Your perfect Production team

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

powerhour24

ONE love, blood, life
We all know Eno and Lanlois can produce good albums, we all know Lillywhite can produce good albums, and Flood makes cool sounds but is not a great lead producer (I love Pop but it definitely suffers from over-production).

That said, who in your opinion would make up ther perfect team of producers and mixers for their next album?

You can include prior people, or anyone out of the blue.

I don't think Pop is overproduced... In fact, I think that a few songs like LNOE, Please, IGWSHA could be even get better production - despite being great tunes...

I guess that there's not a perfect production team. It all depends on the kind of project the band is interested in, and in which thing each producer is specialized in. But almost all the producers U2 worked with are fantastic, they've been making great pieces of art.

Aygo said:
I don't think Pop is overproduced... In fact, I think that a few songs like LNOE, Please, IGWSHA could be even get better production - despite being great tunes...

LNOE has got the worst bridge in the history of bridges. All the better production in the world couldn't help that weakness.

Actually, I really like the song on a production level. It's got all kinds of sound trinkets going on without ever sounding cluttered. A good example of the huge artificial space they created with their sonic landscape on Pop. Brilliant stuff, on that level.

I would really want to see Rick Rubin produce a u2 record, bring some new flavor to the picture. especially if they are going to change things up on the new album.

And I dont know, I wouldnt mind seeing Kanye West produce ONE track on the new album. No rapping or bullshit like that, but let him make a kind of "Pop-Miami-Hip Hop Oriented" kind of beat to go to a cool jam. would be interesting to hear at least.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
rick rubin.

for that true stripped down sound that u2's claimed to have for the past 6 years.

:up:

he's working with metallica right now, right?

I don't think "we all know Lillywhite can produce good albums." The first three albums were way stuffy. I think it suited Boy, but by War, when they started mixing up their arrangements more, it became very clear the band had outgrown Lillywhite. And Bomb is way overprocessed. All noise, no nuance. "Sweetest Thing" '98 sounded good, but of course, Eno and Lanois lent a hand on that...

Eno and Lanois are amazing, though. All their recordings have a timeless quality. I think it's interesting when one exerts more influence than the other (like how Achtung is more Lanois and Zooropa is all Eno). I've been hoping for an all-Lanois album for a while now.

I don't know why everyone dogs on Flood (although calling Pop "overproduced" is definitely a new one on me). I agree with Layton; Flood took these really chaotically detailed arrangements and made something fairly tight and clean out of them. There's an occasional blip (like that one on the "Last Night On Earth" chorus), but I think he did a good job overall. He did better barely making the release date than the army of producers on Bomb did with numerous delays.

I don't know much about Kanye West, but I think he'd be an interesting choice for the next album. It's not like U2 will have to do a hip-hop album just because he's producing. As long as they stick with one producer and don't give us a sonic mess like Bomb, I'm hopeful.

Johnny Cash's American records sounded great under Rick Rubin, but the Chili Pepper's By the Way was pretty flat (and I don't know what else I've heard that Rubin produced), so I don't know what to think of him. He's all trendy now that everyone loves Johnny Cash again, but I don't know if he's actually anything exceptional.

Last edited:
typhoon said:
I don't think "we all know Lillywhite can produce good albums." The first three albums were way stuffy. I think it suited Boy, but by War, when they started mixing up their arrangements more, it became very clear the band had outgrown Lillywhite. And Bomb is way overprocessed. All noise, no nuance. "Sweetest Thing" '98 sounded good, but of course, Eno and Lanois lent a hand on that...

Eno and Lanois are amazing, though. All their recordings have a timeless quality. I think it's interesting when one exerts more influence than the other (like how Achtung is more Lanois and Zooropa is all Eno). I've been hoping for an all-Lanois album for a while now.

I don't know why everyone dogs on Flood (although calling Pop "overproduced" is definitely a new one on me). I agree with Layton; Flood took these really chaotically detailed arrangements and made something fairly tight and clean out of them. There's an occasional blip (like that one on the "Last Night On Earth" chorus), but I think he did a good job overall. He did better barely making the release date than the army of producers on Bomb did with numerous delays.

I don't know much about Kanye West, but I think he'd be an interesting choice for the next album. It's not like U2 will have to do a hip-hop album just because he's producing. As long as they stick with one producer and don't give us a sonic mess like Bomb, I'm hopeful.

Johnny Cash's American records sounded great under Rick Rubin, but the Chili Pepper's By the Way was pretty flat (and I don't know what else I've heard that Rubin produced), so I don't know what to think of him. He's all trendy now that everyone loves Johnny Cash again, but I don't know if he's actually anything exceptional.

you always make great posts.

I think the production on Pop is fantastic. Then again, I think just about everything on Pop is fantastic :wink:

Kanye's a pretty good producer from what I've heard, and I don't know why everyone assumes that everything he produces will automatically become hip hop, but I wouldn't mind seeing him produce U2. I kinda like the stuff Jacknife Lee did, too. I dunno about U2 working with new people though... the Chris Thomas sessions didn't work out too well, unfortunatley. Maybe they should stick with Eno/Lanois and have Flood do some stuff too.

AtomicBono said:

you always make great posts.

I'll second that. :up:

Eno and Lanois are my favourite producers. Kayne would be interesting. I'm not really a hip hop fan, but he's definitely got a spark of originality that transcends any categorization.

How about Nigel Godrich, long-time Radiohead producer? He could add a much-needed weirdness/experimental vibe.

angelordevil said:

I'll second that. :up:

And I'll third it.

On the production team matter, if you ask me, it's a shame Mike Portnoy and John Petrucci aren't going to produce outside of Dream Theater. The sound mix on Live At Budokan is just utterly amazing, and the studio stuff is equally as nice. These guys know what they're doing, and having them working on a U2 album would be a dream come true for me.

Another one I'd love, and this time he has actually worked on projects outside of his own band, is Steve Wilson of Porcupine Tree. His work both for PT and Opeth is absolutely excellent. I'd also love to hear Steve Wilson sing with Bono, but that's a matter for another thread ...

Eno/Lanois at the front, Flood and Lillywhite to mix. Worked for JT and AB didn't it?

Whoever will work on the next album(s): keep the same guys producing and mixing the whole time. None of the albums post Zooropa sound perfect and I think it helps if the team stays the same throughout the recording.

Lanois solo is what I've been hoping for too. I mean Eno got a shot with Zooropa and Passengers already, why not try him out with a solo production?

Definitely keep Flood away from production, and various Jacknife Lee characters too.

Last edited:
Axver said:

And I'll third it.

And I'll fourth it.

Nigel Godrich would be interesting but I don't know if people would expect the new album to sound too much like Radiohead then. I think that could be an issue.

Anyway he just produced McCartney's new album. Or so the covers says, but you cannot really sense his presence if you ask me. But OK, that's Macca, we all know he prefers to do everything all by himself if possible.

How about giving Lanios and Eno a Holiday for the next Album and forget there phone numbers. There's absolutely no doubt that these guys can produce great things from U2. But maybe some "new blood" would give the band a better product on the whole.

I'd like Rick Rubin, he seems to be the "in guy" right now but you must not dispute some of his latest projects.

How about Jack White? Any thoughts on him? It might be an interesting concept with him.

Layton said:

LNOE has got the worst bridge in the history of bridges. All the better production in the world couldn't help that weakness.

Actually, I really like the song on a production level. It's got all kinds of sound trinkets going on without ever sounding cluttered. A good example of the huge artificial space they created with their sonic landscape on Pop. Brilliant stuff, on that level.

I liked the bridge a lot more on the single version. I wish someone would edit the two LNOE's together;)

Last edited:
Axver said:

And I'll third it.

On the production team matter, if you ask me, it's a shame Mike Portnoy and John Petrucci aren't going to produce outside of Dream Theater. The sound mix on Live At Budokan is just utterly amazing, and the studio stuff is equally as nice. These guys know what they're doing, and having them working on a U2 album would be a dream come true for me.

despite the fact that we went to the same high school and it's always good seeing guys from the neighborhood do well, the thought of john petrucci producing a u2 album makes me gag a little.

My vote is for Trent Reznor, he'll be sitting on his ass in '07 and '08 not recording, that's for damn sure.

Besides that, U2 doesn't neccessarily need an 'ideas' producer, they need a 'sonics' producer. I'll go into more detail later, if I think about it.

typhoon said:

I totally agree about LIllywhite, people give the production on those first three albums a pass, including myself, but it's nothing to write home about, especially War, all things considered.

Flood also produced outside of POP, people seem to have forgotten this. NIN, PJ Harvey, Depeche Mode, Smashing Pumpkins, albums:Violator, Songs of Faith and Devotion, The Downward Spiral, Pretty Hate Machine, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness/Adore (assisted), To Bring You My Love

also, an engineer on The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby, also worked on Zooropa.

He is excellent. If you want to blame the shoddy production on POP on something, blame the fact that it was hurried, period.

as for Rick Rubin, I've been waiting to say this for some time.
First off, he's made some outstanding albums from Slayer to Public Enemy to the Beasties to RHCP and all kinds in between.
I'll disagree with you on By The Way, it's pretty dynamic for it's simple structure, I don't know how you could think those harmonies or the entire song Throw Away Your Television are flat, but we can disagree about that.

He does have a few clunkers like the last Audioslave album, but that's not important to what I want to say. He's a hands-on control freak and he has a huge ego.

He specializes in capturing the best takes, he's not a producer who walks in and says "play the C#, not the Cm" or whatever.
He's a guy that plays by ear. He thrives on the songs being done and getting the best out of them.

U2, as we all know, don't record like anyone else. They essentially jam until shit starts happening, then they jam some more until it filters down, after months and months they get down to songs, that end up melding together blah blah, most of us already know this.

Rubin, according to the interviews I've read, and I've read several, likes for the artist to trust their instincts, yet another strike agianst U2's process. He described working with Neil Diamond and said essentially that Neil wrote 20 songs, came in they recorded them and took the best 12. It was a simple recording process, his expertise is to capture the moments.

With U2, the entire writing process are moments, with their tendency to prolong studio sessions, we all know they dwell and hang on minute details until it's right, or as Bono says "God walks thru the room" And then they have to hash that out.......

It just seems from the start, a conflict of interest. Possible ego clash, a real creative disconnect, in terms of producing the music itself. The fact that U2 aren't done writing until they stop recording, lends itself to not working well with someone like Rubin. Rubin takes many projects a year, would he spend a year with U2, maybe 6 months? He very well might, odds are that it's not a good match.

NOW ALL THAT SAID.

If U2 spent a year, with Edge and selected engineers recording and forming the best 20 songs, they had extreme confidence in those songs, and took them to Rubin, and worked with him for 5 or 6 months (whatever) to get the best takes, then it could work.

Rubin is a master at what he does, all I am getting at, is that what he's really good at doesn't seem to run side by side with U2's process. Couldn't we see U2 changing things up again and again and just pissing him off? I could. It's just seems to be a conflict of interest. What happened with Chris Thomas, the hardened studio vet, who basically has remained mum on the subject? I think he grew tired of U2 and they of him.

Where does that leave U2, or maybe more importantly the fans?
More waiting? Tour delayed to Nov 06, I got news for you, the next album is a long, long ways off. Do we want to wait even longer?

I don't think U2 in 2006, is willing to turn their system on it's head just to work with the producer of the moment, even if he has been around for nearly 20 years. It just doesn't add up in all the right places. Guys like Eno and Lanois, seem to be fluid, ever changing ideas, possibilities, Rubin seems to be the kind of guy, from his own words, I'll dig up some quotes if you like, that wants to more or less do it his way. Now, he doesn't force the artists hand into doing a song this way or that way, but when he says "leave it be" I think that's his calling card. U2 change constantly, not a match.

I don't know, I think the delayed Vertigo dates may help in getting studio time this year, I mean there's what - 9 months? - between now and November.
Remember the band talked about working with Kanye before all of this happened, and Bono and Edge both indicated they're already thinking and starting on ideas for the next album.

angelordevil said:
How about Nigel Godrich, long-time Radiohead producer? He could add a much-needed weirdness/experimental vibe.

:up:

I definitely think that Godrich would be a great choice. At least give him a go for a few months and see how it goes. They've worked with him before too, on the Walk On single version he gets a production credit.

Flood would be good too. Great job on Pop, and he gets some production credits on HTDAAB as well (though they're probably left overs).

I don't think Eno-Lanois would work again, and I definitely think the Lillywhite thing has been worn out, but Jacknife Lee might be good to work with again.

Anyone for Howie B?

It has to be Eno-Lanois all the way!
Lillywhite is best employed at the end of production to tidy things up, like on Joshua Tree and Achtung baby.
A solo lanois production would be good, but I think Eno is quite indespensible, he brings something sublime out of the guys everytime!
However as they have until November before the next few gigs, maybe Rick Rubin would be the ideal candidate to produce a real rock and roll album and make that angry Edge inspired rock album that Bono has promised us for so long!!

My perfect Team for U2?

A whole brand new bunch of young producers with a lot of ideas and concepts to develope :drool:

No more the (ab)used staff, you know, Lanois, Eno, Flood, and all those guys who have worked with U2 since the 80s :ohmy:

I think Garrett Lee has done some really amazing work already. I listened to "Don't Come Knocking" and it has the ghost of Pop back. Very minimalist arrangement producing a dense, hard sound, I felt the chill and darkness of 90's again. Though I consider any reference to 90's a bad thing, but it manages to produce that extra new element, the voids were not looser they are tighter. His mix of Fast Cars is quite magnificient as well, the total 180 degree take on acoustic flair is quite daring. I think thats what U2 need now.

Producer: Garrett "Jacknife" Lee
Mixing: Steve Lillywhite
Engineering: Carl Glaneville, Richard Rainey

Last edited:
ishkash said:
I think Garrett Lee has done some really amazing work already. I listened to "Don't Come Knocking" and it has the ghost of Pop back. Very minimalist arrangement producing a dense, hard sound, I felt the chill and darkness of 90's again. Though I consider any reference to 90's a bad thing, but it manages to produce that extra new element, the voids were not looser they are tighter. His mix of Fast Cars is quite magnificient as well, the total 180 degree take on acoustic flair is quite daring. I think thats what U2 need now.

Producer: Garrett "Jacknife" Lee
Mixing: Steve Lillywhite
Engineering: Carl Glaneville, Richard Rainey

:up::up::up:

your thoughts are my prediction. next album will see Jacknife Lee take the majority of the production credits.

I felt Jacknife Lee hurt Crumbs with the ship fog horn sounds in the chorus and it's probably him playing the annoying xylophone-type keyboards on City of blinding lights. IMO he also produced the least listenable of all acoustic U2 songs in A man and a woman.

I think that Lillywhite gets too much bashing for Bomb; since he wasn't the only one working on it plus he had way less time than usual U2 producers. All things considered I thought he did a good job.
(I also thought Flood didn't make the release time for Pop since that was meant to come out in the Fall of 96)

David Bowie, Brian Eno, and Flood producing

Nellee Hooper and Howie B mixing

I would die. :drool:

and they could re-record some of their older songs as b-sides like a newer version of Stories for Boys or The Electric Co. with Steve Lilywhite.

I would come back to life and die again :drool:

:bonodrum:

Back
Top Bottom