Your favorite(s) from this often overlooked aspect of U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tip Top Prince

War Child
Y'all know these parts:

Bono - Vocals
Edge - Guitar
Larry - Drums
Adam - Bass

Something I rarely (if ever?!?) see mentioned around here is:

Backing Vocals - and more specifically Vocal Harmonies. To me, this is one of the most distinctive parts of U2's sound. It was what first grabbed me by the "ear" (Gloria finish)

So rate your faves, here are some of mine.

Beautiful Day - "Daaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy"
Sunday Bloody Sunday - Chorus harmonies.
New Years Day - cool.
Three Sunrises - "Looooove song"
Gloria - the finish give me shivers EVERY time. (IMO, the very best)

Not sure if you're looking for a fave in each category or just fave backing vocals, but I will do 'em all

Vocals: WOWY, album version
Guitar: Too many to pick just one, but The Fly is right up there
Bass: Please single
Drums: Acrobat
Backing vocals: 3 Sunrises is tough to beat

all the little things that seem to be happening during drowning man that i seem to miss unless it's blasting at some insane volume from the moniters at the radio station. i'm sure a good pair of headphones or stereo speakers picks it up, but i have neither of those.

u2popmofo said:
Guitar riff in Please
Amazing what that Edge can do with his voice these days.

Anyway, regarding the original post: the background vox in "Wire" and "Even Better Than the Real Thing" are pretty cool too.

I'd have to go with the end guitar riff from With Or Without You as the song fades out. That guitar riff along with Larry's drumming and Adam's bass is definitely my favorite

PopTart said:
unsure what thread is about, however
For the illiterati: it's about your favorites from this overlooked aspect of U2. "This" being defined in the thread as backing vocals.

Heartland :up:
Love that.
And the "Daaaaaaaaaaaaay!" in Beautiful Day always makes me smile.
Maybe I'll think up some of my own for next time...

I remember about two years ago I mentioned in a thread devoted solely to my love of 'The three sunrises' how amazing the harmonies in it were and that it was such a great example of U2 harmonies- whilst the band in the harmony department may not be Simon & Garfunkel or Crosby, Stills & Nash- I have to say that when they do do it, it does sound so nice..

mmmmm three sunrises- great song:drool:

Favorite backing vocals...

Three sunrises and Heartland have the best backing vocals on records. (not to forget the "oh oh oh oh" finish part in Pride and the ending of North and south of the river)

Live, I like the Edge's voice in Pride (again, the "oh oh oh oh" part) I still haven't found..., Mysterious ways, Stay, Gone, Stuck.

As for both of them singing together, my favorites are Wild honey and Staring at the sun live.

Back
Top Bottom