Your Favourite Bono Sayings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

discothequeLP

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Bono's said a lot of cool stuff on stage over the years. What are your favourite lines? Mine are:

"Take a picture of this!"

"It's our hero!"

"The last time we were here, there weren't so many people, so if there was anyone here that was here last time, hello. . . "

"You've never heard this song, because we're just gonna make it up."

I love the whole "I have the vision! Television!" thing

And OF COURSE (if this counts) anything he says/"raps" during the intro to UTEOTW.

His rants, especially during Sunday Bloody Sunday and Bullet The Blue Sky.

Oh, and this:

"This is a story about a religious man who became a very dangerous man when he misunderstood the meaning and the message of the hands of love."
- The intro to Exit

Reminds me of certain religious leaders and politicians and presidents I know ...

I might be cheating, but I just wanted to post these...

"I dance much better horizontally than vertically..." kills me every time. Does it even require justification?!

another favourite is:

"work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt and dance like no one is watching" - a philosophy for life if there ever was one :)

Last edited:
On stage, my favorite quote would have to be: "The God I believe in isn't short of cash, mister."

But I'm also very fond of Macphisto's Sydney smirk. "Look what you've done to me."

"My name is Mr Macphisto I am looking for a taxi to take me home from Sydney Football Stadium! Hello what is your name.....beep beep beep"

lol

tink said:
another favourite is:

"work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt and dance like no one is watching" - a philosophy for life if there ever was one :)

For some reason Bono sometimes gets credited for that saying, but it wasn't him who invented it.

No, Bono is not the author of that statement. I never heard him saying it and I'm sure he didn't pretend to be its author.
The author is Satchel Paige.

Last edited:
Some of my favourites:

"I met this guy once in a mental hospital I was visiting. He introduced himself as Jesus Christ. I just said, 'Haven't we met before?' He said nothing. I asked him why, if he was the son of God, was he in a mental hospital? He said, 'Because it's my 40 days and 40 nights in the wilderness.' At that point I just cracked up. I asked him when the end of the world was going to come. He said April 1. I thought, 'Brilliant, pencil it into the diary. The world will end on April Fool's Day. Perfect'

"U2 is an original species... there are colours and feelings and
emotional terrain that we occupy that is ours and ours alone."

"As we were leaving stage, I said [to Bob Dylan], 'Those songs are gonna last forever, Bob.'
And he said, 'Your songs are gonna last forever, too - the only thing is, no one's gonna be able to play them.' They're hard to figure out, you know?" -U2: Road To Pop

:yes:

I'm not in a position to be seen as a spokesman for a generation.
I mean, how can you be a spokesman of a generation
if you've nothing to say, other than 'Help!'"

"It's your future. The only limits are the limits of your imagination.
Dream up the kind of world you want to live in - dream out loud.
At high volume! That's what we do for a living. Lucky Bastards!" - Dublin New Year's Day 1990

This is one of the funniest:
"Welcome to Zoo TV y'all...the finest in hardware, software, & men's wear." :lmao:

Last edited:
Too many to mention, but here are a few of my favorites...

During the Popmart tour: "Those of you in the back, can you hear us? Both of you?"

"Sometimes being a rock star is like going through a sex change. A lot of people treat you like a girl, they stare at you and follow you down the street, 'til you don't know where to hide."

"I could go onstage, unzip my pants, and hang my dick out, and people would think it was a statement about something."

:lol:

The interview hadn't even begun..... and suddenly we all noticed
something very peculiar: Bono - is - taking - all - his - clothes - off.
The white shirt went first, then his black suede boots, his socks,
trousers, and briefs (black with white trim, possibly Calvin Klein,
probably Marks & Spencer). "That's better," he sighed blissfully. "Now ask me a serious question -- if you dare."

Q : "Most interesting question asked recently by a fan?"
Bono : "Have you seen Bono?"

"Sex and music are still for me places where you glimpse God.
Sex and art, I suppose, but unless you're going to get slain in the spirit by a Warhol or Rothko, I think for most of us art is music."

I will admit that we are attracted to issues that
unify people rather than divide them.

"I never wanted U2 to be the biggest rock'n'roll band in the world, just the best."

"To be one is a great thing. But to respect differences may
be even greater."

BP: What's the most frightening thing that ever happened to you?
Bono: I found this pair of sunglasses, I picked them up, I put them on...
... and I entirely agree with him on this one.

"Most of our organization is run by women.
We sort of work for them, really!"

Never trust a man who tells you it's from the heart, never trust a man smoking a cigar, never trust a cowboy or a man who wears shades...

"We don't write music for food; we write music for sex. Dinner parties just aren't our thing."

BP: What's your favourite method of transportation?
BONO: An angel's back. No, make that blindfolded.

BP: Who's your hero?
Bono: Ali. She's so sane although she chooses to live with me.

BP: Have you ever told a lie?
Bono: Everything I say is a lie.

BP: When did you last cry and why?
Bono: I suppose I do everything in extremes - laugh a
lot, cry a lot, fight a lot, make love a lot, eat too
much, drink too much, try too much, cry too much.
Pass the onion..

BP: What's your real-life nightmare?
Bono: Having to explain yourself.

"It would be wrong for me to say 'Yes, we can change the world with a song' -but every time I try writing, that's where I'm at.
I'm not stupid. I'm aware of the futility of rock 'n' roll music.
But I'm also aware of it's power."

"We make music you can have sex to"

"You know something? You're a fucking ugly son of a bitch!"
-As mirrorball man in DC '92, looking into the mirror.

"Goodbye, all you Neo Nazis...I hope they give you Aucshwitz"
-Macphisto during Sydney '93

"People ask me such serious questions and I answer them. I'm that dumb."

"I think the people that come to see u2, as well as being the loudest muthafuckers in the world, are also the smartest. I know every other rock n roll band thinks their audience is the loudest and the smartest, but you know? Their just wrong."
-At the Anaheim '92 concert.

"I want to replace the bands in the charts now, because I think we're better."

"I want to play the guitar very badly, and I do play the guitar very badly."

"Having gone through the trouble of selling out, you'd expect to at least knock Michael Jackson off the top."

"It was the period where a lot of you Americans thought we went all arty on you. Can I just say something? Well if not so, I'm gonna anyway. If you're from the Northside of Dublin, you can get away with being a little arty sometimes, you know what I'm saying? You know what, we were floating out there. We discovered a lot of interesting shit.....and this is a BEAUTIFUL song."
-Introducing 'Stay' during Washington DC '01

"Well, tonight we're making you all Irish."
-New Years Eve at the Depot '89

Last edited:
I like the fact that i've heard him say this one, on about a dozen seperate occasions...

"When ur 16 u think you can take on the world.....sometimes ur right"

And a more serious one - "Thousands of people dying a day, of a treatable disease. That's not a cause, it's an emergancy"

Back
Top Bottom