You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion Thread #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That video at least told me how to say Kygo name. Like Gyro I already forget how to say it right.

Seriously who the f$@k is Kygo and how is this dorky dance mix better than the single or sci fi mix? Save it for some Ibiza nightclub at 4 am

I enjoy(ed) the Kygo mix. It does omit Edge's verse but emphasizes the groove.

The best one ? Sci-fi. Groove+has Edge's verse.

But U2 insisted on making a pop song when they had a good dance number on their hands.

Just listened to the kygo and single mix back to back,in my opinion the single mix blows it out the water. In fact edge's part is better than the whole remix!

Just listened to the kygo and single mix back to back,in my opinion the single mix blows it out the water. In fact edge's part is better than the whole remix!

Edge's part and the transition from that into the final chorus is indeed the best thing about me this song. Still like the Kygo remix better than the single version (sci-fi remains supreme).

So overall is/will this song making much traction on the music scene? e.g. charts, radio play etc. Or is it still way too early to tell.

So overall is/will this song making much traction on the music scene? e.g. charts, radio play etc. Or is it still way too early to tell.

Went in at number 92 in the uk and it won't go any higher. Heard it on the radio once. Think there's only me in my circle that knows u2 have a new track out. Me and my wife anyway :)

Hmmmmm.

So do pop songs these days get more popular with age?

From non-teen sensations...yes (if they are good).

Beautiful Day didn't chart for nearly a month after it hit radio. When it did, it was in the high 80s...then after months it made its way to the 20s.

the reason it didn't chart for a month after it hit radio was because the singles weren't released until it had been on radio for a month.

it wasn't a slow buring success - as soon it was on radio it was always on. as soon as the video was out it was always on.

it's rare for a song to be released, ignored, and then become a hit, and when that happens there has to be buzz, and there is no buzz around the Best Thing. It may as well not exist as far as the charts are concerned.

the reason it didn't chart for a month after it hit radio was because the singles weren't released until it had been on radio for a month.

it wasn't a slow buring success - as soon it was on radio it was always on. as soon as the video was out it was always on.

it's rare for a song to be released, ignored, and then become a hit, and when that happens there has to be buzz, and there is no buzz around the Best Thing. It may as well not exist as far as the charts are concerned.

Lady Gaga's "Just Dance" was released in April 2008 and reached #1 on the chart in January 2009.

No, I'm not saying Best Thing is going to be some wild chart success, but unless you're a huge Pop Chart Brand like Taylor Swift, Ed Sheehran etc., then yes, it takes time. Gaga was not among that crowd at the time.

If anyone thinks best thing is gonna be a big hit for u2 then your kidding yourselves.

People outside the fans don't care about new U2 music. Sad but that's a fact. They had a great run!

I've gone past caring how well it does now I loved soi and I've enjoyed the 3 songs we've heard off soe. That's good enough for me

But didn't Taylor Swift song bomb too? It didn't seem to go over too well. Heard it once and it was awful but I never listen to mainstream or top 40.

In other news I heard the Killers song The Man this morning and just thought wtf!? And U2 is being accused of crafting an empty pop tune? The Best Thing is like avant garde next to that Killers song. Every single line in that song is a cliche to end all cliches but maybe I am not smart enough to catch the irony or the point of it.

Went in at number 92 in the uk and it won't go any higher. Heard it on the radio once. Think there's only me in my circle that knows u2 have a new track out. Me and my wife anyway :)
It was song of the week last week on Radio 2 - so I heard it a few times a day. Not sure about this week though.

It was song of the week last week on Radio 2 - so I heard it a few times a day. Not sure about this week though.
It's still on their A list...

BBC - Radio 2 - Playlist

Not sure if this will translate into more sales though - although the single was released on Wednesday and the charts update on a Friday... not sure why they did that... only 2 days of sales included.

it wasn't a slow buring success - as soon it was on radio it was always on. as soon as the video was out it was always on. /QUOTE]

Beautiful Day was the very definition of a slow burn success. It was release on 8/30 to radio, charted a month later at ~88 and then very slowly climbed up the charts and hit the mid-20s in December (4 months later) and then fell only to peak again at #21 on January 21st of the following year(Lilly due to the Grammy awards). It peaked 5 months after it was released.

As far as airplay, it may have been on all of your local stations non-stop right away but that was not the case for the country as a whole.

I wouldn't call 400 million YouTube views in 3 weeks a bomb exactly.

Katy Perrys "swish swish" video had a 149 million views in 3 weeks and bombed on the charts and her album also bombed. If you hear the song and watch the video....you will know why.

She is an example of a huge star at the moment who can release any video and it will get 100 million plus views but it still be considered a failure as a song....it's odd times.

If anyone thinks best thing is gonna be a big hit for u2 then your kidding yourselves.

People outside the fans don't care about new U2 music. Sad but that's a fact. They had a great run!

I've gone past caring how well it does now I loved soi and I've enjoyed the 3 songs we've heard off soe. That's good enough for me

I agree with you and it might fail to be a hit because it's a bad song or U2 are old or no one cares about love anymore or but to say it failed because it's been out for a week and a half and hasn't hit the singles charts yet is not accurate.

If radio play starts to decrease consistently, then 100% it's dead but that isn't the case...yet.

Last edited:
It's still on their A list...

BBC - Radio 2 - Playlist

Not sure if this will translate into more sales though - although the single was released on Wednesday and the charts update on a Friday... not sure why they did that... only 2 days of sales included.

The two days sales didn't put the song in the top 100. The first full week gave it a 92 position. The song is now 145 on iTunes. All last week it didn't come out the top 50. The song will be out of the top 100 this week for sure.

Oh well the worst that can happen is The Edge gives all of SOE to Kygo to remix and scraps plans to release the original version. :doh::ohmy:

But didn't Taylor Swift song bomb too? It didn't seem to go over too well. Heard it once and it was awful but I never listen to mainstream or top 40.

In other news I heard the Killers song The Man this morning and just thought wtf!? And U2 is being accused of crafting an empty pop tune? The Best Thing is like avant garde next to that Killers song. Every single line in that song is a cliche to end all cliches but maybe I am not smart enough to catch the irony or the point of it.

Pretty sure The Man is satirical - about as sincere as The Playboy Mansion. May not make it like you more, but I don't think it's just Brandon Flowers being a self-obsessed idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom