Your TOP 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK, here you are. if you have an FTP program just use this info:

Host: u22u.dns2go.com
Port: 2002
Username: u22u
Password: interference

If you just wanna connect through Internet Explorer or something like that:

Just Click Here!

Michael Griffiths said:

Actually, as I understood it, it wasn't supposed to be "your favourites" but "your BEST song picks". Re-read the opening post. It says "your best", not "your favourites". I took it to mean, "which songs in your opinion do you believe are U2's best five songs." As for WOWY, Streets, and ISHFWILF not being your "favourites" or even your "bests" - so what? I don't really understand what your getting at. Enlighten me!

:scratch: What's the difference between "best" and "favorites"? Wouldn't you call your favorite U2 songs their "best"? Does it make sense to think one song is their "best" and then not like it?

:lmao: I am so confused!!!

wertsie said:

:scratch: What's the difference between "best" and "favorites"? Wouldn't you call your favorite U2 songs their "best"? Does it make sense to think one song is their "best" and then not like it?

:lmao: I am so confused!!!
Wertsie, there is a differnce, and though it is quite subtle, the distinction needs to be addressed. To answer your question, your favourite U2 song may be a favourite for all sorts of different reasons - and some of those reason may have very little to do with the actual quality of the song, itself (be it song writing or production or what have you). When one thinks of a song that is "best" one really has to look at the quality of the track - not just the personal affection for it. For example, 'Holy Joe' might seriously be a favourite of mine, but would it be right to classify it as one of U2's *best* 5 songs? I don't think so, at all. I understand that music is subjective, and emotive - and therefore have a different effect depending on the listener - but one has to take into account actual quality as well (and yes, quality can be subjective, too, but it still has to be taken into account). I honestly don't think that 'Lady With The Spinning Head' can possibly be classified as a "better" song than 'I Still Haven't Found' but according to some people it is - but what they are really saying is, they simply like it more, which is a different thing entirely. Just my opinion, of course, but I think I have a point!

Last edited:
Michael Griffiths said:

Just my opinion, of course, but I think I have a point!

:yes: I see what you're saying and I agree...sort of. There's still this immense gray area though. The song with the best quality can still be very subjective!

christ

Michael Griffiths said:
Actually, as I understood it, it wasn't supposed to be "your favourites" but "your BEST song picks". Re-read the opening post. It says "your best", not "your favourites". I took it to mean, "which songs in your opinion do you believe are U2's best five songs." As for WOWY, Streets, and ISHFWILF not being your "favourites" or even your "bests" - so what? I don't really understand what your getting at. Enlighten me!

I'm not getting at anything. I simply said in my original post that I dont understand how so many people could have WOWY on their best list. As well as all the main songs that we've heard 456,783 times.

Lady is one of my favorite songs.. so now its not ok to post it here?? Since I guess I misunderstood the original posted question. The title of the thread is YOUR TOP 5. Nevermind.. I'm not in the mood for michaels brain picking/post picking-apart today.

Re: christ

Sicy said:

I simply said in my original post that I dont understand how so many people could have WOWY on their best list. As well as all the main songs that we've heard 456,783 times.

Maybe there's a reason some songs are played a lot.. because they are very good in a non subjective sort of way to the point that many (though not all) people are hugely fond of them.

Of course everyone's free to like whatever they want, and it's kinda pointless to argue about this

Re: Re: christ

SkeeK said:

Maybe there's a reason some songs are played a lot.. because they are very good in a non subjective sort of way to the point that many (though not all) people are hugely fond of them.

Of course everyone's free to like whatever they want, and it's kinda pointless to argue about this
Skeek - I totally agree with your first point. I agree with your second point, too, but I wasn't trying to say that people aren't free to like whatever they want. I was simply saying that "like" and "best" aren't necessarily the same thing, that's all.

beutiful day
until the end of the world
bad
heartland
all I want is you
one
wire
streets
lady w/ the spinning head
gone
in alittle while
stories for boys
pride
spanish eyes
do you feel loved
I threw a brick
so cruel
zooropa
walk on
running to stand still
hmtmkmkm
wowoy
mothers of the disappeared
the fly

sorry......I narrowed it down to 25.
:madspit: :madspit:

C'mon!!!! Anyone's favorites and best songs are the same freakin thing! Just like favorites are subjective, best songs are subjective too. You may think Where the Streets is their best song ever because of the anthemic chorus, soaring guitar and rock arena feel. I may say One is the best because if its beautiful lyrics, melodic tune and ambience. Its all a matter of opinion. 'Your Top 5' = 'Your favorites' = 'Best songs in your opinion'. :banghead: :lol:

In God's Country- if I could marry a song, then this would be my groom, words can not describe how much I love this song
Gone
The unforgettable fire
Mysterious ways (solar plexus mix)
Surrender

and

Rejoice- sorry, I love all of these songs so much only one more to the list and I couldnt leave it off:)

1. A Sort of Homecoming
2. I Still Haven't Found ...
3. Stuck in a Moment
4. Lemon
5. Rejoice

re. the mentioning of the 90's being more consistent than the 80's (on page 1)
since U2 released twice as many albums in the 80's (+ since they just started out back then) that is to be expected

unnamed_streets said:
C'mon!!!! Anyone's favorites and best songs are the same freakin thing! Just like favorites are subjective, best songs are subjective too. You may think Where the Streets is their best song ever because of the anthemic chorus, soaring guitar and rock arena feel. I may say One is the best because if its beautiful lyrics, melodic tune and ambience. Its all a matter of opinion. 'Your Top 5' = 'Your favorites' = 'Best songs in your opinion'. :banghead: :lol:

:yes: I agree!!!

Greatest and most significant songs

SBS
Pride
Streets
WOWY
One

My personal top 5 (I also like those above)

The Unforgettable Fire
New Year's Day
Red Hill Mining Town
In God's Country
Ultraviolet

can't pick just 5

A Sort of Homecoming
Heartland
UTEOTW
Acrobat
Beautiful Day

WHY DOES THIS BAND HAVE TO HAVE SO MANY GOOD SONGS!!

unnamed_streets said:
While agree that both "favourites" and "best songs" are both subjective, I can't agree with you that they are necessarily the same thing. Otherwise, you could make the argument that, say, 'Holy Joe' (off the 'Discotheque' single) is U2's best song, just as long as it is also a favourite. Sorry, but some degree of objectivity has to come into play. Some people adore 'Miami' as well, while others hate it. I think it is much easier just to have a list of "favourites" rather than "best songs", because than we don't have to get into these silly debates.

I have a top 3.

1 - until the end of the world
2 - one
3 - with or without you

the 4th and 5th are always changing, but this month is

4 - please
5 - like a song

(ask me again next month because acrobat and the unforgettable fire are about to come in)

Salome said:
1. A Sort of Homecoming
2. I Still Haven't Found ...
3. Stuck in a Moment
4. Lemon
5. Rejoice

re. the mentioning of the 90's being more consistent than the 80's (on page 1)
since U2 released twice as many albums in the 80's (+ since they just started out back then) that is to be expected

While I was referring in an overall sense, I mainly meant that the albums themselves are more consistent. The only 80s U2 album i consider to be consistent is Joshua Tree, whereas Zooropa and Achtung Baby are particularly consistent, and Pop is too to a slightly lesser extent.

Back
Top Bottom