You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
By far the worst first single for a U2 record ever. Not even close.

Just stunning how completely un-engaging and "unsingle" like this song is. Seriously, what are they thinking? Blackout, which isn't great, is a much better song, and certainly better choice for a single, than this. Wow. I almost want to say it's meant as a joke? This sounds like a b-side. Bonus track on the Japanese CD.

I haven't even read the comments in this thread...do people really like this song?

So, to clarify, is it fair to say that you're not on board?

I tell you all what, I think we would have nowhere near the same division about this song if they had a small intro, and the second pre chorus from the sci fi version was the pre chorus in the single version.

I don't want to say it's a bad song. U2 really doesn't make many "bad" songs. But to me, for a single, it has pretty much no hook, the production is a mess, and the whole presentation is completely uninteresting. .

The mix is chopped up & clunky ("the BEST thing about me" after the first chorus :doh:) but it's got mass appeal, it's catchy, infectious, and leaves you wanting more. That's basically lead single 101. It's worlds better than GOYB and much catchier than Miracle.

And like most U2 songs (for me anyway), it gets much, much better on repeat listens. Really digging it & excited to see what they do with it live tomorrow on Fallon :up:

I think our opinions of this song would be much better if we hadn't heard two different versions over a year ago.

I didn't like it until I heard the SciFi mix or whatever it's called.
The version on iTunes sounds so flat!

LOL. Was at work when the song appeared on Spotify, but didn't want to listen to it there (since I hate my job ;) ). But I read all the posts on forums appearing as it was released and was really disappointed before I even heard the song. I thought it was crap from all comments here and atu2. Came home and put it on loudly on my headphones, and hated it by default. It took two minutes before I was sitting there and smiling. I love the song. Some of those who are saying it is U2 trying to make a simple pop song are contradicting themselves, because they are at the same time saying there are layers here that do not fit in. It is in fact a bit more complex, and the more I listen the more I understand the song. Takes time.

This!!

I was doing hurricane prep this morning so I missed the debut at 8am. So at 8:30 I came here and read nearly every post taking a giant diarrhea shit all over it. I was SO pissed that the song sucked and was dreading pressing the play button on YouTube to give it my first listen.
Then I listened to it, on my crappy phone speakers no less, and I really liked it! Yes the first chorus to verse thing is a little off, but the rest feels easy and free to me. I think it has a nice flow even if that flow is changing to and fro a bit. That bouncy strum is still there, delicate, building guitar break, and perfectly poppy last bridge. Ending is a little abrupt, but not bad.

Still singing it in my head, still think it's a 7 after a dozen listens. I actually think it grows, like the Blackout did for many.

P.s. I can't believe I have to read media music reviews and YouTube comments to get a more sane and reasoned review of this song than here with the fans. Jesus.

I love the verses... Chorus sounds like a completely different song. The solo is still my favourite part, makes me smile. Wish Edge's vocal bridge was louder and less processed, hard to make out what he's singing.

As someone said what type of world do we live in when even the NME gives it a good review [emoji23][emoji23]

I can't stop listening to it... I think I want it to be something else, but maybe I'm wrong...

You're the best song
About Me
You're the best song
About Me
It's the kind of song that I enjoy

I don't want to say it's a bad song. U2 really doesn't make many "bad" songs. But to me, for a single, it has pretty much no hook, the production is a mess, and the whole presentation is completely uninteresting.

No one here can seriously tell me that this isn't the kind of thing that, on previous U2 records, wouldn't end up as a bonus track.

Pretty baffled that anyone could say this song has no hook!?!?

I'm actually humming it in my head as I type this, not even consciously thinking about it. And I have stop and really think about how The Blackout goes.
I like the Blackout a little better, but this song has a true pop hook.

Pretty baffled that anyone could say this song has no hook!?!?

I'm actually humming it in my head as I type this, not even consciously thinking about it. And I have stop and really think about how The Blackout goes.

I like the Blackout a little better, but this song has a true pop hook.

Totally agree

It's a good pop song. It should have been released in the early summer, but it is what it is.

That isn't my type of music. I doubt I will listen to it a lot. But as a stand out single from an album in 2017, I think it works exactly as intended. And, yeah...it sounds like new U2. Because it is. And it sounds like a bouncy pop tune. Because it is.

I doubt I will be looking for it to listen to, but it is pleasant enough and does what I think it intends to do, which is earworm the listener and make the foot tap/head nod.

By far the worst first single for a U2 record ever. Not even close.

Just stunning how completely un-engaging and "unsingle" like this song is. Seriously, what are they thinking? Blackout, which isn't great, is a much better song, and certainly better choice for a single, than this. Wow. I almost want to say it's meant as a joke? This sounds like a b-side. Bonus track on the Japanese CD.

I haven't even read the comments in this thread...do people really like this song?

You know, I started typing a post in disagreement, but I guess I can't name a lead single that I like less with much certainty. Maybe Numb? But Numb was a... special circumstance of a song. I guess Fire?

Doesn't make TBT a bad song - it's not, and I'm happy to have it - but it's also relatively bland by U2 standards.

The song has a hook, as most post 2004 U2 songs do. U2 have been making an album of singles since ATYCLB, at least until the 2nd half of that album where they went back to their darker/gloomy side

From HTDAAB and on, every song has been produced as a single. It's their fascination with The Beatles that has produced this Titanium Soul!!! They aren't really into creating landscapes anymore, they are all about songs. They've said it, and it's foolish to think they'll go back to making a JT or AB style album (where the songs are there, but they fit a narrative and are hidden under studio magic / Edge imagination)

Again my issues with this song is the lack of Edge. Adam and Larry bring it. Bono is singing great (though he's become THE focal point of U2 songs since HTDAAB). But Edge just kind of stays in the shadows. This is such a bouncy song, and from what I heard in the beach clip and Kygo mixes, it sounded like he had some fun chords to playing throughout the song. They decided to go the California route and drown him out with synth

And if this is the mix that was made last minute, you can tell as it does sound pieced together. Suppose that's what you get when you make an engineer stay up all night trying to rework it to the bands liking.

It would not shock me if the album cut is different.

The song is stuck in my head. It's great that so far the professional reviews are positive. Though I am shocked that there hasn't been a "U2 puts out a feel good song in these times???? Where is our Sunday Bloody Sunday Part 2??? Where is the white flag waving Bono to save us???"

Luckily none of that. Be curious to see how this song charts. I do think it's a good sign that Interference hates it, so that means the public will love it haha

would have been a decent B side on Atomic Bomb. Can't believe this qualifies as a lead single off of a new album these days.

Well, I've stayed silent until now. I agree that this song suffered "U2 syndrome" - sitting on it for months, only to second-guess and tinker days before it's released to the world. I also agree that hearing beach clips and the Kygo remix more than a year before they actually released it didn't help my initial reaction to this final mix. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Bono recently re-recorded some of the vocals, because it's not his best effort.

However, 5+ listens can make a difference - it's a good, straightforward lead single. Far from being their best single, but it does the trick. I'm also optimistic that this will be one of the "worst" songs on the album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom