Your Favorite U2 songs from this decade... and reasons why

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll only briefly reason these out, because I wouldn't have the patience to read it all if I were me...wait, huh?

Electrical Storm - What Beautiful Day should have been, so that people wouldn't have gotten sick of U2 (I have nothing against Beautiful Day, I just think this song would have kicked off U2 in the 00's a whole lot better)

Walk On - Uplifting, but musically pretty damn good, too

New York - Hands Down best from ATYCLB. This song helps us remember that U2 are actually still a rock band amidst all the other cheerful, ballad-y stuff from the album.

Kite - I think this one might be just because it is sung beautifully, the music is really simple in it.

A Man and a Woman - Laid-back love vs. lust song. Overlooked, yet still one of the most creative songs on Bomb

One Step Closer - Atmospheric desperation...great mood to this song

Miracle Drug - Simplistic; a song that seems to carry the Beautiful Day idea to new heights. Plus, the Edge sings the middle section!

Love and Peace or Else - Adding some electronic flavor here and there never hurt anyone. Anything that reminds me of POP must be somewhat good.

City of Blinding Lights - A modern-day "Streets"; enough said.

Fast Cars - Most innovative song of this decade from U2. Exploring a fun new territory (if only briefly)

*I may be getting ahead of myself, but I have a slight hunch that the new album may knock most of these out of the water. We shall see what the next few months bring.

For the record, I still think Vertigo kicks ass. It comes to life in a live setting like any great U2 song should, but it still melts faces on the album. The ridiculously high volume of the album actually doesn't hurt the song all that much.

And yeah, the lyrics are stupid. Not everything has to be epiphanic to be enjoyable.

I said Beautiful Day was a cliche because it is the typical 'everything's great' pop song

Really?

The heart is a bloom
Shoots up through the stony ground
There's no room
No space to rent in this town

You're out of luck
And the reason that you had to care
The traffic is stuck
And you're not moving anywhere

You thought you'd found a friend
To take you out of this place
Someone you could lend a hand
In return for grace

You're on the road
But you've got no destination
You're in the mud
In the maze of her imagination

You love this town
Even if that doesn't ring true
You've been all over
And it's been all over you

Not exactly happy cheerful stuff right there.

If anything the song is about keeping positive in spite of life's real hardships. Don't see how that's your typical 'everything is great' pop. :shrug:

Really?

The heart is a bloom
Shoots up through the stony ground
There's no room
No space to rent in this town

You're out of luck
And the reason that you had to care
The traffic is stuck
And you're not moving anywhere

You thought you'd found a friend
To take you out of this place
Someone you could lend a hand
In return for grace

You're on the road
But you've got no destination
You're in the mud
In the maze of her imagination

You love this town
Even if that doesn't ring true
You've been all over
And it's been all over you

Not exactly happy cheerful stuff right there.

If anything the song is about keeping positive in spite of life's real hardships. Don't see how that's your typical 'everything is great' pop. :shrug:

dude. there was a huge thread on this where we went back and forth with the guy. if i could search it i would, but you're not gonna win this one...even if everybody else agrees :wink:

I like almost all of the songs from this decade, but my two favorites are Beautiful Day and City of Blinding Lights. Beautiful Day is probably my favorite U2 song (such a soaring anthem), and COBL is high up on the list.

Electrical Storm - Why? Because it's incredibly atmospheric, and Bono's voice is incredibly soothing. They need to play it live. :sad:

Because in the end the message is even though there is this hardship everything's great so don't let it get away.

It's not that everything is great, it's that even when you're in the darkness, there is light if you look for it. It doesn't mean you'll never see darkness again, or that your life will be perfect from then on.

Life is what you make of it.

Or is it that great music must be brooding and dark?

It's not that everything is great, it's that even when you're in the darkness, there is light if you look for it. It doesn't mean you'll never see darkness again, or that your life will be perfect from then on.

Life is what you make of it.

Or is it that great music must be brooding and dark?

Hey, that's not exactly what I gathered from that song, too.

Answer to question: yes.

Electrical Storm - Why? Because it's incredibly atmospheric, and Bono's voice is incredibly soothing. They need to play it live. :sad:

I love your avatar, a lot.

Electrical Storm has a lot of meaning to me because of a great relationship with a girl. It's kind of our song, apart from Radiohead's "Weird Fishes"...

Beautiful Day for the reasons mentioned in the quote above...

Walk On is just a great uplifting song with some of Bono's better lyrics this side of 2000, even if he does intentionally or unintentionally steal from Floyd's "Eclipse," and I love Edge's riff on this one. He does, too, apparently, since it shows up in Crumbs and Electrical Storm in short bits, if not that, then the chord progression.

Because in the end the message is even though there is this hardship everything's great so don't let it get away.

I think you're very wrong here. But I won't explain it to you because obviously that's the way you want to understand this song. Everyone can read whatever they want into these lyrics. But calling BD a "disaster" is ridiculous considering the fact that it's one of U2's iconic songs and brought the band back to a larger audience, it's still a key live moment for them as well.

Best U2 of the decade:

When I look at the world (Glad they don't play it live, live it couldn'be better than on the record)
The ground beneath her feet ( Supurb outtro)
Electrical storm (orbit)
The hands that build America (orbit + soundtrack movie)
Miracle drug (I love Edge's role in that song, should be done more like Seconds)
Crumbs from your table
Fast cars/Xanax and wine
Mercy (moves me deep, what an emotion, should be on the new album!!!!!!!!!)
Windows in the skies (Beautiful song especially with the U2-compilation vid)
Kite live from Down under (Extended instrumental part!)

I've heard Crumbs get compared to Walk On before, but I honestly don't hear it. The chord progression is similar-ish, but the tempo is entirely different. The guitar tone is about the same, so that may be part of it.

None of them. The U2 since 2000 suck.

Ok ok....there are a couple of songs I like.

Elevation - Rocks my face.
Kite - Beautiful song.
New York - Best song off of this album in my opinion.

Miracle Drug - First time I heard this I got teary eyed.
Sometimes You Can't Make It - First time I heard this a tear rolled down my face.
Fast Cars - Best song for the past 8 years.

Electrical Storm - Enjoyed the song then, and I still do.

Window in the Skies - Brilliant.

Beautiful Day - Fine song. Not amazing, but I love it because it was my first U2 song.
Kite - Cool studio, okay on Elevation Tour, absolutely breathtaking on the Vertigo Tour.
Vertigo - Fun rocker
City of Blinding Lights - Best song of the decade. One of the best they've ever made.
Electrical Storm - Very nice song, especially instrumentally. The lyrics could be improved. Would have been awesome on the Vertigo Tour.
Yahweh - :heart:
Window in the Skies - I do like this song, but its cheeriness can get old at times.
Stateless - Very nice, the direction I wish ATYCLB would have gone.
The Hands that Built America - Same as Stateless. I love this song. It brings out the Irishness in me.
Mercy - Very nice, could be improved.

I don't understand why anyone would like Crumbs. It just pisses me off and makes me want to listen to Achtung Baby.

None of them. The U2 since 2000 suck.

Ok ok....there are a couple of songs I like.

Elevation - Rocks my face.
Kite - Beautiful song.
New York - Best song off of this album in my opinion.

Miracle Drug - First time I heard this I got teary eyed.
Sometimes You Can't Make It - First time I heard this a tear rolled down my face.
Fast Cars - Best song for the past 8 years.

Electrical Storm - Enjoyed the song then, and I still do.

Window in the Skies - Brilliant.

So I guess 00s U2 don't really suck so much do they? :lol:

I liked your choices of Bomb songs.

A lot of people have mentioned live versions of Kite and for me, Kite is my second favorite U2 song after Bad and definitely the best this decade.

But I have to admit I only have one live version in my posession - one of the first live performances of Kite that they did on the Elevation tour.

Anyone know where I can get a really good live performance of Kite?

The Window in the Skies single.

Studio: Beautiful Day, Walk On, Kite, In a Little While, The Ground Beneath Her Feet, Electrical Storm, Native Son, Smile, Crumbs from Your Table, Original of the Species, Fast Cars

Live: Beautiful Day, Elevation, Walk On, Kite, In a Little While, Vertigo, Love and Peace or Else, City of Blinding Lights, Crumbs from Your Table, Original of the Species (full band), Fast Cars

And Beautiful Day's lyrics are not "everything's great," as I unfortunately had to read through quotes. They are "everything sucks, but it's probably for the best to appreciate what little's left going for you." Just because I don't want to cry or cut my wrists doesn't mean it's not a good lyric. It is.

Oh, I forgot to add a few.

Kite - Live Slane Castle Version *Incredibly emotional, and something about Bono's voice is god-like*
Window in the Skies *Great, great song, love Bono's voice in this song as well, and one of my favorite U2 melodies*
City of Blinding Lights *Edge's riff really is the core of this song, and the chorus reminds me of the 1989 Batman movie for some reason*

Back
Top Bottom