Your LEAST fave u2 album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
luna_lovegood said:

:shocked: but ..... but .... its so beautiful! UF, Bad, Pride, Promenade, MLK, ASOH, even Elvis Presley And America are all so atmospheric and breathtaking! I think this is one of their most important albums. Without it, Joshua Tree would never have been made. They opened the flood gates on UF.

Well, yeah, it was important, I'll give it that. It helped the evolution from post-punk to their later experimental stuff. But as an album, it was pretty weak. It's very atmospheric, but it was over-atmospheric at the expense of the actual music, if you get what I'm saying. Important, but still my least fave.

Fact: Joshua Tree and Unforgettable Fire are unacceptable answers.

Everyone who says that epically phails.

Niceman said:
New York is the worst U2 lyrics ever.....

I know a lot of people have this opinion, but I can't understand why.

"In New York I lost it all to you and your vices
Still I'm staying on to figure out my mid life crisis
I hit an iceberg in my life
But you know I'm still afloat
You lose your balance, lose your wife
In the queue for the lifeboat
You got to put the women and children first
But you've got an unquenchable thirst for New York

In the stillness of the evening
When the sun has had its day
I heard your voice a-whispering
Come away child..."

If you ask me, those are A+ lyrics!

I actually think ATYCLB is a great record, solid from start to finish. I disagree that it tails off as it goes. If anything, 'Elevation' is the worst song on it!

I tend to agree that the U2-fans on the Internet seem to hate U2's stuff in direct proportion to how new it is. In 10 years, everyone who hates it now will be ranting about how great HTDAAB is (and it is great!).

Rattle and Hum used to be my least favourite, mostly because of the live stuff and because Love Rescue Me and WLCTT are a couple of U2's worst songs, but the other studio tracks are so great that they rescue the album. October is a beautiful record, ok a few of the tracks on side 2 are horrible, but side 1 stands proudly beside some of their best stuff. It has to be HTDAAB for me, hands down.

My least favorite would have to be HTDAAB. I am very dissapointed in this last album. I tried listening to it the other day and got up to City with blinding lights then turned the stereo off. What a crap album.

HTDAAB is a very good album just to calculated and overproduced but the songs are good Bono's vocals are great (ok the drumming is pretty bad but) its clear that Rattle and Hum is terrible save heartland and All I want is you and throw the rest away for me.

Rattle and Hum is Clearly U2's Worst

and october is a great album excellent atmospher Bono at his most sincere strong and brave theme for a 22 year to be singing about nice space in the recording.

phillyfan26 said:
Fact: Joshua Tree and Unforgettable Fire are unacceptable answers.

Everyone who says that epically phails.
Yes and you forget to mention AB

I'd say October and Pop are in the same category as 2 sides of the same coin. Both show a lot of brillance but leave me wanting more. They just feel unfinished.

However the answer for me is Rattle and Hum. To me this record equates to the color Andy Griffith shows of the late 60s- perhaps better their contemporaries but nothing compelling or memorable or special. They exceed their era but they don't transcend it like SBS, NYD, Streets, Still, One, etc. (Or to continue the analogy- like the B&W Andy Griffith shows which are still shown today- 40+ years later. )

I am good company because by the late 80s/ early 90s U2 didn't even like themselves, and a breakup was even contemplated.

Pop

it's the only album I never feel like listening to
not that it's not good, but definitely not good enough

Back
Top Bottom