of Mofo: huge layers of electronic sound and a similar theme ("looking for the sound that's gonna drown out the world" vs. "let me in the sound" / "don't want to talk about war between nations")

This song is getting quite a lot of love on radio 1 here in the UK, chris moyles played it again this morning, and when finished started to sing "get on your boots", haha

Don't worry about that. I think that there will be lots of songs with a great melody.
Boots has a cracking melody, the "Beautiful You Are" bit is their best melody in years, I didn't hear it when I first started listening to the beach clips, then it grew on me now that I have heard the mp3 I can say this melody kicks arse.

For those doubters out there, put it in context - U2 are an album band and always have been. This is a mid album track - it's slap bang at half way in fact - this tells me something.

We're going to get a lot of long more atmospheric tracks before it, perhaps a slower one or two then this blows in your face to wake you up to herald the beginning of the second half of the album.

This is going to fit in just nicely...

This song is getting quite a lot of love on radio 1 here in the UK, chris moyles played it again this morning, and when finished started to sing "get on your boots", haha
Damn, I missed that!
I was listening to him this morning and was delaying going to work for as long as I could but I had to go...:|

Heard the premiere on his show yesterday (late for work:wink:) and they seemed to give it a good first impression.

Although I can't say I love the song, I admire very much that it is intriguing and confusing for so many people, I have heard alot of people comment that it has grown on them etc..

It seems to have totally thrown off alot of people including myself, the first time I heard it I hated it and was so dissapointed.. I think in a way I was expecting Vertigo part 2 with some different guitar effects. I think it's awesome how everyone is confused.

I am starting to think that this song is actually probably not the strongest single on the album... much like The Fly wasn't

BTW I am really starting to like the song more and more, I gave it 7 so far

Why is there even a new thread for this (thread no. 4)? Hasn't that song been discussed to death now? I don't think there's anything more to say about that song.

Because everyone is waiting for my review. That's why. ;)

I'm sick of reading posts from overreacting, hysterical people who act as if the world is coming to an end just because they don't like the song.

Then I suggest you show a little self control and not click on a thread which obviously causes you such distress.

GOYB: the good, the bad, and the ugly -- a review according to indra*

A little background on my U2 fandom. First heard them in 1983 and was immediately hooked. They were far and away my favourite band for much of the 80s. I thought Rattle and Hum was spotty -- I loved some songs, had to be in the right mood for others, and could do without ever hearing a few again. Then came Achtung Baby and well, I just didn't like it. Over the years I heard some of their new songs, but none really grabbed me enough to investigate further. In late 2003 a friend and I were talking about our favourite bands -- hers was U2, and her enthusiasm rekindled my interest. I found this site, lurked for a while, then registered and joined in. To me the songs on HTDAAB sounded a lot like the 80s songs, but not as good. So I passed on that. But I hung around (this is a great site whether you like U2 or not, although I do think some affinity for the band is a good idea here) and casually followed what was going on with touring and then the work on the new album. I listened to the clips of the new single as they were leaked (I didn't listen to the early clips though -- too much work! :lol: ) and then stayed up overnight Sunday/Monday to listen to the first official play. I've now listened to the whole song a dozen or so times.

Overall it's ... ok. While I don't run screaming from the room, I'm also not excited by it and have no urge to play it over and over. If it was by a band I didn't know I wouldn't give it another thought.

So here's the breakdown for me.

The Good:

-- it's better than it sounded from the clips. The first I heard of this song were several very short clips, and oh dear, I found them absolutely abysmal. Ugh!

-- it's even better with good headphones

-- it is different for U2. Whether I like it or not I do applaud them trying different things.

-- there is a lot going on in the song.

The Bad:

-- there is a lot going on in the song. Yes, I have this in the good section too. I like that they put a lot of various sounds/techniques into the song, but to me they weren't entirely successful at making it work. I find it a bit of an overly busy mess.

-- every musician/band has influences and those influences are bound to be heard in their music, but what I hear as the "Pump It Up" influence comes through just a bit too strongly for my taste. Plus many of the other influences that seem to be here are ones I don't really like in the first place.

-- I don't hear much of what I would consider experimental. Much of what I hear reminds me strongly of other songs I've heard throughout the years on mainstream radio.

-- Bono's voice. I've always liked his voice -- even in songs I didn't really care for. But here I just don't. :(

The Ugly:

-- unfortunately, I do hear "Wild, Wild West" when I listen to this :yikes: (although much less with my good headphones ... I guess the headphones allow me to hear others sounds instead of just the "Wild, Wild West" ones).

So, no, the song doesn't thrill me, and I hope the album isn't more of the same. I will check out the album, or at least several songs on the album, when it comes out though in the hope that I find it more to my liking. If I don't like it, no worries -- I'll just listen to something else. :shrug:

(* I know, I know, what a fuckingly pretentious title! But you see, I know my throngs of fans are just waiting with bated breath to read my verdict on this, so I kinda have to be grandiose -- they expect it. I am, after all, so very influential on this site. ;) )

I'm liking it more and more. But it lacks a killer blow. The solo in the The Fly is a killer blow for that song. The ending of Boots goes close, but nowhere near the sonic overload required to send it over the top. Still think it should be longer... let the music play out a bit further.

Indra, your experience in these forums means nothing to me. I've been a U2 fan for years too (although not as long as you).

I disagree with everything you said.

Just my two cents...

Hello Part 4

Here are 2 more comments on Get on Your Boots from the Oasis forum which are very FUNNY!

Curaa from USA
"Awful, just awful. So bad that even the Oasis singles from DOYS sound brilliant compared to this."

and Johnny Marr UK
"Agreed. U2 are so bad nowadays only an Oasis fan could recognize them as one of the best bands in the world (they have a has-been fetish)"

:lol::lol::lol:

Because everyone is waiting for my review. That's why. ;)

GOYB: the good, the bad, and the ugly -- a review according to indra*

A little background on my U2 fandom. First heard them in 1983 and was immediately hooked. They were far and away my favourite band for much of the 80s. I thought Rattle and Hum was spotty -- I loved some songs, had to be in the right mood for others, and could do without ever hearing a few again. Then came Achtung Baby and well, I just didn't like it. Over the years I heard some of their new songs, but none really grabbed me enough to investigate further. In late 2003 a friend and I were talking about our favourite bands -- hers was U2, and her enthusiasm rekindled my interest. I found this site, lurked for a while, then registered and joined in. To me the songs on HTDAAB sounded a lot like the 80s songs, but not as good. So I passed on that. But I hung around (this is a great site whether you like U2 or not, although I do think some affinity for the band is a good idea here) and casually followed what was going on with touring and then the work on the new album. I listened to the clips of the new single as they were leaked (I didn't listen to the early clips though -- too much work! :lol: ) and then stayed up overnight Sunday/Monday to listen to the first official play. I've now listened to the whole song a dozen or so times.

Overall it's ... ok. While I don't run screaming from the room, I'm also not excited by it and have no urge to play it over and over. If it was by a band I didn't know I wouldn't give it another thought.

So here's the breakdown for me.

The Good:

-- it's better than it sounded from the clips. The first I heard of this song were several very short clips, and oh dear, I found them absolutely abysmal. Ugh!

-- it's even better with good headphones

-- it is different for U2. Whether I like it or not I do applaud them trying different things.

-- there is a lot going on in the song.

The Bad:

-- there is a lot going on in the song. Yes, I have this in the good section too. I like that they put a lot of various sounds/techniques into the song, but to me they weren't entirely successful at making it work. I find it a bit of an overly busy mess.

-- every musician/band has influences and those influences are bound to be heard in their music, but what I hear as the "Pump It Up" influence comes through just a bit too strongly for my taste. Plus many of the other influences that seem to be here are ones I don't really like in the first place.

-- I don't hear much of what I would consider experimental. Much of what I hear reminds me strongly of other songs I've heard throughout the years on mainstream radio.

-- Bono's voice. I've always liked his voice -- even in songs I didn't really care for. But here I just don't. :(

The Ugly:

-- unfortunately, I do hear "Wild, Wild West" when I listen to this :yikes: (although much less with my good headphones ... I guess the headphones allow me to hear others sounds instead of just the "Wild, Wild West" ones).

So, no, the song doesn't thrill me, and I hope the album isn't more of the same. I will check out the album, or at least several songs on the album, when it comes out though in the hope that I find it more to my liking. If I don't like it, no worries -- I'll just listen to something else. :shrug:

(* I know, I know, what a fuckingly pretentious title! But you see, I know my throngs of fans are just waiting with bated breath to read my verdict on this, so I kinda have to be grandiose -- they expect it. I am, after all, so very influential on this site. ;) )

You are!!!! :love: :cute: :heart:

BEG's review: I haven't heard it yet. :D

Indra, your experience in these forums means nothing to me. I've been a U2 fan for years too (although not as long as you).

I disagree with everything you said.

Just my two cents...

I don't DISagree with everything she has said but with much of it. My experience with the song has been more the opposite. What you find "good" about it are the things I'm still having problems with, what you find "bad" are actually the things I like. And I don't know these songs everyone is quoting here in comparision, thank God.

And OASIS, give me a break. Since when are Oasis fans the center of the musical universe? I couldn't care less about their opinion on anything.

I was just talking to a friend of mine who is not a U2 fan but finds the song interesting and very catchy. He said there are not many bands of U2's status that pull off something like that so late in their carreers. Most established bands settle to do the same stuff for the rest of their lives. So props for U2 for trying new stuff. :up:

GOYB sounds to me like something that they found in the cupboard of Hanover Quay from 1996 when they were recording Pop, took to Eno and Lanois who then put it into their Apple Mac and applied the same settings as Vertigo. Its the worst single U2 have ever released.

Pop was masterful but this is a pale reflection of even the worst track on Pop - Discorteque.:angry:

i asked in the other thread but it got closed right after...whats the deal with there being a white cover and a black cover for GOYB on iTunes?

The black cover is from the regular edition, and the white cover is from the deluxe version.

I think Bono was wrong: Vertigo was not punk rock from Venus. THIS is punk rock from Venus. Vertigo was more punk rock from Mars indeed. You know just like this book "Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus". Vertigo was really dark blue and this is more glittering pink.

For me in this song Bono is playing the role of a girl, a very sophisticated, materialistic one like Paris Hilton or this kind of girls, even if less famous of course, that just want to have fun -"get on your boots", "let me in the sound"...- without caring about "wars between nations" or "bomb scare", living in a superficial world "Candy bars, ice cream /All the kids are screaming but the ghosts aren’t real /Here’s what you gotta be /Love & community /Laughter is eternity if the joy is real " and just feeling concerned by her own appearance "You don’t know how beautiful /You are...".

So, this song appears to me like an hymn to futility, not something that is directly pointing to army and wars, but as Bono is here playing a role he is of course in fact criticizing this kind of behaviour and this seems indeed like a different and very clever way to send his messages. I think we can really fell this futility in the very little, funny and even caustic solo of the Edge, the fact that Bono sounds to be acting like a pest "I don’t wanna talk about wars between nations /Not right now" or simply the fact this song is very close to what youth music is nowadays.

This tune is indeed very modern, I think the most modern a rock song can sound today. I really like the fact that they are trying to use hip-hop music to find another musical direction just like they did years ago with electronic music. The goal here seems to create a rock song that still can be relevant in the actual music landscape and not just the dedicated rock song that will make a break between two rn'b tunes on radio. For me this is how to be modern and innovative nowadays as it is more a fresh and unused direction than just putting techno sounds in a tune. The lyrics and the role Bono is playing are very in line with this kind of sound and that gives this song a great coherence and identity.

The riff is fantastic btw, loves every part of it, especially the drums one and the "Eh-Eh-Eh" (just wanted more of these ones :angry:) at the end, etc. Fantastic song :drool:.

It really makes me laugh when i see posts start out with "i have been a U2 fan for many years, but i hate the song etc etc", and then go on to state that just because THEY dont like the song that U2 arent "creative" anymore, what a stupid thing to say, music is subjective, i personally love the song and really wouldnt want them to change anything, so why should they change something just because you dont like it?,

p.s. the single has obviously already had some impact, as the album is already number 1 on amazon.com music chart (on PRE-ORDERS alone), number 7 on amazon.co.uk, and number 7 on hmv pre-order charts, over a month before its even out.

What I like is that according to the beach clips, this song was the one I liked the least.... and now that it's out there, I like it.

I guess the album will be great! :hyper:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom