Your U2 Song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Watching "U23D" and the reaction of the crowd on film reminded me that U2 isn't just any band with ordinary songs, this is a band that so many of us have taken into our hearts, our lives, our big and small moments. That got me thinking about all the personal connections we've made to U2 songs and why.

When my niece was born, I made her a mix CD and "Original of the Species" is on it. That song is now hers, I can't hear it without thinking of her. It's such a beautiful song and I think perfectly sums up my feelings for my niece and how I'm going to feel as she grows up.

So what's your U2 song? What moment was it for? Who do you share it with?

I have a few:

New Years Day-first U2 song I heard

Sometimes- I know what its like to have a relationship like that with your father

pretty much every single one of their songs has a memory attached to it

I have a mix CD too but the one track that stands out 2 me is Velvet Dress. If You Wear That Velvet Dress is a very personal song for me because it was the first time i had ever heard it (live mexico version). My girlfriend of 1 year that i really loved had broken up with me and it took me into a deep deppression and i couldn't stop listening to this song.

U2 has really changed my life emotional wise and everytime I hear a certain song, I think back too a good or bad time in my young life.

I Will Follow (Cause its the first U2 song I remember listening to as a kid)

I have alot, I guess everything on Achtung...

"One, Love is Blindness"

I have a habit of listening to "Running to Stand Still" before I go to sleep sometimes...

But I guess "I Will Follow" will always be "My Song" :)

The live Popmart version of "Please" is my favorite U2 song, but my "song," I suppose, would either be MOTD, LIB, or WUDM. Those three songs get me to a dark place, but they're very personal to me.

EdgeIsTooSexy said:
I have a few:

New Years Day-first U2 song I heard

Sometimes- I know what its like to have a relationship like that with your father

pretty much every single one of their songs has a memory attached to it

uhm, i thought new year's day b/c it was our song? ouch aids, ouch
*a*

One Tree Hill, but I think the whole bloody forum knew that already. :wink:

I'd known about U2 early on in their career and my life.....and War was the first album I ever anticipated buying before its release....but, when UF came out, and I heard A Sort of Homecoming, I went from fan to ardent fan. I'd never heard anything quite like that song, and to be honest, I have not since. First music I could call blissful to my ears.

It's a very special song to me, still.

:wink: I have always loved 'Gloria" since I first heard it. But since then I have added as 'my song', WOWOY and Pride. I used to listen to JT and RNH all the way thru and the music just became a part of my life, as so much of it is still today! 2 songs bring me right to 'A Moment'=Three Sunrises, first time I ever went to Ireland, and DTKIC from Live-Aid, 1985! and here's to More moments and songs to add to my life! "I'm Ready'!:wink:

achtunganton said:

uhm, i thought new year's day b/c it was our song? ouch aids, ouch
*a*

well i didnt think it was wise to expose our relationship on here. for your sake since you have a girlfriend.

But yes new years day is also special because thats when my lover anthony and i began talking

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

I have loved it since I first heard it. I knew this was not an ordinary song or band after listening it and the entire JT album.
The music moved my heart...it's that mix of the mysterious and spiritual that still speaks to me to this day...
It's timeless.

In recent years Walk On inspires me ALOT! It fits so many scenerios.

I could go on and on and on....

All of Zooropa is an album that will forever be linked to the early part of my relationship with my husband.

I'd like to say that my song it something from earlier U2 but it's not. It's 'Beautiful Day', specifically the bridge "Love, lift me up out of these blues..." This song helped lift me up out of some pretty major blues.

zuropa_fit said:
It's 'Beautiful Day', specifically the bridge "Love, lift me up out of these blues..." This song helped lift me up out of some pretty major blues.

Isn't that Elevation? :eyebrow:

City Of Blinding Lights - first U2 song I ever heard. and I can't listen to it without being transported back into a stadium full of screaming poeple in the dark.....*chills*

and Streets. (no explanation needed)

Gloria, just cause it has been unchallenged as my top top top favourite song of all time for the past 5 years. The video clip is compulsory daily viewing for me as well.

Just the King of all U2 songs for me, they'll never better that....

Zooropa, both the album and especially the song, was kind of the soundtrack to my first serious crush. Oh, how I loved that girl. Came to nothing, but I'm still nostalgic over that particular song.

I could go down the line and name off the different memories I have attached to U2's music, because there are dozens of them, but that one sticks out the most. I would say HTDAAB in general is arguably the most nostalgic U2 record for me. I've tied it to a very important period of my life, and I still love it. Crumbs and COBL still have a very powerful effect on me.

I go through phases of U2 songs that define my prolonged mood/what's going on in my life. I could title chapters of my autobiography with the U2 song I was listening to during that period. So the list would be long.

SBS is the song that hooked me to U2. Besides that I could list about 10 songs but they aren't all the songs in my top 10. Some of the strongest associations are So Cruel, Acrobat, Stay, A Sort of Homecoming.

It's funny, for 2 songs that were the soundtrack to this stupid thing I had last semseter for a guy who I know realize is a complete idiot/jackass and I just liked him as a rebound...well, I love those songs, but they're kind of tainted now with "what was I thinking?!?!?" (Electrical Storm and Unforgettable Fire)

Oh, and I listen to Bad when I have really bad insomnia (which is a lot): I wide awake...I'm not sleeping...

Last edited:
Varitek said:

Oh, and I listen to Bad when I have really bad insomnia (which is a lot): I wide awake...I'm not sleeping...

That reminds me, I once listened to Stay at 3 AM, and it fit in perfectly with the ending line because everything in the house was all quiet. Creepy stuff, but a really cool way to connect with the song.

Last edited:
11 O' Clock Tick Tock from UABRS and Twilight are my earliest memories on U2 music and therefore they are the most significant U2 songs for me

Beautiful Day. The first U2 song i consciously heard, and i can remember exactly where i was and what i was doing when i heard it.

It blows my mind hearing perhaps the two best renditions of the song from Auckland and realising i was there, yelling along.

I'll always be fond of Last Night On Earth since that was the first U2 song I ever heard back in the summer of 97. That was where my fascination began.

But the song that connects with me the deepest is Bad.

There are many, but the ultimate for me would also be Bad. It seems corny, but that song has always been "there" for me when I've needed it the most.

I also have a habit of listening to The Unforgettable Fire album when I can't sleep at night...

zuropa_fit said:
All of Zooropa is an album that will forever be linked to the early part of my relationship with my husband.

I'd like to say that my song it something from earlier U2 but it's not. It's 'Beautiful Day', specifically the bridge "Love, lift me up out of these blues..." This song helped lift me up out of some pretty major blues.

OKAY!!!!!!! I woke up at 4:30 realizing what I'd typed. God, I'm an idiot. Who gets "their song" wrong? I obviously realize it's Elevation. I'm going to crawl in a hole. (like a mole) :reject:

*refuses to show face in EYKIW ever again*

Back
Top Bottom