Your favorite Larry songs on the Bomb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
Everyone always talks about Bono and Edge moments, and Adam has his share of threads, how about the drummer?

Sometimes - from the delicate drums in the verse, to the thumps in "listen to me now" and the powerful sounds in the "I know that we don't talk" till the end.

Love and peace or else - kind of glam rock stomp, the punch of the chorus and the finish.

One step closer - less is more, very subtle, yet effective.

Honorable mentions Vertigo/All because of you :rockon:

Miracle Drug: great drums. In the Spin article, Bono is doing the air drums in his car with the teenagers, before the album came out. I found myself doing the same thing - doing air drums - everytime I listen to that song in my car.

I'd have to go with ABOY - it's the most upbeat timing i've seen larry do since War

I think what larry is doing on COBL is impressive but it's very hard to hear (mixing:down: )

I think live, Larry will kill COBL

Larry's drumming simply is not prominent enough on the album, hence the lack of comments.

Axver said:
Larry's drumming simply is not prominent enough on the album, hence the lack of comments.

very good point. The mixing is awful and so Larry's drums are put in the background, but even still, he did another solid job on the new record...nothing spectacular though. He's a good drummer.

the drums on vertigo could have been so much ooomph..... i heard it played and hmv on the speakers and it could have been that much more with that extra larry beats. i want to feel the world shaking when larry plays the drums

:rockon: :rockon:

If you like loud, obnoxious drums, go listen to heavy metal (not that there's anything wrong with that, its just a totally different style). Larry knows when he should and should not play something. Some drummers will never know when to hold back and let the other band do some work. Larry is a key element to the band sounding good. As a drummer, I can hear the mixes very well except for the occasional tom beat here and there. I think my selective hearing makes it hard picking those out though.
IMHO, Love and Peace Or Else isn't all that difficult of a drum part, but its just the right thing to play for that song. I think it sounds similar to Silver and Gold in some way.
I'd have to say Vertigos drums were tuned down because it was the popular hit and they wanted to make the vocals stand out more than anything. There are a few mixes to Vertigo, so who knows what the deal is with that. lol
Sometimes... has an incredible drum part. It is a decieving song in the fact that it takes a while to get to any real drums, but when they do... they come with a classic snare and tom fill.
Miracle Drug is my favorite drum part on the album by far. The toms are very punchy yet they are musical at the same time. The fill right before the edge starts singing is perfect. So 'Larry.'
Well that's enough of my rant.

My favourite Larry songs on HTDAAB:

Vertigo and ABOY, very rock.

Sometimes and Original: simple but effective

LAPOE: In my opinion the best work of this album in termos of percusion.

City needs another production!

Vox

I think this is one of Larry's best albums. His drumming on this record shows how important he is to the songwritting of the songs. A great exemple is at the end of Yahweh and specially his amazing drumming on COBL and the beautiful simplicity on Sometimes. I think he's better than ever.

City Of Blinding Lights
Yawhew
Vertigo
Mirace Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
All Because Of You

macphisto07 said:
If you like loud, obnoxious drums, go listen to heavy metal (not that there's anything wrong with that, its just a totally different style).

So you're saying WAR is heavy metal? The drums on The Refugee or Like A Song cannot compare to anything from the Bomb.

He does mix it up, how many rock bands outside Ireland utilize the bodhran? Or the conga?

--------------

I like the drums on City, I think he's using brushes for it, or at least for the beginning, and those on "A Man & a Woman."

"Can you hear the drummer slowin'"....Larry stops drumming in One Step Closer as you hear these lyrics.

Oh yeah, and Miracle Drug rules as well.

Back
Top Bottom