Your favourite recorded covers done by U2 ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:

I think it's a safe bet there's something somewhere. I'm honestly kind of surprised that the band never used People Get Ready as a b-side aorund the JT/Lovetown era, but I wouldn't be shocked if it were done in studio and just never used.

Though we could get technical and say that it might not count because the "studio" version was actually recorded at a JT Tour Scottish soundcheck (I forget exactly which). :wink:

Seriously??
God, they sounded great!! I think that is one of Bono's best vocals, I assumed that a bit of "studio magic" had been sprinkled on it.
They were in such good form back then. It's unbelievable that that is more or less a live track.
Wow, yet again your knowledge amazes me!!!!

U2girl said:

Well even so, All along the watchtower wasn't recorded on tape/disc as an official U2 cover.

Pop muzik - is U2 playing any of the instruments on that song? That is definitely not Bono's voice on that...

AATW was on R&H and released as a music video in Australia(?)

Pop Musik was completely recorded by U2 from scratch. I'm quite certain Bono does some singing in the studio version("London Paris....")

What's interesting is that nobody here can say 100% for sure what was recorded in the studio or at a soundcheck/live. Paint it Black, Fortunate Sun, Satallite of Love etc...

u2fp

U2girl said:

Pop muzik - is U2 playing any of the instruments on that song? That is definitely not Bono's voice on that...

Are you talking about the beginning of the song ("London, Paris, Munich," etc)? That part's not Bono, but it's definitely him performing the main vocal.

Last edited:
Axver said:
People, this is favourite RECORDED cover. There are no U2 studio versions of Rain, Redemption Song, People Get Ready, or Springhill Mining Disaster.

At least those who mentioned Maggie's Farm and Instant Karma acknowledged they were only done live.

Zeich Hail!!

U2FanPeter said:

AATW was on R&H and released as a music video in Australia(?)

Pop Musik was completely recorded by U2 from scratch. I'm quite certain Bono does some singing in the studio version("London Paris....")

I know, I'm referring to official, recorded on disc U2 covers.

:shrug: It's been a while since I heard it but it didn't sound like Bono to me.

An Cat Gav said:

Seriously??
God, they sounded great!! I think that is one of Bono's best vocals, I assumed that a bit of "studio magic" had been sprinkled on it.
They were in such good form back then. It's unbelievable that that is more or less a live track.
Wow, yet again your knowledge amazes me!!!!

Yep, quite serious! I'd definitely agree that there was likely some studio magic done to brush up the track for the release, as when I first heard it, I certainly wouldn't have guessed that it was sourced from a soundcheck performance. The band were on FIRE in those days. :drool:

Also, I looked up the date of the soundcheck. It was the 30 July 1987 show in Glasgow (that's what I had previously noted on U2-Vertigo-Tour.com and I just cross-checked it with Pimm's book), though I think I've seen some people assert it was at the 1 August 1987, Edinburgh show ...

Jesus Christ, Christmas (Baby...), Dancing Barefoot, and Everlasting Love are probably my favs. While Watchtower would count, the version I like is the Lovetown tour one.

Agree w/Ax that PGR could well have been recorded in the studio...also wouldn't be surprised if they ever recorded Springhill too; if they did it would be another favorite.

Paint it Black was a disappointment to me...I'd heard about it and couldn't wait to hear, and it was a letdown. Fortunate Son on the other hand was pretty good IMO.

Umm, I'm kinda new.
Been a fan for a bit more than five years. So I missed these covers. Would anyone be kind to send me them? tonyhotland@yahoo.com

Am not sure which ones I'd like, but from what I've read, Dancing Barefoot, Everlasting Love and Night and Day seem to be the most favorites....
Oh, and probably Can't Help Falling In Love. I have it on my Zoo TV DVD, which is the last song. But I'd love to hear it if they (or Bono as some said) actually recorded it..

Please please please....

Thanks guys :)

Back
Top Bottom