You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Instead, they got in producers to water it down and produce extremely dull 'rawk' music (see that risible middle three tunes); this mindset was best epitomised by Breathe and it's a crying shame to hear that Brian Eno's ethereal version was neglected while the band re-recorded it in a desperate attempt to produce a rock anthem.

Wait, is there an Eno version of Breathe floating around somewhere? Or are you going on what was said?

Incidentally, I remember when NLOTH came out, Eno was very vocal about how, in his opinion, Breathe was the best song U2 had ever written.

How has this thread not been ended yet? Is this a record for "most posts over 1,000 before a mod notices"? [emoji38]

Can you spoiler button where it is in the setlist? I'm watching a marathon of Narcos and want to time when to pause that and tune in on periscope lol.

The person who posted the news hasn't said where the song will be played. :huh: But my guess would be somewhere in the middle of the encore.

Lanois is just as abstract and ambient as Eno, if not more so at this point. Eno is also all about "songs." That's why people he works with usually make their best songs & albums when he's there. He is a brilliant songwriter.

Eno crafts songs and will always look for new sounds...Lanois is more of true song writer. And Lanois plays to the 'strength' of bands, whereas Eno draws them out of their comfort zones. That's why, together they are important to U2.

It's my thinking U2 has outgrown them (in their thinking) and wants to chase new rainbows...:yes:...and to each his own. Each new chapter of U2 is exciting and excruciating in its own way to U2 fans of all persuasions.

I have a playlist on my car that I call Songs of Experience, which is, as you might have guessed by the name, the three songs that are assumed to be on the album.

My biggest fear is that we might get something like NLOTH, in terms of cohesion. For its forgettableness, Songs of Innocence at least is a package, and a story. It flows, and flows well. Little Things sounds nothing like the Blackout which sounds nothing like YTBTAM. And they're pretty radically different from each other, unlike the songs from NLOTH, which were just different enough to be jarring.

That doesn’t sound better than the studio version imo.....

That transition from the first verse to the chorus when Edge starts singing is like nails down a blackboard.... sounds all flat, his and Bono’s vocal harmony does not work at all.

I do like the first verse though. Just wish Edge wouldn’t sing in the chorus. Ruins it.

I would rather hear a live take of song for someone... At least from a vocal point of view... not instrumentation.

Last edited:
Eno crafts songs and will always look for new sounds...Lanois is more of true song writer. And Lanois plays to the 'strength' of bands, whereas Eno draws them out of their comfort zones. That's why, together they are important to U2.

It's my thinking U2 has outgrown them (in their thinking) and wants to chase new rainbows...:yes:...and to each his own. Each new chapter of U2 is exciting and excruciating in its own way to U2 fans of all persuasions.

I still think these guys unlock the best in U2.

I still think these guys unlock the best in U2.

I agree. I mean, just look at a band like Coldplay. They've been making nothing but garbage for the last 7+ years; then suddenly, a Eno-produced track: ., and it's the best they've done in over a decade.

I want them back. Some might consider it a "safe choice" (I heard that sentiment a lot in reviews I read of NLOTH, for example), but IMO no U2/Eno/Lanois album have sounded the same (though they do share a few common threads), and all of them have been great. It's also been long enough, almost a decade since they made songs together.

With that said I've liked all the songs we've heard from SOE so far, I'm genuinely excited for it. But all my favourite U2 albums have been produced by Eno and Lanois, so fair to say I miss them.

I agree. I mean, just look at a band like Coldplay. They've been making nothing but garbage for the last 7+ years; then suddenly, a Eno-produced track:

This track sounds like garbage to me tbh.

Last edited:
Don't forget, Eno/Lanois were full and complete collaborators on NLOTH, to the point of receiving writing credits. Obviously they could've (or should've) been considered co-writers in the past, though however things were "officially" different during the NLOTH sessions, it didn't seem like it panned out in a way that satisfied everyone. I'm not sure if any bridges were burned personally or what, or if Eno/Lanois would accept being "only" producers if they worked with U2 again.

I agree. I mean, just look at a band like Coldplay. They've been making nothing but garbage for the last 7+ years; then suddenly, a Eno-produced track: ., and it's the best they've done in over a decade.

I want them back. Some might consider it a "safe choice" (I heard that sentiment a lot in reviews I read of NLOTH, for example), but IMO no U2/Eno/Lanois album have sounded the same (though they do share a few common threads), and all of them have been great. It's also been long enough, almost a decade since they made songs together.

With that said I've liked all the songs we've heard from SOE so far, I'm genuinely excited for it. But all my favourite U2 albums have been produced by Eno and Lanois, so fair to say I miss them.

i love that :up: although i like some of Coldplay's recent output too

i think Eno and Lanois are great producers but their own work as musicians has never clicked with me, doesn't move me

Don't forget, Eno/Lanois were full and complete collaborators on NLOTH, to the point of receiving writing credits. Obviously they could've (or should've) been considered co-writers in the past, though however things were "officially" different during the NLOTH sessions, it didn't seem like it panned out in a way that satisfied everyone. I'm not sure if any bridges were burned personally or what, or if Eno/Lanois would accept being "only" producers if they worked with U2 again.

They were part of the band..... And I think U2 were better for it. But yeah not sure they would work with them again I’m afraid.

That doesn’t sound better than the studio version imo.....

That transition from the first verse to the chorus when Edge starts singing is like nails down a blackboard.... sounds all flat, his and Bono’s vocal harmony does not work at all.

I do like the first verse though. Just wish Edge wouldn’t sing in the chorus. Ruins it.

I would rather hear a live take of song for someone... At least from a vocal point of view... not instrumentation.

It is the edges singing that ruins it for me aswell. Same on the tv show. Seems to be singing a lot less on this performance though and all he seems to sing towards the end is"best" .the ending of the song is very good.

Hopefully next time they perform it edge will only sing best in the chorus or nothing at all

U2 are at their best when they toe the line between etherial/experimental and pop/rock. When they to too far in either direction, they're still quite good, but they aren't magical.

Best Thing is a good song. It's not magical. Little Things i believe has a chance to capture that magic that made U2 so great, but we'll have to see what the studio version sounds like.

I really hope Best Things is the only song Tedder was involved with.

I have a lot of hope for this album, but the one thing that I'm concerned about is Tedder's influence; that they ruin otherwise great songs with too many pop hooks in the name of "hitz"

I have a lot of hope for this album, but the one thing that I'm concerned about is Tedder's influence; that they ruin otherwise great songs with too many pop hooks in the name of "hitz"

Came across this Joshua Tree era interview w/Daniel Lanois, and I found this bit interesting, given U2's seeming approach towards song writing these days.

Was there a specific desire on the band's part to have a hit single on (The Joshua Tree)?

Well, we knew we needed at least one. But I don't think the plan was to get hit singles. You can't go into a record with that sort of mentality. It will just kill you. All you can do is go in with strong songs, do them the best you can, and then, on the back end, look and see what you've got.

Last edited:
Came across this Joshua Tree era interview w/Daniel Lanois, and I found this bit interesting, given U2's seeming approach towards song writing these days.
I mean, it's all relative.

Springsteen went into the recording of Born To Run knowing that he had to have a commercial hit or he'd likely be dropped form his label, and he was notorious for overcooking songs. He spent 6 months on the title track alone.

But the results were genius.

Pride, as much as it gets hated on here, was done and inculded on UF to try and capture a broader audience.

My issue with the band aiming for hits isn't a knock on wanting to have hits in general. It's a knock on wanting to have hits this late in your career that you water down your product with a flavor of the month guy like Ryan fucking Tedder, who will be forgotten in 10 years time. It's a heart beat away from having Diane Warren write a song for you.

It is the edges singing that ruins it for me aswell. Same on the tv show. Seems to be singing a lot less on this performance though and all he seems to sing towards the end is"best" .the ending of the song is very good.

Hopefully next time they perform it edge will only sing best in the chorus or nothing at all
Needs a wahwahwandering snippet

I mean, it's all relative.

Springsteen went into the recording of Born To Run knowing that he had to have a commercial hit or he'd likely be dropped form his label, and he was notorious for overcooking songs. He spent 6 months on the title track alone.

But the results were genius.

Pride, as much as it gets hated on here, was done and inculded on UF to try and capture a broader audience.

My issue with the band aiming for hits isn't a knock on wanting to have hits in general. It's a knock on wanting to have hits this late in your career that you water down your product with a flavor of the month guy like Ryan fucking Tedder, who will be forgotten in 10 years time. It's a heart beat away from having Diane Warren write a song for you.

All this bashing of Ryan Tedder, calling him a flavor of the month who will be forgotten in 10 years.... makes absolutely no sense to me.

He's co-written 3 of the top selling singles ever: "Apologize" (OneRepublic), "Halo" (Beyonce), and "Bleeding Love" (Leona Lewis). He's also co-written "Rumour Has It" (Adele).

Bono has called him a master of melody - which I think his resume will prove he is.

Hate on his production or his performance style all you want. Hell, hate on the style of his songs. But don't try to tell me he will be forgotten in 10 years. You might as well tell me Max Martin will be never be remembered.

All this bashing of Ryan Tedder, calling him a flavor of the month who will be forgotten in 10 years.... makes absolutely no sense to me.

He's co-written 3 of the top selling singles ever: "Apologize" (OneRepublic), "Halo" (Beyonce), and "Bleeding Love" (Leona Lewis). He's also co-written "Rumour Has It" (Adele).

Bono has called him a master of melody - which I think his resume will prove he is.

Hate on his production or his performance style all you want. Hell, hate on the style of his songs. But don't try to tell me he will be forgotten in 10 years. You might as well tell me Max Martin will be never be remembered.
Hey, look at all those swell rock bands you mentioned that he wrote songs for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom