Your favourite recorded covers done by U2 ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
Dancing Barefoot, Unchained Melody and Everlasting love in the 80's and Night and day, Satellite of love, Paint it black, Fortunate son and Happiness is a warm gun in the 90's. Plus Beat on the brat and Dont' take your guns to town in the 00's. *

My top 3 are Night and day, Satellite of love and Everlasting love.

* The Saints are coming's studio version wasn't released yet, plus it's technically a collaboration, not just U2 covering.

Last edited:
My top three - Everlasting love (I never liked that song before I heard u2's version. Its somehow less corny than the first version and more upbeat!)
Dancing barefoot (brilliant song and I thought for ages that it was a u2 song!)
Satelite of love (and so wonderful live, especially on the zootv tour. I hope they play it in hawaii!)

Dancing Barefoot :drool:

Not recorded (officially, at least) but equally amazing cover was Instant Karma at the Portland show last year. I've always loved that song but U2 covering it just brought it to a whole new level for me.

People, this is favourite RECORDED cover. There are no U2 studio versions of Rain, Redemption Song, People Get Ready, or Springhill Mining Disaster.

At least those who mentioned Maggie's Farm and Instant Karma acknowledged they were only done live.

Can't Help Falling In Love. Not the single version, the one off the film soundtrack - the name of which escapes me - but I think it's also technicaly just Bono, not U2, so I guess doesn't count. Move along.

I forgot...do we count Can't help falling in love?
Technically it's only Bono on it, but it is a cover and it was a B-side.

U2girl said:
I forgot...do we count Can't help falling in love?
Technically it's only Bono on it, but it is a cover and it was a B-side.

There are two versions, one that was a b-side on one of the Achtung singles, and that one is 'U2'. Then there's the second one, with the samples of Elvis talking in the background, and I'm sure that one is only 'Bono'. The second one is far better, IMO.

Yes, love the "Bono" one.

I checked the credits on the B-side and it appears only Bono and Paul Barret were involved:

Performed by Bono. Produced by Bono and Paul Barrett. Hammond Organ by Paul Barrett. All other instruments: Bono.

So I guess this is not "U2" and it can't count.

Well then I have to re-assess. Difficult, they correctly say that they're not the greatest cover band in the world. Everlasting Love I guess.

I like Along The Watchtower - I'm counting it because Edge lifted the Hendrix solo into one of the AB studio recordings.

I also like Pop Musik, especially live. The 8m remix is crap, but I think there is a promo CD with the 4m version.

Mission Impossible deserves a mention.

I wonder if some of the "live only" exist as studio sessions somewhere in the u2 vault?

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:
I wonder if some of the "live only" exist as studio sessions somewhere in the u2 vault?

I think it's a safe bet there's something somewhere. I'm honestly kind of surprised that the band never used People Get Ready as a b-side aorund the JT/Lovetown era, but I wouldn't be shocked if it were done in studio and just never used.

An Cat Gav said:
Yep, it's written by Phil Spector.

Though we could get technical and say that it might not count because the "studio" version was actually recorded at a JT Tour Scottish soundcheck (I forget exactly which). :wink:

U2FanPeter said:
I like Along The Watchtower - I'm counting it because Edge lifted the Hendrix solo into one of the AB studio recordings.

I also like Pop Musik, especially live. The 8m remix is crap, but I think there is a promo CD with the 4m version.

Mission Impossible deserves a mention.

u2fp

Well even so, All along the watchtower wasn't recorded on tape/disc as an official U2 cover.

Pop muzik - is U2 playing any of the instruments on that song? That is definitely not Bono's voice on that...

M:I while being a cover features only Larry and Adam.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom