Your reaction to seeing a U2 video for the first time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

travu2

The Fly
My first favorite song was "Take On Me" by Ah-Ha. I heard "With or Without You" soon after, and it was instantly my new favorite song. I had heard the song many times before I saw the video, and it had a huge impact on me. I had some pretty clear images in my head associated with it, and I guess I didn't want to see the video because I didn't want my feelings about the song to become "tainted" by someone else's vision. lol

I didn't watch MTV much at all, and I actually avoided any U2 videos if I knew one was going to come on. I finally gave in to my curiosity, though, and watched it all the way through. This was actually my first look at the band in action. Up until then, I had only known them from their pics in the Joshua Tree and Rattle 'n Hum albums.

Well, I was really impressed. Bono was as charismatic as I imagined, and I was relieved to find that a song that meant so much to me had such a great video to go with it. It was dark and mysterious, didn't have an excess of drama, and was simple and abstract enough that it didn't impose any specific images on my vision of the song.

Was anyone else apprehensive about seeing a U2 vid for the first time, or am I the only one this uptight?
biggrin.gif

------------------
"..through light projected,
he can see himself up close."

U2 vids are great, they really don't detract from the song like other vids do. my favs are:
stay
pride(the old one filmed in ireland)
all i want is you(midgets? circus? HELL YEA)

Around 1995 I had seen severel vids of U2 (WOWY, One, ISHFWILF and Lemon) but I liked none of them! I was soooo stupid I can?t believe it now!

It finally hit me in 1998 with "Sweetest thing" and the whole best of thing...

------------------
beLIEve

I was always aware that U2 existed, but the first video I saw that I actually connected with the band was Numb. I think it was played on MTV pretty regularly in 1994 or whatever. And I was aware that U2 had a lead singer named Bono (although I thought it was pronounced Boe-no) so for a couple of years I thought Edge was Bono! I think this was only cleared up for me after I had bought Achtung and listened to it thinking that "Bono" (Edge) was singing all of the songs. Ahhh, youth.
wink.gif

------------------
"The minute anybody starts telling you what God thinks, or exactly why he does such and such, beware. People should never try to make God in man's image, and that's what they're constantly doing." - Madeleine L'Engle, 1963

"Some of my best friends are women. Some of my best friends dress up as women too." - Bono, Hot Press interview

"don't give up, you've got the music in you..."

"Where the Streets Have No Name" was the first U2 video I saw, probably around 1997. I knew absolutely nothing about U2 at that time and I thought that Bono looked like a total dork,
smile.gif

The first time I saw any U2 members on TV, though, was in 1995 in Moscow, when they showed Bono, the Edge, Brian Eno and Pavarotti performing "Miss Sarajevo". I fell in love with the song immediately, but I had no idea who performed it; the only thing I remembered was the brown beret Bono was wearing. I tried sooooooo hard to find the song when later in Australia, but it's hard to find a record when the singer's headware is your only reference... but eventually I did accidentally stumble on the "Pavarotti and Friends" disc with Bono-wearing-beret picture on it,
smile.gif

The first U2 video that really "clicked" with me was when they showed U2 marathon on TV and one of clips was their cover of "Helter Skelter" from Rattle'n'Hum, with Bono running around the stage like a maniac. I just went, 'Wow!'

I think the first video I saw was New Year's Day. It was on a show called Night Tracks on TBS, back before MTV was widely available. NYD is a super cool video, with the band riding horses and playing in a couple feet of snow in the middle of Iceland (or some other really desolate place characterized by ice and conifers). Bono's face is bright red from the cold, and Edge is playing guitar in some heavy wool gloves with the fingers cut out. A very impressionable video for a third or fourth grader who's too young to be buying records on his own. Needless to say, I remembered this video in middle school when I fell in love with the Joshua Tree.

I saw AIWIY for the first time the other day and it was really weird. I personally didn't like it. I saw the song differently, I never thought about circus people.

WOWY made me literally CRY the first time.

The first One video I saw was the buffalo one and I thought it was hilarious for some reason. Just this buffalo *running* and I totally missed the point of it

------------------
~*Mona*~ Secretary of Scandalization
97% compatible with Bono

"Bono was embraced as rock's latest mystic leader, a sort of holy cross between the Morrisons, Jim and Van"

"I used to gaze out my classroom window and dream And then go home and listen to Ray sing "I believe to my soul" after school" ~Van Morrison~

Beautiful Day is awesome, though
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
It sucked me in.

------------------
~*Mona*~ Secretary of Scandalization
97% compatible with Bono

"Bono was embraced as rock's latest mystic leader, a sort of holy cross between the Morrisons, Jim and Van"

"I used to gaze out my classroom window and dream And then go home and listen to Ray sing "I believe to my soul" after school" ~Van Morrison~

This is a hard one for us old folks, being as old as they are (40) and having been a fan for 20 years they have been with me so long this just doesn't apply. I can say what I thought of them back then, in 1981 on TV, I thought they were adorably cute and I was surprised they didn't have heavy Irish accents, I always thought all Irish people sounded like on TV. I had only met one Irish person and he sounded like a leprechaun. Well I fell right in love with them, and I have loved everything they have ever done except Pop. My husband was put out by Lemon, he said 'what the hell is that' but it took Pop to scare me away. My husband is still an 80's U2 only person but I was very happy with ATYCLB. Well back to the subject, I always liked their videos back in the old days and I remember the days when Red Rocks showed on TV so much you'd go 'not that again!' I think I really took them for granted, they were there, they were good and I liked them. Being a fan since long before JT I wasn't at all surprised by its success. Well enough of the ramblings of this old lady. U2 have just been with me so long and have really rooted themselves into me pretty deep. That's why I take everything so seriously! I do pity all of you too young to remember the glory days of MTV, you know back when it didn't suck, and how much U2 there was on it. Those were the days.

------------------
"I've been all over,
and it's been all over me!"

Thanks for all the cool stories guys.
smile.gif

lol.. agentorange, I'm pretty sure the "really desolate place characterized by ice and conifers" in the New Year's Day vid was either Switzerland or Sweden, but I can't remember which one. Anyone know?

------------------
"I want to be with you be with you night and day,
but nothing changes
on New Year's day."

okay, don't shoot me for this...

The first U2 vid I saw was Beautiful Day and I loved it! Then I watched the others and I must say that my image of the songs was not really affected by the vids. I still can see the vid and accept it as different from my vision of the song in my head. Well, except for Numb...that one can't be separated from it's vid.

------------------
"A Bono approved event is a good event!"

You can dream, so dream out loud!

"The way to be optimistic is not to shut your eyes and close your ears." -Bono

Create Light, Create Unity, Create Joy, CREATE PEACE!

**cass looks around for sharp objects**
**cass faints**
It was New Year's Day and deadset, I tell no lie, I had drawn quite a detailed storyboard for hub's band (Razor..punk days)I had big ideas....and there it was on the screen!! Mine didn't have snow.. instead Aussie bush, appalosas(we had them at the time) and a big fire at the end with family and friends dancing around..but virtually identical...what the!???
and it was a changing world, very proud it was associated with Lech Welensa(can't spell, bit pissed ,it's NYE afterall) and Solidarity.

And then the Pride film clip.........
**cass doesn't faint...she dies**

------------------
So long, and thanks for all the fish.

I became a U2 fan in early 2000. Far enough after they'd put out any new material for them to be a buzzword, and close enough to the release of the new album for me to get in on the action.
smile.gif

They felt like my little secret. I fell in love with JT and then AB, then got War from the library along with Zooropa. I read ATEOTW and fell in love with the whole character of the band. I had never seen them in the flesh tho, in any form other than a few album photographs.

I don't remember which video was my first, but it was probably R&H. I was transfixed. More because this sound I had fallen in love with finally had a face.
smile.gif

-sula

Hey Gypsie i agree with you how hard it is on us 'older' fans. for me tho, it was "Gloria" they only played it on MTV every 30 minutes! yes, talk abou taking them for granted! I fell in love with that young band out on that barg, those eyes and smile on that lead singer got me!! But then they showed "I will follow" live, they were so young,(n' yes, Edge had hair!lol)just rocking like no one else was then! shoot, even now!! And theyn there's "elevation" is it? where it's almost Virtue reality like? I didn't see that one until AFTER sept.11! Freaked me out..!

The New Years Day-vid is filmed in northen Sweden. This I know for sure.
/*Proud*

------------------
-"I think it's all about drums"

Originally posted by tiny dancer:
My first video was Desire. and that's all it took!

Given what Bono looks like in that video, I don't blame you!
eek.gif

I really don't remember my first U2 video. Earliest ones for me included NYD and One. The first time I ever heard The Unforgettable Fire was also when I saw the video. I love that video and I always see it in my mind's eye when I hear the song.

------------------
You say you want
Diamonds on a ring of gold
Your story to remain untold
Your love not to grow cold

This thread makes me laugh at myself, a "veteran" since Gloria ... first video I watched of the lads was on June 21, 2001, when I got the Best Of collection. :lol:

I've told variations on this story before, but the bizarre truth is that I never subscribed to Muchmusic, I didn't go much to bars after 1984, and still don't even have basic cable. Rattle & Hum is the obvious exception to my video-less condition, and I had the luxury of seeing several showings in a fine old theatre before resorting to the VCR. But even that film is in its way as iconic as the photos I drew from all those years... I will say, though, that R&H plugged me into Bad like no song before or since.
The two ZooTV shows I saw touched me with their -- you know the feeling, their humanness *L* -- but didn't "prove it" to me like Elevation did... before that, it was mostly just me and the albums. The songs. Audio, baby...

I took the following from my notes to a friend after watching the Best Of for the first time. [I WAS in awe. As I've declared before, they were always a band of angels to me, singin' my soul, not a band of men. Actually SEEING them is a sort of religious experience...]

It's so funny... it ain't like I never watched videos in the Eighties; while in art school I did, and prior to that there was always the technological novelty of the "videotheque" uptown. LOL But really, from '86 on, I didn't have them around. I think I saw The Unforgettable Fire once, and the last part of Pride I recognize. So what I get is a sort of (homecoming...) flashback on my U2 life, in some parallel world -- Bono wasn't really a "real guy" to me 'cause I never really saw him, that's all! Yes, there was R&H of course, fixing JT-era U2 iconically forever in my imagination. But I didn't watch them grow up.
Last night, I did. *s* [The '98 clip, in contrast, for Sweetest Thing helped.]
Some purely aesthetic observations: of course I did see a ton of photos of the boys. In Bono's face I saw all the fire and intelligence I knew of his conversation and performances. I never found him attractive, nor even beautiful in that all-lit-up sort of way, mostly 'cause I wasn't looking, I guess. [--A lean, lanky, SHIRTLESS Adam in the Streets clip, however...!] ...he wasn't pretty, he was just Bono. He WAS astonishing, he WAS a flaming Spirit --"attraction" was irrelevant. Like asking if your guru's good-looking, you know? It ain't right! *L*
But gee, now...*snerk*
Plus, as i'm painting him (for the first time in years), I'm really looking at him, studying the soul of him in the face.
Sunday Bloody Sunday, live at Red Rocks (mighta seen that once, too) yanked me back to being a 21-year-old who was looking at a riveting, glowing,
beautiful 24-year-old Bono afire with spiritual desire and a shaman's authority. His eyes, in those earliest clips especially, were big and dark, wild and humble at the same time.
And then I look at him in With or Without You. I HAD NO IDEA! It does look an awful lot like the treatment in R&H, which I furthermore never did like to look at; the lighting is too harsh on him. But they got it right for the original video!

I really love the I Still Haven't Found... video, even though I "shouldn't." That is such an earnest, pious song, and the video is rock-star playful. But it works. Because it's candid...Larry and Adam actually sing, and laugh! Bono smiling... utterly changes him, softness and light where we are accustomed to seeing deep intensity. I love where he seems to be taunting Edge, trying to make him crack a smile -- while Edge just turns his eyes the other way, his mouth fixed, smile-less. Edge's hair so long and loose (Bono's hair in Desire is, um, PLEBA material...) is a rush...meanwhile, Bono pulling the rock-star, just-got-out-of-bed scuzzy look doesn't do anything for me. I forgive him, though, after watching him hug and kiss those women, and do the twist on the sidewalk, and roll on top of the hood of that car...gee, do ya think there was any drink involved that day? He's so sweet and silly. Bono, come on over for some whisky, hon...

Only the last few weeks, I've been catching up on them ALL. (if it ain't out on videocassette, I haven't seen it, though) It is glorious, it's surreal, it's a blessing.

That's the long answer to the short question.
wink.gif

Deb D

------------------
He set my feet upon a rock
made my footsteps firm

the greatest frontman in the world -- by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

[This message has been edited by truecoloursfly (edited 01-02-2002).]

ahem
radiohead, tool, smashing pumpkins and even madonna (though i am biased here
tongue.gif
) are better at making videos

u2 usually makes viddys for the sake they have to make a viddy

though its interesting thing to note that a lot of their videos they focus on larry alot, purely for the fact he's the best looking member of the group

The first u2 video I saw was "Even better than the real thing" and I thought:
Just cool!
But it finally hits me when I saw: Where the streets have no name

Originally posted by CrashedCarDriver:

though its interesting thing to note that a lot of their videos they focus on larry alot, purely for the fact he's the best looking member of the group
Making a comment like this can be dangerous for your health!!!

BONO GIRLS!!! Let's get him!!!!

maybe U2 make videos for the sake of having to make them, and not many of their videos are revolutionary groundbreaking videos, but they've come up with some good ones in the past. even better.. was great and innovative. the video for "stay" directed by wim wenders is great because it's modeled after wings of desire.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Originally posted by truecoloursfly:
This thread makes me laugh at myself, a "veteran" since Gloria ... first video I watched of the lads was on June 21, 2001, when I got the Best Of collection. :lol:

I've told variations on this story before, but the bizarre truth is that I never subscribed to Muchmusic, I didn't go much to bars after 1984, and still don't even have basic cable.

How did you manage to avoid their videos all these years?! You have either shown some amazing self-restraint, or... a grand madness?
biggrin.gif

I guess now you have the opportunity to discover a whole other side of the band pretty much all at once.
smile.gif

The longest I have gone without tv is about 3 months, and I really didn't miss it at all. It was a great feeling knowing that the time I would have spent planted in front of those pretty pixels was instead spent doing something constructive. Of course, now it's these pixels that are becoming a problem.

Originally posted by truecoloursfly:
That's the long answer to the short question.
wink.gif

Thank you for sharing that. I really enjoyed this insight into your unique manifestation of U2 mania.
wink.gif

------------------
"I love to watch things on ZooTV."

First clip that I saw of U2 was With or without you in 87 and I didnt really think anything much of it, but in 89 when I was discovering the band I remember watching a music documentary on the guys and they played 'Gloria' and I rmember thinking how bad Adam's hair looked, but that clip sucked me in and I loved the song too,,,,,anyway my fave clip is ISHFWILF- I just love the stupid, kinda drunk feel that this clip has and Bono just looks so fine
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom