your very First U2 Song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beautiful Day at the Superbowl and then MLK then Where the Streets Have No Name. MLK gave me shivers up my spine.

I used not to like U2, but my sister was already a fan of the band, so I had to hear them cd's all the time...

My first love-impact was many years ago when a music television (not MTV) was airing a U2-special with the main and most known videos. I just fell in love with "Stay". Since that I started listening my sister's albums and started to search material of the band, and the rest is history....:wink:

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, from the Rattle & Hum vid...our next door neighbour gave it to my sis...and then I fell in love with Adam! But they were on the Popmart tour by this point, so after that Rattle n Hum phase it was Pop!!!!

Last edited:
Beautiful Day! wooooooo

EDIT: But the first song I ever remember liking from U2 was...

HMTMKMKM :eek:

I had bought the "Batman Forever" sdtk for the Seal song (ha ha ha), but as it turned out I ended up liking a total of 3 songs from the CD (the 2 said songs above as well as the track by The Offspring). I had no idea U2 crafted that lovely rock number until YEARS later (after I became a fan with ATYCLB) :ohmy:

Last edited:
I was in the army in 1983 in Germany, and this new guy who had just arrived in Germany was assigned to my room in the barracks. Within about 10 minutes after I met him he started raving on about this band called U2. He then played me the "War" album, and then "Boy" on my stereo. I was impressed, I liked what I heard. I will never forget him telling me that he thought U2 was going to be the greatest band that ever was. He must have told me that every day for the next few months before I left and returned to the states. I was not too sure about "The GREATEST BAND EVER thing, but I thought Sunday Bloody Sunday and New Years Day were pretty decent songs.

I didn't keep up on the band much for the next few years, but then one day I received in the mail Columbia House's "Pick of the Month" by that band that my friend in Germany had raved about. I put the LP on my turntable, cranked up the volume, sat back, listened ... and then was TOTALLY blown away by one of the best songs ever recorded...Where The Streets Have No Name. When the song was over, I got up and played it over, and then again, and again. After the 3rd or fourth listen to that first track, I let it play on, and well, of course with each succesive song I was hooked on this great band. I played the JT probably every day, several times a day, for what seemed like a year afterwards, and I remembered what my friend in Germany had predicted years earlier.

He was right.

Just saw my first U2 concert in Phoenix last Thursday, and I am still high from it!! :dancing:

Last edited:
The first song I associated with U2 that I really, really enjoyed was Beautiful Day. I heard U2 songs on the radio over the course of my life and, looking back, there were so many instances where it should have clicked but for some reason I never put the songs with the band. But I've been a huge fan since 2000 and there's no looking back!

-Miggy

I had heard probably a good 10-20 U2 songs obviously just in normal life. I had always been into HMKMKMTM especially all the way back in 95, but the thing that got me heavily in on it was the AIWIY->Streets segue at Slane...amazing.

With or without you! I first heard it when I saw the video back in 1988. The image of Bono in his tight black jeans and waistcoat singing this vibrant pulsating love song (of sorts!?) just hit my G spot(s)!!!
And still does!:combust:

Through the storm we reach the shore/You give it all but I want more/And I'm waiting for you:heart:

Last edited:
Way back in the old days I was watching MTV & New Years Day came on & that was it - I hungered & searched for everything U2 from then on!!
I was watching this with a friend of mine - I'm from Ireland & she's from England (well Yorkshire - if that even counts as part of a country) & she thought it was the funniest thing ever - made jokes about the 'long suffering Irish' There were Duran Duran on a sail boat in the sunshine with beautiful girls all over 'em in their video & where are the Irish? - bloody Siberia! Typical!! But I loved it!
:up:
What - you were expecting a short answer to this?!

My interest started when I first heard Gloria. Then, New Year's Day made them one of my favorites.

Pride and the video for The Unforgettable Fire thrust them to the top of my list, where they have stayed ever since.

Oddly enough, Sweetest Thing. This is when the first Best Of came out and a couple older kids in my neighborhood sang lines from that song a lot, probably because the video was on the tv all the time. This must have been in 98, so I was 10 years old then.

I bought the Best Of 1980-1990 with my own hard-earned (as if a 10 year old actually has hard-earned) and listened the the song I had heard so much about. Sure enough, after listening to the rest of the CD, I was a bonafied fan.

Going on 8 years then, so that's quite awhile for someone not even out of high school to like one thing. Normally tastes change from day to day.

I guess that's a testament to how fucking great this band is.

Zoo Station.
I'll never forget listening to that Achtung Baby cassette in 1992...

in 1987 i saw "with or without you" video on mtv. that was played alot with INXS...then i heard "who's gonna ride your wild horses" at the bowling alley in like '92.

tmciano said:
I was in the army in 1983 in Germany, and this new guy who had just arrived in Germany was assigned to my room in the barracks. Within about 10 minutes after I met him he started raving on about this band called U2. He then played me the "War" album, and then "Boy" on my stereo. I was impressed, I liked what I heard. I will never forget him telling me that he thought U2 was going to be the greatest band that ever was. He must have told me that every day for the next few months before I left and returned to the states. I was not too sure about "The GREATEST BAND EVER thing, but I thought Sunday Bloody Sunday and New Years Day were pretty decent songs.

I didn't keep up on the band much for the next few years, but then one day I received in the mail Columbia House's "Pick of the Month" by that band that my friend in Germany had raved about. I put the LP on my turntable, cranked up the volume, sat back, listened ... and then was TOTALLY blown away by one of the best songs ever recorded...Where The Streets Have No Name. When the song was over, I got up and played it over, and then again, and again. After the 3rd or fourth listen to that first track, I let it play on, and well, of course with each succesive song I was hooked on this great band. I played the JT probably every day, several times a day, for what seemed like a year afterwards, and I remembered what my friend in Germany had predicted years earlier.

He was right.

Just saw my first U2 concert in Phoenix last Thursday, and I am still high from it!! :dancing:

that's a great story, tmc!

And :applaud: :applaud: on your first u2 oncert!

The editor of New york Rocker mag flew over to Great Britian to hear the latest bands & went to see U2 in mid-late 1980.
He reported...."ambitious, connects with the audience and has anthemic songs...' ....if these guys can keep it together, I predict they could be playing stadiums someday.."

He was right, too!
I'm glad I took his advice to watch out for them [upcoming first US single] on the radio.......the rest has been an ongoing musical ' :love: affair' of about 24 1/2 years

Last edited:
noodle said:
Way back in the old days I was watching MTV & New Years Day came on & that was it - I hungered & searched for everything U2 from then on!!
I was watching this with a friend of mine - I'm from Ireland & she's from England (well Yorkshire - if that even counts as part of a country) & she thought it was the funniest thing ever - made jokes about the 'long suffering Irish' There were Duran Duran on a sail boat in the sunshine with beautiful girls all over 'em in their video & where are the Irish? - bloody Siberia! Typical!! But I loved it!
:up:
What - you were expecting a short answer to this?!

:laugh: "english band " vs "irish band" vids
:laugh: mine wasn't short either!

hard to say, had listened to War, TUF and JT alot when I was younger through my brother, the first album I got though was Boy and I really liked it, so I'd say I Will Follow.

OHHH!! I love this post1!!! haha so many differnts songs!!! 4 me it was where the streets have no name... it is sooooooooooooooooooo coooool!!!!! then i got stuck with the JT era, then with the whooole band!!!! :wink:

The first ones I was 'exposed' to [that i remembered when I listened to them again years later] were Numb and Daddy's Gonna Pay...my Dad had just bought Zooropa and I was around five and remember the drums from the latter right up until the point when I heard Zooropa (the whole album) for the first time after becoming a U2 fan around seven years later and thinking "Holy CRAP! This was THEM?!"

Technically my very first U2 song i heard was Mysterious Ways...In high school i took Art, and the teacher let us play music to inspire are creativity...so these girls always used to Play Mysterious ways over and over again..i really liked the song new all the words ..even saw the video...but i never payed attention to who was playing it.
So two years past and i forgot about it.
Then one day i saw the Video for Stay(Faraway so close)...saw Bono and it dawned on me that omg! thats the same guy from Mysterious ways...thats U2!?...and i was hooked..lol

Back
Top Bottom