Your TOP 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tony

The Fly
The lamest topic.
I'm just curious.
No more than 5 of the best U2 songs.

Mine:

1-WTSHNN
2-BD
3-ONE
4-WOWY
5-BAD

Tony

FUK YOR AZZZZZZ..........

HOLD ME THRILL ME KISS ME KILL ME
DISCOTHEQUE
WHERE tHE STREETS HAVE NO NAME
WITH OR WITHOUT YOU
THE GROUND BENeATH HER FEET

time in boston now , 2 : 16 pm

Michael Griffiths said:
1. One
2. Where The Streets Have No Name
3. With or Without You
4. Bad
5. Running To Stand Still

Tied for 5th: Pride (In The Name of Love) - sorry, but it was so hard!

Not too keen on U2 in the '90s eh?;)

Whats The Story? said:

Not too keen on U2 in the '90s eh?;)
Oh no, actually, I LOVE 90s U2. It's just that if I had to choose the *best* U2 songs EVER, those would be them - and most of them just happen to be from the 80s - I think really in large part because The Joshua Tree is probably the best album ever recorded by anyone. It just so happens that The Joshua Tree was recorded in the 80s and thus monopolizes that decade!

But indirectly you do raise an interesting point: as much as U2's work in the 90s has really been so much more consistent than their 80s work, I feel that the "highs" of the 80s were much higher than that of the 90s, with the exception of 'One'. The 90s offered us a much more confident U2, but, for me, they didn't quite reach the same highs - didn't quite reach the same levels of ecstacy.

Hehe I was merely jesting:p However I do see your point, because its one I've considered before: That many of U2's very finest songs are from the 1980s, but the 1990s saw greater consistency and assuredness in u2's albums...Despite that, I think songs like The Fly and HMTMKMKM are U2's best work because they really pushed themselves and recorded songs that were so different to their typical '80s anthems. BTW what do you think now about the POP remixes? Gone I think is superior to the album version, but Disco (while a god remix) is not as good as the original. Staring At The Sun's new mix is on a par with the original in my opinion.

Wow....just 5 favourites. Not live, or album, but just 5.

I can't do it.
I can tell you that 1) is a tie b/w One and One Tree Hill,
but then my lists explodes to 10 or so.

I'm a failure because I can't list my favourite 5 U2 songs.

-----------------
:tongue: Scarecrow: Oh, I'm a failure because I haven't got a brain.
Dorothy: What would you do with a brain if you had one?

Whats The Story? said:
Hehe I was merely jesting:p However I do see your point, because its one I've considered before: That many of U2's very finest songs are from the 1980s, but the 1990s saw greater consistency and assuredness in u2's albums...Despite that, I think songs like The Fly and HMTMKMKM are U2's best work because they really pushed themselves and recorded songs that were so different to their typical '80s anthems. BTW what do you think now about the POP remixes? Gone I think is superior to the album version, but Disco (while a god remix) is not as good as the original. Staring At The Sun's new mix is on a par with the original in my opinion.
Yeah, I knew you were just joshing! I just love delving into my little theories, though, haha. I agree that U2 really had to try other things in the 90s - and sonically, they really outclassed their 80s work. Some of the mysticism, some of the romanticism, was missing in the 90s, but I can't really complain. Overall, they were a great band in both decades.

As far as the new remixes go, it's a mixed bag for me. I ADORE the new mix of 'Gone' - I think a new life has been given to the song. It has a bit of the live energy now, and the rythem, especially, really stands out for me now. It's got a sexiness that it was lacking before - almost in a HMTMKMKM sort of way.

I also like the SATS remix, but I'm not sure anymore if I like it more than the original. I like the soulfulness of it, now, but some of the meat has been taken out of it. I like the meatiness of the original. It had more spunk. This new version would be a better single, though.

As for 'Disco', in theory, it seemed like such a good idea to strip it down, and turn it into a full out rock song. However, what I forgot about was the fact that 'Disco' really doesn't have much to it, and once stripped down, there isn't really much left. The production of the original is what *made* the song, IMO, and once you remove that production, it's like a magician removing the curtain for all of us to see what's really underneath. With some songs, you can get a way with that, because they are constructed around a solid framework - meaing they are, in essense, well written! A song like 'Stuck In A Moment' is, in essense, a well written song. One can simply listen to the acoustic version for proof. In fact, I like the acoustic version even more. The song is revealed as the gem it truly is.

I'm not saying that I didn't ever like 'Disco'. All that fabulous noise and texture and bombardment is incredible - but it's all production really. Strip it all away, and you're left with one good guitar riff, and a song that you can't even hum to (which you couldn't even do in the first place!). So, anyway, sorry for the rant!

oi.. some of these songs you hear so much and have heard so many times I dunno how they could be your fav. WOWY for instance. :huh:

• In God's Country
  • MOFO
  • Lady with the spinning head
  • Unforgettable fire
  • Red Hill Mining Town

Michael Griffiths said:

Yeah, I knew you were just joshing! I just love delving into my little theories, though, haha. I agree that U2 really had to try other things in the 90s - and sonically, they really outclassed their 80s work. Some of the mysticism, some of the romanticism, was missing in the 90s, but I can't really complain. Overall, they were a great band in both decades.

As far as the new remixes go, it's a mixed bag for me. I ADORE the new mix of 'Gone' - I think a new life has been given to the song. It has a bit of the live energy now, and the rythem, especially, really stands out for me now. It's got a sexiness that it was lacking before - almost in a HMTMKMKM sort of way.

I also like the SATS remix, but I'm not sure anymore if I like it more than the original. I like the soulfulness of it, now, but some of the meat has been taken out of it. I like the meatiness of the original. It had more spunk. This new version would be a better single, though.

As for 'Disco', in theory, it seemed like such a good idea to strip it down, and turn it into a full out rock song. However, what I forgot about was the fact that 'Disco' really doesn't have much to it, and once stripped down, there isn't really much left. The production of the original is what *made* the song, IMO, and once you remove that production, it's like a magician removing the curtain for all of us to see what's really underneath. With some songs, you can get a way with that, because they are constructed around a solid framework - meaing they are, in essense, well written! A song like 'Stuck In A Moment' is, in essense, a well written song. One can simply listen to the acoustic version for proof. In fact, I like the acoustic version even more. The song is revealed as the gem it truly is.

I'm not saying that I didn't ever like 'Disco'. All that fabulous noise and texture and bombardment is incredible - but it's all production really. Strip it all away, and you're left with one good guitar riff, and a song that you can't even hum to (which you couldn't even do in the first place!). So, anyway, sorry for the rant!

I saw your remarks about Disco' on another thread, and I think that you're right about it. I reckon its quite an unusual song, and so stripping it down has taken away some of that vibe and made it more ordinary. Still, its interesting to hear new versions, and Gone has remixed excellently, surpassing the original I think.:yes: Last point: I've never heard the single versions of Last Night On Earth, IGWSHA, and Discotheque. What are they like? Better than the orignal songs?

Whats The Story? said:

I saw your remarks about Disco' on another thread, and I think that you're right about it. I reckon its quite an unusual song, and so stripping it down has taken away some of that vibe and made it more ordinary. Still, its interesting to hear new versions, and Gone has remixed excellently, surpassing the original I think.:yes: Last point: I've never heard the single versions of Last Night On Earth, IGWSHA, and Discotheque. What are they like? Better than the orignal songs?
I haven't heard the single version of 'Discotheque', but I have for the other two. LNOE isn't much different, but I haven't listened to it in quite some time. It's got a different bridge, I know that much. Bono sings it without falsetto, I believe. It's not as good as the album version, actually (not in my opinion anyway). As for IGWSHA, that's totally a matter of taste. The single version is very "clean" with a different ending and different editing. It has a beautiful Marvin Gaye type of falsetto finish to it ("Soul man, soul man, by your doooor..." or something like that). The album version is more dirty, I'd say, and that just adds to the desperation. I don't know which one I like more. I used to like the single version more, but now I just don't know!

Sicy said:
oi.. some of these songs you hear so much and have heard so many times I dunno how they could be your fav. WOWY for instance. :huh:
This is a top 5 thread, meaning the "best" U2 songs - not necessarily which ones I'm into at the moment. As for WOWY, try listening to it again - but this time tonight, in the dark with headphones, and I'm sure you'll see the beauty in it again.

Michael Griffiths said:
This is a top 5 thread, meaning the "best" U2 songs - not necessarily which ones I'm into at the moment. As for WOWY, try listening to it again - but this time tonight, in the dark with headphones, and I'm sure you'll see the beauty in it again.

This is a YOUR top 5 thread. Not necesarily the best U2 songs, but your favorites. Its not one of my favorites. Neither is ISHFWILF or Streets.

Trust me, I've listened to with or without you enough times. I wouldnt cry if I never heard it again.

:scream: I don't know!!!! This is so hard!!! I'll do the best I can though...

1. One (okay, THAT one was easy!)
2. In God's Country
3. Stay
4. New Years Day
5. Stuck in a Moment...

Here are mine in order:

5.) Love is Blindness

4.) Zoo Station

3.) All I Want Is You

2.) Bad

1.) Where The Streets Have No Name

Michael Griffiths said:

I haven't heard the single version of 'Discotheque', but I have for the other two. LNOE isn't much different, but I haven't listened to it in quite some time. It's got a different bridge, I know that much. Bono sings it without falsetto, I believe. It's not as good as the album version, actually (not in my opinion anyway). As for IGWSHA, that's totally a matter of taste. The single version is very "clean" with a different ending and different editing. It has a beautiful Marvin Gaye type of falsetto finish to it ("Soul man, soul man, by your doooor..." or something like that). The album version is more dirty, I'd say, and that just adds to the desperation. I don't know which one I like more. I used to like the single version more, but now I just don't know!

Thanks! I've asked people on here before to tell me what the single versions sound like but no-ones replied:mad: ;) Anyway, I cannot find them online anywhere (Kazaa doesn't seem to work, although I got a hold of the City Of Angels version of IGWSHA) do you know of any websites that I can find these versions?

Cheers:yes:

1) Bad
2) 40
3) Kite
4) Running to Stand Still
5) Acrobat

Bad has always been my favorite song, but the rest were hard. I tried to pick a favorite off of my favorite albums. About 6 songs from Achtung Baby are my favorites, so Acrobat just could easily be a couple of others!

Whats The Story? said:

Thanks! I've asked people on here before to tell me what the single versions sound like but no-ones replied:mad: ;) Anyway, I cannot find them online anywhere (Kazaa doesn't seem to work, although I got a hold of the City Of Angels version of IGWSHA) do you know of any websites that I can find these versions?

Cheers:yes:

U22U has them. The link is somewhere around here, let me see if I can find it...

Sicy said:

This is a YOUR top 5 thread. Not necesarily the best U2 songs, but your favorites. Its not one of my favorites. Neither is ISHFWILF or Streets.

Trust me, I've listened to with or without you enough times. I wouldnt cry if I never heard it again.
Actually, as I understood it, it wasn't supposed to be "your favourites" but "your BEST song picks". Re-read the opening post. It says "your best", not "your favourites". I took it to mean, "which songs in your opinion do you believe are U2's best five songs." As for WOWY, Streets, and ISHFWILF not being your "favourites" or even your "bests" - so what? I don't really understand what your getting at. Enlighten me!

Back
Top Bottom