Your CHEESIEST U2 song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
neatperson42 said:

maybe they wanted a reason to put the video on the 18 videos dvd. Can't really know for sure though...
If only they had found an excuse to put the videos to Saints or WITS on it - such as having those songs on the albu........ohh yeah.

Bono's shades said:
Please, please tell me all you people who are naming One as a cheesy U2 song are just trying to be smart-asses.

Maybe they're talking about that weepy live version at Modena or whatever.

ohhh the video conspiracy

digitize said:

How the hell did it end up on U218?

They were picking the most radio popular singles. Wish they'd drop that and two of the ATYCLB songs and put on IWF, Gloria and Discotheque instead (and Stay as a hidden song, if there's enough place on the disc).

Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses - for "baby, can we still be friends" line alone.

Elevation (the single mix) - the album original is a fun silly rock song. But that opening E-LE-VA-SHHOOOON on the single version just fills my nostrils with cheddar, :evil:

Sweetest Thing - love the song, but um yeah it's cheesy.

Probably Window In The Skies - though I do like the track.

But the one U2 song that I find irritatingly Cheesy is Love Rescue Me

One thing I've noticed on ER is that most people hate 'Love Rescue Me.' I sometimes post on a Bob Dylan site, and this song came up once, and I noticed that all the Dylan fans loved it.

One thing about U2 fans --- they hate U2 songs!

It can be argued that many of rock's greatest songs have lyrics that some might call "cheesy". U2 isn't the only band guilty of this. ".

Examples

Beatles - Hey Jude

"Hey Jude, don't make it bad...Take a sad song, and make it better"

The Smiths - How Soon is Now

'I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"

G'N'R - Sweet Child of Mine

"Her hair reminds me
of a warm safe place
Where as a child I'd hide"

Even rock's perhaps most famous song - Zep's Stairway to Heaven- has a lyric that could be called cheesy:

"If there's a bustle in your hedgerow
Don't be alarmed now
It's just a spring clean for the May Queen"

The songs a lot of people have mentioned are could be viewed as a lot cheesier than any U2 song people have mentioned (Especially U2's gem "One"...sacrilege!)...and they are all brilliant songs.

^When I say One is cheesy, I don't mean the lyrics. I mean the pimp music with which it's played on the album.

I've had this discussion with a few songwriters, and I've come to the conclusion that 'cheese avoidance' for the sake of writing something a bit more clever or 'intelligent' and not being percieved as cheesy is false and the enemy of art moreso than cheese. Let's face it, honest music comes from honest emotion, and emotion IS "cheesy". Emotion is not intelligent, witty or clever, it's emotion. If Morrissey writes 'I am human and I need to be loved', the brilliance is in his willingness to lay his soul bare like that, and (ostensibly) not sit there agonizing over how he could perhaps phrase it less cheesily/more cleverly. Letting that lyric out and sharing it with the world - THAT is the brilliance, to me.

I'm probably not explaining this idea I have well. But then again how do you "explain" great music? It's great for many reasons, and a huge part of the greatness of great music to me is honesty.

Sweetest Thing '98 .....

The $ is so obvious , because POP wasn't what the band expected , so they threw a "Best Of" together , and it probably ruined them.

Ever since, they have tried to live up to being the band they were in the 80's , but it just doesn't work.

U2 is only about $ at this stage.

:wave:

gvox said:
I've had this discussion with a few songwriters, and I've come to the conclusion that 'cheese avoidance' for the sake of writing something a bit more clever or 'intelligent' and not being percieved as cheesy is false and the enemy of art moreso than cheese. Let's face it, honest music comes from honest emotion, and emotion IS "cheesy". Emotion is not intelligent, witty or clever, it's emotion.
excellent stuff :up:

LeafsNation said:

The Smiths - How Soon is Now

'I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"

That's not cheese, not if it's coming from Morrissey. If it comes from Morrissey, it's genuine. There is nothing intentionally or inadvertantly cheesy about it, it's just pure emotion.

Saracene said:
Sweetest Thing - love the song, but um yeah it's cheesy.

Same here.

I think Electrical Storm is cheesy. Or maybe it's the video that really gives it the cheese factor. I'm not sure.

gvox said:
I've had this discussion with a few songwriters, and I've come to the conclusion that 'cheese avoidance' for the sake of writing something a bit more clever or 'intelligent' and not being percieved as cheesy is false and the enemy of art moreso than cheese. Let's face it, honest music comes from honest emotion, and emotion IS "cheesy". Emotion is not intelligent, witty or clever, it's emotion. If Morrissey writes 'I am human and I need to be loved', the brilliance is in his willingness to lay his soul bare like that, and (ostensibly) not sit there agonizing over how he could perhaps phrase it less cheesily/more cleverly. Letting that lyric out and sharing it with the world - THAT is the brilliance, to me.

I'm probably not explaining this idea I have well. But then again how do you "explain" great music? It's great for many reasons, and a huge part of the greatness of great music to me is honesty.

Awesome post! You did a great job of explaining it!

Holy shit! How did you manage to change your username? :eeklaugh: Alter!? :shifty:

gvox said:

:yes:

Agree with you 1000%.

I can't believe no one else has said it:

Stuck in a Moment. Not just cheese, but bright yellow processed cheese spread.

Yes, I delurked just to say that. LOL.

gvox said:

Eloquently explained - thank you :up:

Back
Top Bottom