You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion - Page 70 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2017, 09:40 AM   #1381
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:15 PM

Old 09-11-2017, 09:44 AM   #1382
Refugee

Comparing Ryan Tedder to Max Martin is fucking isane - Martin has 20 years of hitmaking behind him while Tedder has, what five years and nothing close to Martin's level of success (or quality). Tedder fucking sucks as a producer and songwriter, and his band is awful. It's pathetic that U2 choose to work with him. They can work with whoever they want and choose him.

Jacknife Lee fucking blows too, while we're at it, and so does Lillywhite now. Unless they're going to re-create the War sound they should end their professional relationship with Lillywhite.

Quote:
For example, would you tell Bono that a certain lyric isn't working?In the case of Bono, I'll get fairly involved. He generally writes more lyrics than he needs, so he'll have an idea of what he wants to do with a song, and he'll walk in with half a dozen pages of verses. So the thing that is helpful is if you can say, "Well, you've got this idea and that idea. Maybe you've got two separate songs here. Therefore, let's put that over here and concentrate on this idea and focus on making this bit of it work."
He needs somebody like that. Edge has been helpful, and Adam [Clayton] occasionally steps in and offers suggestions. If those people aren't around, I take that role, or Brian [Eno] will.
Fuck, I'd rather Bono work have great artists and very smart men help him with lyrics instead of Ryan Tedder, who I will just assume is...not on the same level, intellectually and artistically, as Bono.

I'm really happy that, in the early days, U2 chose to work with Lillywhite and Eno instead of whoever the hitmaker was. Before they settled on Eno in 84 they wanted to work with Colin Newman from Wire and Conny Plank, the great Krautrock producer and sonic genius. That illustrates how their motivation has changed more than anything else.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:46 AM   #1383
Refugee

If they wanted a more live sound then Paul Epworth would have been a good choice. The new Thurston Moore record sounds great. But Lillywhite....ffs!
Old 09-11-2017, 09:48 AM   #1384
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Hey, look at all those swell rock bands you mentioned that he wrote songs for.
I thought U2 was supposed to be an ambient/atmospheric/artsy/avant-garde band instead?
Old 09-11-2017, 09:51 AM   #1385
The Fly

Local Time: 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhill View Post
I don't think so.

Do you have a source for this or are you speculating?
I remember reading/hearing this as well. Pride was specifically conceived the be the "hit single" for UF.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:02 AM   #1386
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:15 PM
Fuck it, let's just start a new thread:

http://www.u2interference.com/forums...-a-221536.html
Old 09-11-2017, 10:08 AM   #1387
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevgreg View Post
I thought U2 was supposed to be an ambient/atmospheric/artsy/avant-garde band instead?
My point is that what U2 are NOT supposed to be is Beyonce, OneRepublic or Adele.

Not that there's anything wrong with Beyonce or Adele... there's a place for them, and they are both brilliant artists... but that's not where U2 should be.

And I'm not one of the "omg u2 need to expermient again, everything post Pop is rubbish" guys. I love atyclb and bomb, and have a strong liking of select tracks from the other two albums as well. Passengers Part 2 would annoy me just as much as trying to be like OneRepublic does.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:10 AM   #1388
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melon50 View Post
I remember reading/hearing this as well. Pride was specifically conceived the be the "hit single" for UF.
My recollection is that Eno couldn't stand the song and wanted to trash it because it was radio friendly garbage, while Lanois kept it around because he knew it could be huge.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:11 AM   #1389
Y2K
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Island View Post
Comparing Ryan Tedder to Max Martin is fucking isane - Martin has 20 years of hitmaking behind him while Tedder has, what five years and nothing close to Martin's level of success (or quality).
Five years? Its' definitely more than 10...
Old 09-11-2017, 10:30 AM   #1390
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melon50 View Post
Hmmmmm. I vaguely recall hearing this as well....I might have seen it in a video on the making of the record.

But I'm not sure if it was conceived as a hit single, or if the band simply recognised its potential to be.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:20 AM   #1391
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post
Hmmmmm. I vaguely recall hearing this as well....I might have seen it in a video on the making of the record.

But I'm not sure if it was conceived as a hit single, or if the band simply recognised its potential to be.
You're recollection is correct...I don't think Eno 'hated' it...(that's referring to WTSHNN)...but I'm not sure it was his favorite song on UF.

Whatever, they made a great song and saw the potential for a hit single...
Old 09-11-2017, 11:48 AM   #1392
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by akann View Post
This track sounds like garbage to me tbh.
I agree,just boring.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:55 PM   #1393
War Child

TBT is not a bad song. Pretty catchy in fact.

But it's pretty amazing that the band went around for a year blaming the album delay on Trump, and this is what they give us. FFS, the song is from Page 1 of the contemporary U2 playbook. Not a whole lot different than the other recent attempts at pop (EBW, Crazy Tonight) and it even has the cheesy lyrical boxes checked off, just like those songs (with self deprecation, Bono's signature cringe point, included).

Maybe the rest of the album will deliver the punch that they have implicitly promised since their little world was shaken by Hillary's ignominious defeat, Brexit etc. But this song is just... not it.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:05 PM   #1394
Rock n' Roll Doggie

You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy Fizz View Post

But it's pretty amazing that the band went around for a year blaming the album delay on Trump, and this is what they give us.

Maybe the rest of the album will deliver the punch that they have implicitly promised since their little world was shaken by Hillary's ignominious defeat, Brexit etc. But this song is just... not it.

What jumps out at me is I thought "Trump" delayed the album too but he was elected on 11/7(or there about) and You're the Best Thing was set to be released on 9/23....so they made the decision well before Trump was elected/Hillary lost(at least 2 months prior).

Perhaps Brexit was the main driver? Also, the plan was to release YTBT and then the world change and was a different place, so they waited a year and released....YTBT?

What am I missing here?

I don't think it was Trump. It could have been Brexit as that was in late June but while that was a shock was it world changing enough to make them look at the album and question if it's right to release? Maybe I guess but I think Trump was more of a convenient reason than The June Brexit vote.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:10 PM   #1395
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Thee Dog View Post
You're recollection is correct...I don't think Eno 'hated' it...(that's referring to WTSHNN)...but I'm not sure it was his favorite song on UF.

Whatever, they made a great song and saw the potential for a hit single...
I don't recall ever reading that Eno hated Streets, either. He just thought the band was wasting too much time on it, and the best way to move forward was to just erase it.

Anywho... Why is this thread still open.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:11 PM   #1396
Y2K
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoKramer View Post
What jumps out at me is I thought "Trump" delayed the album too but he was elected on 11/7(or there about) and You're the Best Thing was set to be released on 9/23....so they made the decision well before Trump was elected/Hillary lost(at least 2 months prior).

Perhaps Brexit was the main driver? Also, the plan was to release YTBT and then the world change and was a different place, so they waited a year and released....YTBT?

What am I missing here?

I don't think it was Trump. It could have been Brexit as that was in late June but while that was a shock was it world changing enough to make them look at the album and question if it's right to release? Maybe I guess but I think Trump was more of a convenient reason than The June Brexit vote.
If you listen back to the Edge's radio interview with the Edge in Toronto, he says the album was planned to be released in Q4 2016. According to U2 songs, "The Best Thing" was gonna be released on Sept 23, 2016 and the album on Oct 31, 2016. However, according to that radio interview with the Edge, they noticed a shift in global politics to the right and decided the tone of the album wasn't right for the times. So, yes, Trump hadn't been elected yet by the time they decided to postpone last year, but the tenor of politics was shifting that way, particularly with Brexit.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:14 PM   #1397
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoKramer View Post

What am I missing here?

Where is the 9/23 date coming from?
Old 09-11-2017, 04:37 PM   #1398
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Where is the 9/23 date coming from?
See the post above...follow the U2songs.com link...
Old 09-11-2017, 05:05 PM   #1399
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Thee Dog View Post
See the post above...follow the U2songs.com link...

Yeah, I think we were posting at the same time

Thank you

Tags
2017, single, songs of experience, the best thing, u2