Your opinion of HTDAAB now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2girl said:
I'm still loving it. It's very even throughout. I would place it behind JT and AB, and slightly ahead of Zooropa and ATYCLB.

My ranking of songs:

1. Sometimes (next One if you ask me)
2. Original of the species (feels like John and Paul were in the room)
3. One step closer/City of blinding lights (love both)
4. Miracle Drug

are all very good/classic potential songs

Still good

5. Crumbs
6. A man and a woman

OK

7. Love and peace
9. ABOY
10. Vertigo
11. Yahweh

Actually, on second thought, that's

Sometimes
Original
City are classic potential

Step
Drug
are very good

Crumbs
Man...
are good

rest is ok. I still think that, song per song, this is their no.3, behind JT and AB but ahead of other albums.

Last edited:
I should yoy give mine:

1. Love and Peace or else
2. Original of the species
3. Miracle Drug
4. City of blinding lights

5. Crumbs from your table
6. Vertigo
7. All Because of you

8. A man and a woman
9. Sometimes you can't make it on your own
10. One step closer
11. Yahweh

It's strange for me to see that Sometimes is high on the list with anyone. It's also the new single but I don't like it very much, I don't think it's a classic song myself. One,With or without you, Stay are much better if you ask me.

I don't like Yahweh either. I think it's musically very bad.

LOVE Original of the species! I read john and paul were in the room, now I know!

This is my list for the albums:

1. Achtung Baby
2. How to dismantle an atomic bomb
3. The Joshua tree
4. Zooropa

It;'s one of the best u2 albums!

It's settling in and the newness is wearing off.

All in all, I have to say it's a really good album. Not great and probably better than just 'good'. I have come to the realization years ago that I will never like any U2 more than the (83-93) period. And I am fine with that.

I was so ultimately dissappointed with ATYCLB my expectations weren't much, but I think U2 have made a really good album. Some tracks are the best stuff they've done in many years, and yet some if it just could be better. Ya know, I don't spend much time being concerned with what U2 didn't do on this album, I am just appreciating for what it is.

Overall, I'd say it's probably #6 on my list. Behind AB, JT, UF, War and Zooropa.

Then:
1. Original Of The Species
2. Love And Peace Or Else
3. City Of Blinding Lights
4. All Because Of You
5. Vertigo
6. Miracle Drug
7. A Man And A Woman
8. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
9. Crumbs From Your Table
10. Yahweh
11. One Step Closer

Now:

1. City Of Blinding Lights
2. Crumbs From Your Table
3. A Man And A Woman
4. Original Of The Species
5. One Step Closer
6. Vertigo
7. Fast Cars
8. Love And Peace Or Else
9. All Because Of You
10. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
11. Miracle Drug
12. Yahweh

All in all, some tracks have grown a lot worse and some have grown a lot better. One Step Closer is now one of my definitive favourites, very downbeat, and Crumbs From Your Table is just such a great song, I have discovered.
But I think some songs have been revealed as a bit empty.
I loved Love And Peace Or Else, it was very Popish, but it lacks lyrics, just as All Because Of You.

I still think Yahweh sucks. One of their worst songs ever.

All in all the album lacks what Zooropa oozes of. Experimentation, and lyrics. On the bright side there's only two weak songs on it in my opinion, all others could be labeled as "strong" or whatever you wish to call it. No U2 album except for Achtung Baby can match this lineup.

Let me put it this way:
There are 4 Achtung Baby song on my Top 10 of all U2 songs. There are 3 HTDAAB songs on the top 30.

The Bomb is all I ever wanted in an album. I don't say that easily, being a U2 fan for 20 years now. Two months later and I still can't get enough of it. My only disappointment was that Mercy was cut. I am not too disappointed though.
The songs that have really changed for me are ABOY and Crumbs. They rock! They were always good songs, I have just realised that they are great songs.

1. City of Blinding Lights
2. Love and Peace or Else
3. Original of the Species
4. Yahweh
5. All Because of You
6. Vertigo
7. Sometimes...
8. Miracle Drug
9. Crumbs...
10. One Step Closer
11. A Man...

The first 9 songs here are at least an 8 rating.

After many many plays, listening closely or while doing other stuff (sometimes inconciously it can stick in my head and learn to love it more), here's my 2 cents!

I love as much as my first few listens! Although, like any new albums, the excitement diminishes and I was also somewhat busy with the holidays.....but I still the love the album as much and each track didn't change much in my love radar:

1-Sometimes you...
2-Original of the species
3-City of blinding lights
4-Vertigo
5-Miracle Drug
6-Love and peace or else
7-All because of you
8-Fast cars
9-One Step Closer
10-Yahweh
11-man and a woman
12-Crumbs

Miracle Drug went up somewhat from my first listen but other than that they pretty much stayed the same!

1-Miracle Drug
2-Sometimes You Can't Make It...
3-Love And Peace Or Else
4-City Of Blinding Lights
5-One Step Closer
6-Original Of The Species
7-Yahweh
8-All Because Of You
9-Fast Cars
10-Vertigo
11-Man and A Woman
12-Crumbs

conveniently, my four favorite songs here appear on the album in that order!

1) Vertigo - i think this will be one of their best ever
2) Miracle Drug
3) Yahweh
4) All Because Of You - see comment next to Vertigo
5) Crumbs
6) SYCMIOYO
7) LAPOE
8) COBL
9) OSC
10) OOTS
11) AMAAW

hahaha when I first heard the album, OOTS was my fave. Now look at it....

2. Miracle Drgug
3. Love and Peace or Else
4. Sometimes You Can´t Make it On Your Own
5. All Because of You
6. Crumbs From Your Table
7. Original of the Species
8. Vertigo
9. One Step Closer
10. Yahweh
11. A Man and a Woman

1. The Joshua Tree
2. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
3. Achtung Baby

5 years from now this album will be heralded as one of U2's top efforts behind JT and AB.

ATYCLB will always be known as the big "comeback album" but HTDAAB will be the true third masterpiece.

THE BOMB is U2s best work since ACHTUNG BABY, which still is the best album ever...stop...THE BOMB has no weak song...stop...the most surprising track after listening to the crappy beach samples is ABOY...stop...THE BOMB is part of the TRINITY (AB, TJT, HTDAAB)...stop...my reaction after first listening was mixed...stop...but now after five weeks of heavy rotation i have build a special relationship to THE BOMB...stop...this relationship never happened with P(l)OP (hope they re-record this unfinished work some day!) and ATYCLB...stop...
:applaud::bow::up:

Last edited:
jacobus said:
THE BOMB is U2s best work since ACHTUNG BABY, which still is the best album ever...stop...THE BOMB has no weak song...stop...the most surprising track after listening to the crappy beach samples is ABOY...stop...THE BOMB is part of the TRINITY (AB, TJT, HTDAAB)...stop...my reaction after first listening was mixed...stop...but now after five weeks of heavy rotation i have build a special relationship to THE BOMB...stop...this relationship never happened with P(l)OP (hope they re-record this unfinished work some day!) and ATYCLB...stop...
:applaud::bow::up:

Yea...................................

1. miracle drug
2. one step closer
3. yahweh
4. sometimes you...
5. vertigo
6. original of the species
7. crumbs
8. city of blinding lights
9. aboy
10. love and peace
11. a man and a woman

just a very small amount beneath jtree and ab.

I know now that i was too quick to judge this album as simply good ( My Girlfriend just pointed out to my that i am generally just too quick, i wonder what she means :scratch: )
This album keeps getting better and better and more important to me with every listen. Its important because after ATYCLB, i felt like they had released a weak album and that it might continue like that. But thats my opinion guys and gals LOL,
Now i know that they are as strong as always, and that ATYCLB wasn´t as bad as i thought.

1. Yahweh
2. Miracle drug
3. Crumbs from your table
4. Vertigo
5. COBL
6. A man and a woman
7. Sometimes....
8. ABOY
9. OOTS
10. One step closer
11. Love and peace or else

God part III,, Yahweh sucks ???, lol.. Hvordan fanden kan det være ?? lol,,, Har du forresten fået min mail med CPH koncerten ?
Har flere koncerter fra Danmark,,, Så sig bare til.

Its become the most listenable U2 album for me and the one ill be listening to most in 10 years time. Achtung Baby is still the most complete album theyve done and I think thats because there is a claustrophbic theme that connects on a unique level running from start to finish that no other album will ever match.

This album has a totally different if somewhat indecipherable atmosphere about it and that keeps it just behind AB for me. 6-8 of the songs get 8/10 which is better than what AB has but then AB has 'One', a 10/10

1 City of blinding lights
2 Original of the species
3 Vertigo
4 Crumbs from your table
5 Miracle drug
6 A man and a woman
7 Sometimes
8 Yahweh
9 Fast cars
10 All because of you
11 One step closer

Mercy somewhere in the middle had it been included.

1. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
2. Original of the Species
3. Yahweh
4. City of Blinding Lights
5. Miracle Drug
6. Crumbs From Your Table
7. All Because of You
8. Vertigo
9. Love and Peace or Else
10. One Step Closer
11.A Man and a Woman

I still love it! It's my second-favorite U2 album behind Achtung Baby. Like it has been said there are no weak songs on this album.

On first listen City of Blinding Lights stood out because of the very strong melody. I still think it has the biggest "potential" of all the songs but as pointed out by others, it could probably have been produced better. Vertigo and Original of the Species have really grown on me.

It's difficult for me to rank the songs but here is a try:

1. Sometimes...
2. Miracle Drug
3. City of Blinding Lights
4. Yahweh
5. Crumbs From Your Table
6. Original of the Species
7. Vertigo
8. All Because of You
9. Love and Peace or Else
10. A Man and a Woman
11. One Step Closer
12. Fast Cars

I'm in love with this album. The songs are going to be amazing live. This tour is going to be their best ever. I could see them playing 10 of the songs on the tour. The only exception is A Man and a Woman.

My favorites:
2. Miracle Drug
3. Fast Cars
4. Yahweh
5. Original of the Species
6. One Step Closer
7. Vertigo
8. Love and Peace
9. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
10. All Because of You
11. Crumbs from Your Table
12. A Man and a Woman

It's brilliant and their second best album after AB.

What AB was to love and angst, HTDAAB is to love and joy.

It was an instant hit with me and remains so; probably the most consistently strong album they've ever done. Even "Yahweh", which I considered the only weak link, has grown on me a lot with time. And the songs are going to absolutely SLAY live!

Guys this is a little bit off topic but interesting none the less...I haven't been posting long, maybe this has been brought up. If you look on the back of your CD on the mirror like band (the thin one in between where the CD is burned and the white band), there is a small message someone left for us to find. There's a universal globe logo and directly around the band from it is like a barcode. Under the barcode there's numbers and a small message that reads "Miss You Sugar." You have to hold it at the right angle to read it, i stumbled on it looking for a scratch in the CD. Anybody know what this means? Has anybody even noticed it? If there was already a discussion on this im gonna feel dumb but like i said, im a noob.

Back
Top Bottom