You've heard GET ON YOUR BOOTS? - Post all thoughts, reviews, discussion HERE Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sicy

Sizzlin' Sicilian
Staff member
continuing...

Previous threads:

http://www.u2interference.com/forum...-thoughts-reviews-discussion-here-192420.html
http://www.u2interference.com/forum...-reviews-discussion-here-part-2-a-192467.html

Please use this thread to post your thoughts about the new single!

LISTEN TO THE SONG HERE: U2.com exclusive - "Get On Your Boots"

or

Buy it on iTunes!

-------------------------------------------------------

A couple of technical things!

Please do not post DOWNLOAD links to the song, i.e. s e n d s p a c e, m e g a u p l o a d, etc.

There is a reason why we have those sites censored on this forum. It's a copyright violation to post links to ANY commercial

material and we could get in big trouble. Universal has threatened to shut us down in the past.

Also, please do not use this thread (or post new threads) to request the song!

You can post in the following thread to request the song:

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f196/get-on-your-boots-request-thread-only-192464.html

PLEASE BUY THE SONG IF IT'S AVAILABLE TO YOU!

LOVE it!! :love:

I'd still like to know..if I buy the deluxe version of NLOTH on iTunes, will the digital booklets and bonus material sync to my iPod or will I only be able to view it on iTunes?

The current version is much better than the beach clip imo. The extended time has done wonders.

Earlier this morning a radio station in Philadelphia took some calls about the song. The reviews were mixed, with the general consensus being that the song is okay; not their best, but not their worst. A few people mentioned that it sounded more like a U2 bside than a lead off single.

I think it is interesting that this might be the first time in a few albums were the lead off single may not be the most well known or popular one to the general public after the campaign is over. I guess Achtung Baby may have been the last instance of this, as the majority of people know Mysterious Ways, One, and Even Better Than The Real Thing far better than they do The Fly.

Danny Boy said:
I just think that with their post-punk beginnings, the atmospheric UF-JT era, the experimentation of the 90's, and the back to basics sound of the last two albums, they've covered too much sonic ground in their career for me to be shocked and amazed by any "new sound" that they've created.

Most important point :up: Even rap is not new for U2. As Adam Clayton said they are swimming against their past successes and don't want to lose.

It's good. Nothing land-breaking. But it does perk my interest for the album, as I mentioned, based on it's placement on the album. I definitely see this as part of a "upbeat chunk" with "Crazy Tonight" and "Stand Up Comedy", which Fanning confirmed is an "out and out rocker".

Makes sense, as "Fez- Being Born" sounds like an instrumental and "White as Snow", "Breathe", and "Cedars" all sound like more emotional, downward-mood tracks. I love that, if true.

i think the song is sort of like OOTS, in meaning. except instead of talking to Edge's daughter, he's talking to a half billion or so Muslim women.

This isn't a whinge but I wish people would stop banging on about The Fly all the time - completely irrelevant to today. The live Fly is great, the Achtung Baby recorded version sounds dated - The Edge said it too once, he said it hadn't stood the test of time - I agree with him - the live workings of that song have definitely moved on though.

Anyway, to all the doubters re. Boots - it's only day 1 - once you sleep on it - give it a few days - perhaps not hear it for a day or 2 - then in a couple of weeks it will sound different I'm sure...to me it's an absolute corker of a tune

1:18 - 1:24 massive waste of a potentially good guitar fill.

Overall it's an OK song. It definitely won't be considered a classic in years to come, but it's not bad. I have a few friends who I'm on the verge of converting from casual admirers to hardcore fans of U2... I don't think this song will necessarily help my cause.

I like it. Not a fan of the "Sexy Boots" line. I think it distracts from the song...and it kinda does sound like a bside from the Achtung Baby or Pop era. But it's growing on me. Love the drum breakdown, and it sounds like The Edge is doing cool stuff with the guitar again.
The mix is weird though. Like the last two albums, Bono's voice is hovering too much over the music.

Aside from my opinion of the song itself, does anyone else feel the word "beautiful" is being overused by the band this decade? Beautiful Day, COBL and now GOYB use it repeatedly as a core of the songs. We need some balance, I want more "ugly" and "disgusting", or maybe "grotesque"! Anyone else agree?

Overindulgence in beautiful can make one sick.

One of the weakest singles U2 have ever released. Not a patch on Vertigo and sounds more disposable on repeated listenings. If this wasn't U2 nobody would be buying this.

After 20 years this is the first time I've been unimpressed by their musical output.

Disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom