young u2 fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
doctorwho said:

<--- cries at the thought of the music of the late 80's and early 90's now being considered "old". :sad:

That's the music I grew up with...I feel old. I'm on the back-9 towards 30.

I showed my sister that a song she likes, (not sure the name, but it samples "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell) was sorta copied from another song. She's young, so I didn't give her a lecture on what "sampling" is but she got the idea after I let her listen to a compilation of "Big 80's hits" I have.

She liked the original better. ;) She also liked the compilation CD.

She's a bit of U2 fan now cos of her big sister. When she was 5 she loved the song "El-el-ation." She's only 8 now, but her favourite song right now is "When You were Young" by the Killers. The last time it was "Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol. I don't think my sister even cares that those 2 songs she likes are by people my age or a bit older.

The first time I remember hearing a U2 song, was when I was 8 or 9 when I saw the "Unforgettable Fire" video.

Then there was "hold me thrill me kiss me kill me," which was my favourite song at that time, but didn't really start to get "into" their music until I was 18, when I heard "Beautiful Day" on the radio.

I was a "song by song" type of music listener as a teen, itunes would've really appealed to me back then I must say. I'd like a song, but to consciously go out and find out more about who did the song, or buy an entire album because I liked one or two songs from the same person...nope.

Actually at the time (my early teens) I thought U2 was another band from the 'grunge' genre. :reject:

:blueeyedgirl:I'm curious, and this is a genuine question, why are you all fans of such old farts?? I look at all the artists I love and they're only a bit older than I am. If I were 15 today, I don't think I'd be into a band that is older than most parents

Er...no thanks, you can keep Britney Spears' music all to yourself. Not a big fan of Christina Aguilera either.

The "artists" who are a few years older than me who I actually like...or can stand: Coldplay, the Killers, Franz Ferdinand, Razorlight, Keane (some of their songs), Editors, but ye know, I like the Who, the Clash, and a bunch of other bands whose members are old enough to be one of my parents.

Music can appeal to anyone. Does the age of the music makers determine whether people will like it or be fans of them?

The Beatles are considered "Oldies" by one local radio station in the city I live in.

I'm sure there's some youngins out there who love the Beatles.

Last edited:
^ :wave: I like the Beatles! My parents didnt' do U2 to pass it on to me but I grew up with Abbey Road in the car - it was the only Beatles album my mom had on cassette (she has all the records and now the CDs).

But most of the "oldies" stations where I live have gone from 50s-60s-70s to 60s-70s-80s in the past few years.

I prefer 'oldies' because music these days is crap....

Britney spears
Christina aguilera
<insert random rapper here>
Coldplay (Sorry CP Fans!)

I cant stand those stupid bimbo's, neither can I stand videoclips with slutty halfnaked women, it takes away from the song...

oh, and I just don't like Chris Martin's whining...

^ I don't actually class that stuff as music.. i mean u2 songs and christina aguilera songs just aren't in the same category.
I hate chris martin with a passion. He needs to stop trying too hard to be bono! Coldplays first album is bearable, but their second just stinks of trying to be u2. No one can be u2!

I'm 15 if anyone is curious. :wink: I became a fan back in 2002 when I saw the Elevation Boston show on television and bought Achtung Baby.

I became a fanatic the day I heard the Joshua Tree in may of that year. Still am. :)

Im 37,a young 37 and I started listening to them around the time WAR came out.Their music is like a photo albumn in my head.It always takes me back! I remember waiting on line to see Rattle and Hum.I was not disapointed at all!Everyone sang and it was great! I encourage all you young people to explore the musical journey that is U2. They are responsible for me finding my soul.

partygirlvox said:
^ I don't actually class that stuff as music.. i mean u2 songs and christina aguilera songs just aren't in the same category.
I hate chris martin with a passion. He needs to stop trying too hard to be bono! Coldplays first album is bearable, but their second just stinks of trying to be u2. No one can be u2!

:happy: Glad to found a mate in this!

Chris martin having a voice like Bono on the War album? :laugh: deam on boyo! You don't even sound like Bono when he was 16 and couldn't sing a note!

:hmm: well you're pretty right that you can't compare the music.... cuz pop is a whole different league.... people claim U2 became commercial, but they're no way close to any of these attentionwhores!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom