You've heard GET ON YOUR BOOTS? - Post all thoughts, reviews, discussion HERE Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the only gripe i have with the song is bono's soft, somewhat whiny voice. this is one of the heaviest song's you've ever written, STOP SINGING LIKE YOU'RE SINGING A LULABYE!
imagine during the "rapping" verses he was half singing half shouting like god part II. that would be badass.

that was my first impression also. i do wonder if he held back on purpose, like he was playing a character. :hmm:

I know that certain musical appeals can come down to personal tastes, but this is probably the first song in the world that is almost "objectively" poor. There are those that acknowledge it sucks, and those that lie to themselves. I think Get your boots on can be scientifically poven to be shit.

(I'm half joking but not really)

I'm certainly not trollling or anything, I love U2, but am finding it hard to hide the dissapointment I feel right now. I remain optimistic about the rest of the album though, it can't be any worse.

Well, that's your opinion and I've no problem with it. And like I said, I feel good that this is polarizing opinions. I just don't like the fact that you're saying that I'm lying to myself... I know when I like something. If I'm saying that it's because I think that way. I don't have any need to say that I love and adore everything U2 does. I'm not Chris Martin. :wink:

the only gripe i have with the song is bono's soft, somewhat whiny voice. this is one of the heaviest song's you've ever written, STOP SINGING LIKE YOU'RE SINGING A LULABYE!
imagine during the "rapping" verses he was half singing half shouting like god part II. that would be badass.

I know what you mean, am with you there.......I kinda wanted him to sing louder so we could hear him, in a more hard hitting rock way, like you say nearly shouting.:up: That was the ONLY thing with me though.

Does anyone else think the refrain sounds awfully similar to Fast Cars? - the music, harmony, etc (obviously not the words).

I was expecting him to put more strain on his voice on the verses. I'm sure this will be better live. We'll get to see/ hear it soon no? Brits are coming up.

Just heard the song for the first time on my home cinema set .. and now i'm convinced ...
It is a great track, great drums, great bass (especially with my subwoofer) ...lyrically it's very dark and it seems to deal with some kind of terrorisme-something. I just wondering who is wearing the sexy boots, to who is u2 singing? A female soldier? Who has an opinion about this question ....

Grtzzz
Michel

I know that certain musical appeals can come down to personal tastes, but this is probably the first song in the world that is almost "objectively" poor. There are those that acknowledge it sucks, and those that lie to themselves. I think Get your boots on can be scientifically poven to be shit.

I'm certainly not trollling or anything, I love U2, but am finding it hard to hide the dissapointment I feel right now. I remain optimistic about the rest of the album though, it can't be any worse.

I was semi-paying attention to your posts, because I believe in balance and such.....and it's interesting to read why people dislike something I like....but then I read this post, and realized that your thoughts can now be dismissed.

If you dislike the song, that's fine, but, don't pretend like your opinion is correct and everyone else's can be seen as incorrect, via intelligent means or even means as absurd as you list above (Even A Wanderer would piss on this post). To suggest that I'm lying to myself while you of course can discern the truth of whether music is good or bad is asinine. And insulting.

I am so shocked on how completely divided everyone is on GOYB! Has any other tune provoked such frenzy? :hmm:

Maybe they should have called the track Marmite - Love it or Hate it :lol:

To me, this sounds like a mish-mash of a lot of different drum bits, melodies and guitar parts that don't really hold up on their own, all layered. The hip-hop part is different for U2, but it's been done...What does 'Let me in the sound' mean?

Love Edge's vocals, though. He told me I'm beautiful! :cute:
For once, I think Bono's the one working hardest here. Great lyrics - politics with a Discotheque sort of treatment.

I am so shocked on how completely divided everyone is on GOYB! Has any other tune provoked such frenzy? :hmm:

Maybe they should have called the track Marmite - Love it or Hate it :lol:

i wish blue crack had been around when "The Fly" came out. i just wonder how the fan base would have been divided. actually, there probably would have been e-rioting, lol!

I was semi-paying attention to your posts, because I believe in balance and such.....and it's interesting to read why people dislike something I like....but then I read this post, and realized that your thoughts can now be dismissed.

If you dislike the song, that's fine, but, don't pretend like your opinion is correct and everyone else's can be seen as incorrect, via intelligent means or even means as absurd as you list above (Even A Wanderer would piss on this post). To suggest that I'm lying to myself while you of course can discern the truth of whether music is good or bad is asinine. And insulting.
:up:

bono should have sang something like

blah blah blah....how can I put on my sexy boots when I'm on my knees?? blah blah

thats funny cause i thought for a second the 1st time i heard it he was singing "let me in the soul let me in the soul...." an i almost :yuck:

does anyone else think the song would be MUCH better if it just left out every line having to do with boots?

lovely to see that the excitement has continued whilst half the world was sleeping . . . :cute: . . . its a lovely thing waking up and being able to listen with fresh ears, after the initial delerium has worn off :)

I think Bono's voice sounds fantasic . . . that 'you don't know' bizzo is gorgeous . . . I love the urgency and the lushness of it all :dance:

I was expecting him to put more strain on his voice on the verses. I'm sure this will be better live. We'll get to see/ hear it soon no? Brits are coming up.

I agree it may improve quite a bit live.

After repeated listens, I will say at least that Adam is on fire! Pop Adam seems to have returned. Cant wait to hear the bass lines on the new album.

OK OK here is my opinion the one that REALLY counts on Interference

On first listen i was like WTF? 5 years and this is all you could do?

Then i thought hmmmm not bad - reminds me of some elvis costello track

Now after about 6 listens i think its a good song. Catchy. But the worst comeback song i can remember (so thats from pop onwards)

the new album could be POP Mark II which is no bad thing

Should sounf good live - but if that is the best song on the album then we could be in trouble

I was trying to convey my dislike of the song in this post through irony. Obviously no one has a correct opinion, and there are those that will genuinely like the song. Scientifically proving a song is bad???? comeon I'm joking.........lighten up and put on some sexy boots.

It has that urgency found in Vertigo and Fast Cars. I definetly feel it.

Specifically the part in Fast Cars that goes. .

Don't you worry 'bout your mind

and the Part in GOYB that goes. . .

you don’t know how beautiful
you don’t know how beautiful you are
you don’t know how beautiful
you don’t know get it to you
you don’t know get it to you
you don’t know how beautiful you are

Who put kangaroo piss in your Fosters?

Scientifically proving a song is bad???? comeon I'm joking.........lighten up and put on some sexy boots.

There are those that acknowledge it sucks, and those that lie to themselves. I think Get your boots on can be scientifically poven to be shit.

Make up your mind.

And......scene.

its a grower by the time the album is out we will have listened to it 100 + times and think its great and then think its average in comparison the rest of the LP

I hope anyways at least

anyone on here have the technical expertise to do an edit of this song and remove all the vocals that have the word "boots"?

i'm starting to think that would be an EXCELLENT song. right now it just annoys me, because so much of why i love u2 is the all-world lyricism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom