Your Opinion: *SHOULD* U2 Win A Grammy For Album Of The Year For ATYCLB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
We all know we would probably ALL want them to win, but the question is, objectively speaking (yeah, I know it's hard!), *should* they win it? In your humble opinions, is ATYCLB the best album of the year? Does it deserve the accolade? Feel free to discuss other albums if you feel they deserve to win. On your marks, get set, go!

------------------
The Tempest

[This message has been edited by Michael Griffiths (edited 12-13-2001).]

Yes! Without a doubt! If I wasn't so drunk right now, I'd post the reasons why. But it's too much effort to think right now.

My question is: Is there another album out there that deserve to win more than ATYCLB?

------------------
AFLAC!!!!!!

Well, I think Alicia Keys is also heavily favourited...she's great, really. But in all honesty, ATYCLB IS the better album, especially in light of Sept.11 and all.

If ATYCLB had not come out sooo long ago, you would not even be asking that question, I think.

Alicia Keyes has a good album but it is not up there with Lauryn Hill's classic album that year. Dave Matthews is good middle of the road rock pop that subruban americans flock to in hoards, but is it the best album of the year? No.

Clearly, the winner here always has been and should still be U2's All That You Can't Leave Behind. They are the artist that deserves it the most. I am not making odds yet on their winning it, but they deserve it.

My answer is an emphatic YES!

ATYCLB is undoubtedly the best album of the year. Other artists just were not at their peak this year. There may have been one or two songs from each one that stood out, but not an entire album like ATYCLB. U2 should definitely win. Whether they really will or not remains to be seen!

------------------
One love, one life...
Give peace a chance!
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Bono: I don't walk, I swagger! I sashayed once, but just once. It wasn't for me.

IMHO yes, uhm I can't even think of who would be competing. Alicia Keys, ok it's a great album but I think there's a certain myth to it because it was her first so people tend to think it's that much greater. If that makes any sense. Amnisiac (spel?) I don't know maybe alternative but definately not Best Album, it just doesn't sound as tightly knit as some of their other stuff and definitely not as much as ATYCLB. There's talk about Bob Dylan's album, but he's just such a legend that the guy can pretty much tape his own fart and it be considered great. I can't think of anything else, I mean the Tool album is great, and I think Depeche Mode's Exciter is also interesting, but there really isn't anything in the same stratosphere musically much less nearly as relevant as ATYCLB. Some of the stuff coming out this year might have worried me (Mick Jagger's solo for example) but 2001 was a really slow year for both music and film.

On another note will it win? Who knows, did anyone expect Steely Dan to win last year?

------------------
Tha Prickly Comedian

I can?t comment on it, don?t know the american music market so well, mainly nowadays. But I can wish they win. And I deeply wish.

------------------
"To me a rock and roll concert is 3-D, it?s a physical thing - it?s rhythm for the body. It?s a mental thing in that it should be intellectually challenging. But it?s also a spiritual thing, because it?s a community, it?s people agreeing on something, even if it?s only for an hour and a half." (Bono, as quoted in the book U2 The Road to Pop)

I just was listening to ALICIA KEYES again, and I'm sorry, I just don't see it. Is she talented? Yes. Is it a good album? Yes. But I agree with others pointing to her "newbie" status as the reason she is getting so much attention. It is npot a earth shattering album, period. I also agree with the Lauryn Hill comparison. IMO, Lauryn Hill's album is a much more accomplished piece of work. Unfortunately, I think she has the edge. The Grammy voters are going to want to buck their stodgy reputation (especially in light of what happened last year with Steelt Dan), and they will probably vote for the newcomer. However, there is hope. SPIN has named them band of the year. I think ROLLING STONE will as well. That will have influence. And the bottom line; it is the album of the year. A compromise would be to give "FALLIN'" record of the year and ATYCLB album of the year.

I sure hope they win. The album has really gained relevance since the Sep 11th. The tour was a success, and the album has great sales. This past year since the release of ATYCLB has definitely been U2's year.

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 12-13-2001).]

Originally posted by ultraviolet353:
I really can't think of another album that comes close. ALICIA KEYES is talented but very hyped.

if alicia keyes beats U2 for album of the year....
mad.gif
i will lose any sliver of remaining faith in the corporation that is the music industry.

confused.gif
there just IS no comparison!
mad.gif
oh i'd be SO furious...

------------------
Bono: There is a bit of my guitar playing, but honestly it's sad.
Larry: It is. But Bono looks great with it.

Take my shirt, go on take it off me
You can tear it up If you can tie me down

* U2 Take Me Higher *

[This message has been edited by oliveu2cm (edited 12-13-2001).]

the problem is there is so much crap out there that U2 really don't have any competition for that album. Maybe Dylan but that's it. they'll win it.

------------------
"Things will not be the same in this city for us." -Bono, Dublin, February 1980

I agree that there's little real competition. U2 is a safe choice for the mainstream Grammy voters, and the album relevance will persuade quite a few votes.

It's pretty much assumed that U2, Bob Dylan, and Alicia Keyes are going to be nominated, but who else will be in there? Neil Diamond? HA!

Yes, I belive they will win. However, if Dylan won I wouldn't be surprised. Both Dylan and U2 have made incredible albums. Has there ever been co-albums of the year?

------------------
~ME THREE

Don't get sentimental
It always ends up drivel

Well I'm glad someone else started a Grammy thread and not just me all the time
smile.gif

Well it is unfortunate, but it looks like many critics already are putting Keys as the favorite for pretty much every category. The problem I see for U2 is this. Not only did they give the album of the year to veterans the last two years, they were veterans that almost had to be wheeled up on stage they were so ancient. I have a feeling they may try and shake this entirely and go with the freshest face out there, and no that isn't U2.
wink.gif

U2 is the safest choice, the best choice for sure in my opinion. They have the overall strongest ALBUM. I would give song and record of the year to Keys, but Album of the year should be U2's.

As for who else is in the running and what some people are already predicting, here is an article from hitsdailydouble.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Alicia Looks To Lead the Pack When Nominations Are Announced

December 11, 2001

It's Alicia Keys and everybody else at next year's Grammys.
If you were laying odds on the 44th annual awards ceremony, it would be a good bet Clive Davis' latest soul ingenue will be up at L.A.'s Staples Center podium more than once come Feb. 27. Nominations will be announced at a press conference on Friday morning, Jan. 4.

Keys' "Songs in A Minor" and her hit single, "Fallin'," could well emulate Davis' achievement with Carlos Santana in 1999, when the veteran guitarist nailed eight Grammys, including Record of the Year and Album of the Year.

Keys could well nab all four major awards?Album of the Year, Record of the Year, Song of the Year and Best New Artist?as well as assorted R&B categories.

Other Album of the Year candidates (released between Oct. 1, 2000-Sept. 30, 2001) include Bob Dylan's critically acclaimed "Love and Theft" (Columbia), U2's "All That You Can't Leave Behind" (Island/IDJ; which came out within the eligibility date, though the single, "Beautiful Day," won last year), "O Brother Where Art Thou?" (Mercury Nashville/IDJ) and OutKast's groundbreaking "Stankonia" (Arista).

Keys' album could well pull an Ichiro Suzuki (who nabbed both Rookie of the Year and MVP) and end up on top, though there is a precedent for a soundtrack like "O Brother" in previous winners "The Bodyguard," "Saturday Night Fever," "The Concert for Bangladesh" and Henry Mancini's "Peter Gunn." Dylan's "Time Out of Mind" was honored in 1997 in this category, while albums by U2 and OutKast just made it under the wire to be eligible this year.

Dark horses could include Linkin Park's multi-Platinum "Hybrid Theory" (Warner Bros.), Mary J. Blige's highly praised "No More Drama" (MCA), Nickelback's "Silver Side Up" (Roadrunner/IDJ), perennial Grammy fave Diana Krall's "The Look of Love" (Verve), Usher's "8701" (Arista) or, in a post-Sept. 11 universe, Enya's soothing, new-agey "A Day Without Rain" (Reprise).

Aside from "Fallin'," Record of the Year candidates include Usher's "U Remind Me," Nelly Furtado's "I'm Like a Bird," Staind's "It's Been Awhile," Five for Fighting's "Superman," Moby/Gwen Stefani's "South Side," Eve/Gwen Stefani's "Let Me Blow Ya Mind," Missy Elliott's "Get Ur Freak On," Mary J. Blige's "Family Affair," Enya's "Only Time," Elton John's "I Need Love," U2's "Walk On" and Train's "Drops of Jupiter."

Aside from Keys, the Best New Artist category could include Nelly Furtado, Linkin Park, Nickelback, Lifehouse, India.Arie, Puddle of Mudd, the Gorillaz or Bubba Sparxxx. Don't look for critics' faves but not yet commercial smashes Ryan Adams or Pete Yorn to get a nod, though.>

Here are my predictions for the 5 nominees.

U2: All That You Can't Leave Behind
Alicia Keyes: Song in A Minor
Bob Dylan: Love and Theft
Enya: A Day Without Rain
Soundtrack: O Brother Where Art Thou?

Originally posted by Danospano:
It's pretty much assumed that U2, Bob Dylan, and Alicia Keyes are going to be nominated, but who else will be in there? Neil Diamond? HA!

If it was Will Ferrell as Neil Diamond, I could see it. If it's original recipe Neil, then no.
smile.gif

------------------
"You gotta love living, baby, 'cause dyin's a pain in the ass."-- Frank Sinatra

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

U2 - 'ATYCLB' *should* win and here's why:

It is undoubtedly the best album of the year lyrically and musically. It was followed by the most successful tour of the year (and believe me, this counts). Not too mention the fact that who the hell are they competing with? Come on. IMO, the other great albums of the year are Coldplay's 'Parachutes', Travis's 'The Invisible Band' and REM's 'Reveal'. Musically Coldplay just isn't up to par with U2 yet, lyrically Travis is a joke, and well, REM's new album just didn't do so well. Nevermind the fact that the above mentioned albums won't even be contenders... so if you can come up with a better album than 'ATYCLB' try, 'cause I sure can't.

Go U2!!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
"It's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight..."

U2 or Dylan should win but sadly Alicia Keyes is a mortal lock for the award. She's not "likely" to win. Oh no, she's GUARANTEED to win. It might as well have already happened.
She has that "aura" that multiple grammy winners always have. It's hard to quantify but we all knew in advance that Santana and Lauren Hill were going to romp. U2 had that feel this summer but too much time has passed. Keyes is fresh and All That You Can't Leave Behind is last years news. I predict that U2 get two nominations max and that they go 0-2 at the grammies.

MAP

Originally posted by Matthew_Page2000:
...Alicia Keyes is a mortal lock for the award. She's not "likely" to win. Oh no, she's GUARANTEED to win. It might as well have already happened.
MAP

Sadly Matthew_Page2000 you are probably right. Releasing an album at the time of year U2 did is the kiss of death. But you know, if the Grammies are the way you say, then why the hell do we all care anyway?

I still say the *should* win, and I honestly can't think of any album that is better.

------------------
"It's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight..."

All I can say Alicia who? and I do not mean that as being funny. I don't think I have ever heard her. Is she played on Rock stations? How about soft rock? what kind of music is it? R&B? She wouldn't be the one who messed up the Star Spangel banner whould she? How many records did she sell? I don't think anyone should get record of the year for there first record. How can you top that. Look at those who have won on their first record they are now nobodies.

[This message has been edited by U2Byrd (edited 12-13-2001).]

Alicia Keyes would of won had Sept 11th never happened. The Grammy's are going to pay tribute to the music that defined the year, and U2's album was all over the place, before and AFTER the US attacks. That's partly why I also think Enya's album will be nominated as well.
Alicia Keyes will probably win everything besides album of the year, but U2 or Enya are my best guesses for the big one. We'll see...

U2 will be nominated for Album of the Year.

The winner, however, will be Enya's "A Day Without Rain."

U2 released their best work in ten years. Enya released her best work in her life. It is hard to ignore that. Keyes? Forget about that. Enya will have everyone in the palm of her hands much like Santana did 2 years ago.

Well, I can't really offer a solid opinion, as I haven't heard the Dylan, Enya, and Keyes albums. The one thing I do know is, obviously, that ATYCLB was one of the year's best, and probably the most relevant, especially after Sept. 11th. I think it's the latter point that will sway Grammy voters in the end. This, coupled with the fact that the acadamy is stocked with U2 fans (sorry, but 'Beautiful Day' is not a better song than Macy Gray's 'I Try'), is why I think U2 will walk away with a Grammy for best album.

------------------
The Tempest

[This message has been edited by Michael Griffiths (edited 12-13-2001).]

Oh oh, my last point about 'I Try' being better and still not winning last year, just made me think of something. Why didn't her song win? Well, not only because there are a lot of U2 fans in the acadamy, but also because -- as someone else already alluded to in this thread -- she was a victiim of the "yesterday's news" mentallity. I suppose the same thing could happen to U2 this year. Guess we'll all have to wait and see. The Grammys are pretty fickle, so it could be based on almost anything. Someone on the rollingstone board said the Grammys are pretty much a popularity contest, but I don't think that's always the case. Just look at Steely Dan's album. Many people didn't even know who he was. In the end, it may just be what the voters ate for dinner that night that will determine it all.

------------------
The Tempest

A Grammy win for album of the year would give increase sales of the cd by at least 500000 or more. But does the band really care about such "accolades"? I don't think so otherwise the release date of the cd would have been more appropriate for winning awards. Just like Oscar movies are released just near the end of the year to be fresh in the minds of the Academy. Lists of albums of the year and awards are junk anyway so I hope they don't even attend if nominated. Look at Maxim Blender's top 50 albums of the year. They put LFO, Destiny's Child, and Nsuck in the list but no ATYCLB, go figure. I didn't buy the magazine, I just read the list at the store. They don't deserve my money with a list like that.

------------------
You give it all but I want more

Back
Top Bottom